10k vs 14k vs 20k pics

nietzsche

Originally Posted by azaintcold
3-250 14k's. Coralvue's.

is that color accurate? i have 14k phoenix which doesnt look blue at all powered by an icecap electronic ballast.
do you know if the par is good on that bulb?

J

jrthomas40

that is an awesome color...i havent heard much about colorvue's products

ibew

well then you must supplement with something else because every tank I have seen with pheniox 14ks have been looking alittle blue for sure or you might not have a 14k

ibew

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
those are coralvues though and not phoenix
talking about nietzsche response not yours sorry I should have hit quote.

J

jrthomas40

oh ok...i should have caught up on the thread before putting my 2 cents in...lol...but yeah there is another guy with pics up in the lighting and equipment thread with phoenix bulbs and his are really blue too...looks almost like digitydash's 20ks

azaintcold

Originally Posted by nietzsche
is that color accurate? i have 14k phoenix which doesnt look blue at all powered by an icecap electronic ballast.
do you know if the par is good on that bulb?

The color is fairly accurate. I can't tell you what the par is exactly but I did research before buying them and they were comparable to the other brands.

azaintcold

Originally Posted by Kevin34
Azaintcold, do you have any tips for keeping a powder blue? Would one be ok in a 125 along with a powder brown?

Just don't buy them online, since they aren't the most hardy critters as I'm sure you know. I searched for about 3 months from petshop to petshop before I found this guy. Healthy specimen. Make sure you see him eat at the LFS. I feed him a dried seaweed strip every day, and he picks at the mysis I feed every other day. Unfortunately as far as the powder brown is concerned, they aren't supposed to be kept with Tangs of the same body shape, so I would say either go with one or the other.

stanlalee

a powder blue and brown are probably one of the worse combo's you could try to attempt, just too simular in look and too different in temperament. perhaps if added at the same time and same size. bigger tank than 125g would probably help.
aquamedic 10000 (suppose to actually be 13k)
last pic thread

nietzsche

my phoenix 14k bulb is not blue at all to me.. its really weird.. i dont use my actinics but if i did it would look a litle blue, but not like the ones here
i bought them thinking they would look blue like the pics here

teen

mine are kinda blue. perfect amount imo, i dnt like a lot of blue. i like to see the real colors of the corals.

J

jrthomas40

i will stop adding questions soon i promise...but how is the growth with those??

J

jrthomas40

so you just run that one bulb for how many hours with no actinics?

teen

1 bulb, no actinics, about 10 hours a day. growth is real good, but i cant just contribute that to the lighting. i plan on trying a 10-12k next considering im not a fan of the blue, and id like to see if i can get even better growth.

J

jrthomas40

i like the blue but i dont want it to be like actinic blue...and i am thinking that if they are blue like yours with just 1 then 2 maybe a little extra blue...

badboyj

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
I am in the process of looking for some new bulbs and i would like to see some pics of everyones tank that have 10ks, 14k, 20k...when you post please list the type of bulb and manufacturer
how about 15k , I have 4-15k , 250 watt MH (XM) bulbs on my 215 gal (1000 watt total ) , let me know if you want to see pics , there is not much going on in the tank but about 10 fish and about 5oolbs of LR , just finished doing some final work on it over the weekend , (hooked the new chiller up) so I have to do a water change and check levels then ready to start the reef , if you want to see those bulbs on a bare tank let me know.....