12+ inch worm!!

mastertech

here is a pic. its over 12 inches long and black and smooth. with no other defineing characteristics. no fangs or claws. dont know?

cranberry

Whoa! That's awesome. If it is indeed a Nemertean, I would remove it. There are only a few that aren't predatory. He could be one... but ya don't know. Not that you necessarily would worry about some things they eat... like other worms.
You could set up a dedicated little tank for it. Or IF you didn't want him I would be very very very happy to send you shipping supplies and cover all costs ... if you were going to go the disposal route.

mastertech

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3190862
Whoa! That's awesome. If it is indeed a Nemertean, I would remove it. There are only a few that aren't predatory. He could be one... but ya don't know. Not that you necessarily would worry about some things they eat... like other worms.
You could set up a dedicated little tank for it. Or IF you didn't want him I would be very very very happy to send you shipping supplies and cover all costs ... if you were going to go the disposal route.
is there a trap i could use? or will i just need to wait and hunt it out?

bang guy

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3190862

+1
Some of these worms can grow to be over 100 feet long. They will not eat coral or fish but they will eat anything they can catch under rocks and in the sand bed.

mastertech

i have looked and looked and found very little information about these worms. basics and thats about it. i have a hard time believeing that these worms live inside the rocks inside my tank. i have a firm suspicion that this thing lives in the sand. the last place i saw it was burrowing under a small rock. i removed the rock and did not see it. i felt through the substrate but did not go very deep. i would just about bet that if i removed all the rock and screened the sand i would find it. but i really dont know if it is worth all the trouble. i asked the prior owner (of 5 yrs) and he has never seen it. i have spend a culmination of days and days looking into this tank and have never seen it. there has never been any sort of missing fish or deaths. i have lost a couple small snails but i really thing the crabs are killing the small ones for a easy meal. if i see it i will catch it but i dont think im going to spend a whole day in tear down and rebuid for something that has never affected me.....?

socalnano24

I am honestly amazed how many HUGE hitchiker worms people find on an apparent regular basis.
Cran, do you know how fast some of these worms grow, considering you now have a bobbit worm? I'm curious if these things take 3 or 4 years to get to size in peoples tanks, (depending on how big they come in as typically)

bang guy

mastertech;3191275 said:
i have looked and looked and found very little information about these worms. basics and thats about it. i have a hard time believeing that these worms live inside the rocks inside my tank. i have a firm suspicion that this thing lives in the sand. QUOTE]
They live in the sand bed although they do like to stay underneath rocks. They have the ability to "swim" through sand and they are very fast. I don't know how you would catch one. Your fish are not in danger.

fretfreak13

if it would swim through the sand like Bang Guy said, and doesn't eat fish or coral I would personally leave it. Good sand sifter, no?

bang guy

Originally Posted by Fretfreak13
http:///forum/post/3191480
if it would swim through the sand like Bang Guy said, and doesn't eat fish or coral I would personally leave it. Good sand sifter, no?
Not really. It will eventually eat all of the sandbed infauna.