120 Build

lcaldwell85

Hello fellow fish-heads! It's been awhile since I've posted but I've definitely been surfing and viewing! Well, my husband has completed his official transformation into salt-water dorkdom and has purchased me a slightly used 120 gallon tank. It was am amazing steal, though it needs a little work. (Faux wood finish in plastic, will be sprayed with black plastic spraypaint, and the back of the tank must be painted black) It will be awhile before we save up the fundage for the sump filtration, and the lighting... But we plan to go with Halides to promote coral growth. My husband is also going to build the stand! Of course I'm dreaming in fish for the tank already..... I know I want an Emperor Angel, but it will be my last addition to the tank due to territory issues. Anyone have any stocking ideas for a tank this size? As soon as we start on our little adventure I will be updating with regular pics! Just thought I'd let you all in on the good news!

rickross23

No emperor angel. Sorry, but these get too big. I have a 120g also. My stock list is this...
2 Ocellaris clownfish
4 green chromis
1 cleaner wrasse
1 yellow tang
1 diamond goby ( died, killed himself)
I plan to add this
Diamond goby
Black tail anampses wrasse
Red mandarin dragonet
I take it you like BIG fish, since you like the emperor. If you do, I suggest you get a bigger tank, or else you are limited on fish stock. Is your tank the 4' standard 120g or the 5' 120g?.

lcaldwell85

I've read on lots of sites that as long as it's over a hundred gallons it's okay for an emperor to be present. Is that not the case? It's the 4'.

lcaldwell85

Quoted directly from fishlore: "The Emperor Angelfish is also known in some parts of the world as the Imperator or Imperial Angelfish and is one of the more expensive marine fish to purchase. Because of the price of the Emperor Angelfish and because they are not necessarily as hardy as some of the other marine angels you will need a completely cycled tank before you even think of introducing one. They can get quite large, 15 inches (38 cm), and need to be kept in at least a 100 gallon (568 liters) aquarium. A very large tank with plenty of live rock that can provide hiding places is a good setup for Emperor Angelfish."
It wouldn't be okay with a very limited stock list?

rickross23

Quoted directly from fishlore: "The Emperor Angelfish is also known in some parts of the world as the Imperator or Imperial Angelfish and is one of the more expensive marine fish to purchase. Because of the price of the Emperor Angelfish and because they are not necessarily as hardy as some of the other marine angels you will need a completely cycled tank before you even think of introducing one. They can get quite large, 15 inches (38 cm), and need to be kept in at least a 100 gallon (568 liters) aquarium. A very large tank with plenty of live rock that can provide hiding places is a good setup for Emperor Angelfish."
It wouldn't be okay with a very limited stock list?
Go buy it. It's your tank. Put a 15" fish in a 48" box. Go ahead. Don't expect a healthy, active fish. These fish need 200+ gallon tanks to thrive. The sites that say they can be kept in 100+ gallon tanks either sell the fish or don't know what they are talking about. A good idea for fish tank size requirements is ***********.

meowzer

Here are some tank stats from a more reputable source

QUICK STATS

Minimum Tank Size: 220 gallons

Care Level: Moderate

Temperament: Semi-aggressive

Reef Compatible: With Caution

Water Conditions
http://javascript:popupWindow(: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025

Max. Size
http://javascript:popupWindow(: 1' 3"

Color Form
http://javascript:popupWindow(: Black, Blue, White, Yellow

Diet
http://javascript:popupWindow(: Omnivore

efinement_definition.cfm?rid=15', 50, 50, 450, 400, 'scrollbars')" s_oc="null" sab="504">Compatibility: View Chart

Origin: Africa, Fiji, Indonesia, Maldives, New Caledonia, Sri Lanka, Vanuatu

Family
http://javascript:popupWindow(: Pomacanthidae

lcaldwell85

Wow, Rick. Defensive much? It was just a question... LOL.... A lot of the time I think rude responses is what keeps people on the "viewing" forum list instead of on the "actively posting" forum. You're right, it is my tank, and I do want what's best for it. Hence my question "Even lightly stocking?" Before your hostile response. Too often I think people in this hobby forget it's just that. A hobby, that people do for enjoyment. It's not an elite club or a science project, so there's no need to be so edgy. If you take the fun out of the hobby with hostility, what's the point in doing it? But hey, thanks for the timely responses. And thank you for the corrected stats, Meowzer. I'll take that into heavy consideration before I start stocking the tank when it's up and running.

rickross23

Wow, Rick. Defensive much? It was just a question... LOL.... A lot of the time I think rude responses is what keeps people on the "viewing" forum list instead of on the "actively posting" forum. You're right, it is my tank, and I do want what's best for it. Hence my question "Even lightly stocking?" Before your hostile response. Too often I think people in this hobby forget it's just that. A hobby, that people do for enjoyment. It's not an elite club or a science project, so there's no need to be so edgy. If you take the fun out of the hobby with hostility, what's the point in doing it? But hey, thanks for the timely responses. And thank you for the corrected stats, Meowzer. I'll take that into heavy consideration before I start stocking the tank when it's up and running.
Not defensive at all. I don't want to hear how yoy bought the angel and it doesn't move much or what not. I want the best for fish.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaldwell85 http:///t/391909/120-build#post_3477881
Well said!!! We do this for enjoyment.
You got Rickrossed for the first time (no harm meant Rick!!). Happens to all of us. He is very quick to respond and lacks that internal filter.
But he really means no harm.
I think that Meowzer and Rickross said the same thing, but in very different ways. Its your tank and you can do what ever you want with it. Maybe there is a different angel that would thrive in your system??

lcaldwell85

What about a scribbled? I know they're fairly expensive, but they have the look of a juvenile emperor, which obviously I like. LOL

lcaldwell85

Ah, crud. Same tank requirements. Anyone know anything that mimics the look of these two fish but can handle the 120 confines?

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaldwell85 http:///t/391909/120-build#post_3477894
Ah, crud.
Same tank requirements. Anyone know anything that mimics the look of these two fish but can handle the 120 confines?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=LIVE+AQUARIA
Check out the first non paid link. I believe that this is the same site Meowzer is getting the Angel stats from. There are like 5 or 6 Angels that would it into a 125g and do well.

lcaldwell85

I find it pretty hard to find anything I like in Dwarfs aside from Coral Beauties. The Singapore has a mask resembling the Emperor, which I really like. I've never seen that fish before. And score, Sweatervest! It only needs 120 gallons!
I keep threatening my husband I'm going to drylock the basement and fill it full of salt-water and fish so we can just go scubadiving. No problems keeping an emperor there, huh, Rickross?