10 Gallon Dwarf Seahorse

stephanthegreat

Hello, I am new to the world of saltwater. I have kept various tropical freshwater tanks (as of right now, I have 110g African Cichlid tank). This fall, I'm off to college and looking to bring a 10g tank I have sitting in my garage. As I was looking for what kind of fish to put in it, I stumbled across the idea of Dwarf Seahorses. There are a ton of questions I have. I have been doing a ton of reading on nano saltwater tanks and more specifically, seahorse tanks and there seems to be no special equipment besides a filter and heater.

So here are my questions:
Do I need other equipment? If so, what would I need?
I understand that water changes must be very often. How often? I read someplace that it's every day and another place said once a week.
This also can't be the most expensive tank in the world. I am a college student and I don't have a lot of money. I understand that saltwater is all around more expensive but I can't drop $200 on this tank. So if that's the case, stop me now.
Lastly, I will be at college and will have to come home a couple times a year. Will the car ride stress them out to no end? Is that just not an option?

I love fish and would absolutely love an aquarium in my dorm and have it be my distraction from school (healthy distraction of course). If seahorses are a bad idea but another kind of saltwater species would work, I'm open to suggestions.

lmforbis

Everything I've read about dwarf sea horses has said they are very difficult to keep. Certainly not appropriate for a first time saltwater tank. They are difficult to feed and need pristine water and it needs to be on the cooler side requiring a chiller.
10 gallons is very small for salt water. One small fish like a goby and that's about it.

jay0705

Agreed, the Dwarf part lends people to think small tank. Not so much with these guys. Not that they need a huge tank,just that there other needs are more easily met with a larger tank

stephanthegreat

In response to your comment on the tank size, these dwarf seahorses are so small that you can't do a bigger tank. They don't swim around too much and they need the food to plentiful enough to make a snow effect so they can grab it from their hitch. With a bigger tank, you would have to add a ton more food to ensure that it gets to all parts of the tank and in doing that, you compromise water quality.

Anyway, I can't do seahorses. I can't hatch brine shrimp all the time on top of tank maintenance. If anyone has any other ideas for a 10 gallon tank I'd love to hear them. I would really like to get into saltwater and am willing to do so with this tank. I would rather not do live rock and such due to the extra equipment. I'm not to fond of the idea that my pet rock could get stressed out and die.

bang guy

Look into having a Tiger Pistol Shrimp and some type of Shrimp Goby like an Antenna Goby. Very easy to care for and very entertaining.