100 gallon just ordered

dexter

Well the plunge has been taken!
Put deposit on 100gallon tank, stand and canopy (drilled) last week and will be working with my trusted LFS for getting it set up with sump, plumbing, lighting, etc...
Question 1: Not planning on MH lighting, goingwith 4 VHO's across entire hood. will this lighting be adequate for softies and most anemones? I'll have room for the MH later down the road, however, witha new tank and all, I can't see spending the $500+/- for Mh lighting until my 100 gallon has matured.

Question 2: Also, from everything I've read, a refugium is mainly beneficial when you have corals? :notsure: Or is it beneficialnecessary for a fowlr/soft corals/shrooms/etc...

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I progress, so thanks in advance for your thoughts and insight and I'll post my progress into the 100 gallon. :joy:
Dxtr - :happyfish

joker_ca

i cant help you on your lighting question, but a refuguim will be benefical for all systems. It'll help to bring nitrates down and reduce diatoms and provide a food source for fish and corals
also congrats on your new tank

lion_crazz

Congratulations on your new tank.
As to your fuge question, a refugium helps any type of tank. It keeps my nitrates on 210 FOWLR quite low.
What wattage are the 4 VHO's??

1journeyman

Grats on the tank.
Lighting sounds weak to me for anemones.. It's tough to shell out the cash, but the lighting you choose really does make a huge impact.
Refugium is a great addition, but not neccessary for a fowlr. One of the less talked about benefits of sumps/refugiums is the additional gallons of water you add to your system. The more the better. so, anything you add a refugium to will benefit. Also, a refugium makes a great refuge for injured fish, babies, etc. (as in my case... insanely aggressive hitchhiker crab from some Caribbean live rock. He now aggressively patrols my refugium)

dexter

thanks for all the replies! Lighting is probably my more serious consideration for the 100 gallon, as it is one area I do not plan on skimping!

Dougai - got the tank from my LFS, $500 for the tank, stand and canopy, tank drilled also. After all that I read the last 4 months, this sounded too good to pass up for a new tank! :jumping:
:jumping:
Not sure what wattage or power for VHO's. I'll be lining that up w/ the LFS this weekend. Please let me know what you all think is good for FOWLR/mushrooms/anemones (mainly BTAs and other hardier species) definately Zoos and softies? :help: I will be leaving room for the MH's that I'll prolly get next year...

Thanks again for your thoughts/suggestions!

Dxtr - :happyfish

1968oldsma

what is it like maybe 5-7 watts per gallon for anemones and stuff like that i might be wrong but give or take a little. I would get the Metal hallides now if i were if that is wha tyou are planning on doing in the future no sense in spending that much money twice you know for vho's and MH's later on down the road.

maurice

Dex,
Congrats on the new tank,i just ordered one also,but it is a 200g and just the tank is a grand,sounds like you got a good deal.I am going with 3-60"VHO and 2-400w MH in my new tank.If i were you i would go ahead and get your lighting that you want from the start that way you don't spend twice the money in the long run,like i did the first time.
Be sure to keep us updated on the progress of the new system,i will start posting my new progress on tuesday if the tank comes in like planned.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Maurice
Dex,
Congrats on the new tank,i just ordered one also,but it is a 200g and just the tank is a grand,sounds like you got a good deal.I am going with 3-60"VHO and 2-400w MH in my new tank.If i were you i would go ahead and get your lighting that you want from the start that way you don't spend twice the money in the long run,like i did the first time.
Be sure to keep us updated on the progress of the new system,i will start posting my new progress on tuesday if the tank comes in like planned.

i think you'll probably want to double those halides. I've got two 175 HQI halides on just the right side of my 210. (I avoided the higher watts since I've got 6 inches of sand in it.. didn't figure I needed the intensity of 400w). Got two more on order.

texasmetal

Cool. I got my 100 gallon on an online auction for $200, tank, stand, top. It was 6 months old and used for lizards before.

team2jndd

Hey. I would not recommend doing anemones or soft corals under that lighting. What I would do is run the tank with what you have and only stock it with a cleaning crew lr ls and fish for however long it takes you to be able to buy the MH's. Trust me I know how bad it sucks to have to shell out that cash but you will lose more money if you rush into something your tank cant keep. Anemones and other corals normally do better in an established tank anyway so it would be better to wait on them reguardless. The last thing you want is dead anemones poisoning your tank. I just built a 38 gallon fuge for my new reef today and I think that a reef is the only way to go. I run several forms of filtration on my tanks but the fuge and skimmer are the most important by far. This is just my opinion though there are plenty of people on this site who will disagree with me. Whatever you decide to do good luck.

dexter

thanks all for your thoughts and replies! tis a real big step and all advise is definately appreciated.

I have my LFS setting me up with a closed loop, sump, top of the line skimmer, etc. total cost so far is around $2500.00 not including LR...yet.

As far as lighting, I'm going with the 4 VHO's with room to put MH when I can. It's going to be awhile before I can even think of corals and anemone's, so 4-6 months down the road I figure I'll get the MH. The LFS is installing 2 fans int he canopy also that will provide circulation for the MH when I get them.
Thanks again and all thoughts and ideas are very much appreciated!

Dxtr -

dexter

Wel, to say I am excited is an understatement!!
My 100 gallon should be ready by Oct. 1 or the 7th by the latest~!! wooohoooo

Wife is giving birth to our daughter on Wed or thurs next week (maybe sooner?!? :scared: ) So I am hoping it will be ready by the 1st of October. I'm taking a week or so off work and it would be an excellent time to get eh 100 set up!

Anyhoo, once I can figure out how to get my pictures down to 500x500 instead of 3000x3000 I'll be able to post some pics.
Question: I know 100 gallon is considered "average" size, maybe a little above average for saltwater, however, are there still some fish out there that would not be suited for a 100 gallon fowlr tank? I was thinking of an eel, however, am cautious and will be reading up on them while in the hospital!

tank care everyone and tanks again for your thoughts and Ideas!!
Dxtr
ps - prolly going to get my MH, RO/DI filter, and "top off" set up before end of october.

maurice

Dex,
Congrats on the new tank,and baby!
You will have both hands full now and not near enough time to think strait. lol Keep us all posted on the progress,i got my new tank home this past wednesday.Congrats again!

dexter

Gratz on getting the tank home Maurice!
200 Gallons eh? you going for corals eventually or fish/lr?
I'm thinking I may turn my current 30 gal into a coral tank. Not sure yet tho.
Keep us posted Maurice! and once my wife teaches me how to resize pictures, I'll have an entire photo album to post!!

Peace! - Dxtr -

dexter

email sent. thanks maurice! Hopefully after my baby girl arives i can get Photoshop installed =)
Thanks again! - Dxtr -

maurice

Dexter
I didn't even realize you are in pensacola,i am north of milton in jay!BTW if you need any other pics posted just send them to me and i will get them posted!