120 gal tank help sqidd/ lion crazz / anyone!!!!!!!!

while i was a way (not posting) i worked on the DIY stand for the tank and here is some of the work done
i built it made some doors then when they were done i remanded them you'll see the doors on the next post
and i painted it
atomic blue and silver lol
from my perspective it looks the bomb
:jumping:

i am updating my work just like i said i would saltn00b and for all of you that need help heres a thread you guys might want to look at :thinking:
and here is the finish product

saltn00b

hey nice, everything is coming along nicely!
for the fuge, people have successfully used halogen work lights from home depot type stores, to NO's , HO (T-5) - VHOs... i think MH is way over board but if you really wanted you could, i guess.

ok i have runned into a prob with the plumbing
the sump/refuge you guys/gals saw above, well i bought it used and it is not drilled
now for the question
is there some sort of height the hole has to be drilled at in case of a blackout?
i dont want to find my room flooded one day while im away or asleep
is there some sort of way the OVFB and the pump have to be set up?
are there any special parts you have to use to prevent this?

saltn00b

your sump doesnt need to be drilled if you have a submersible pump - i dont remember which you have for a return, tho. other than that make sure the return spray outlet should have a little hole drilled in it around the water line to prevent a back syphon during power loss.

aquaman2000

i have an external pump
the model sequence just like your external pump
so what can i do
what can i use
do i drill or not drill
what type of set up do i do

i have an external pump
so what can i do
what can i use
do i drill or not drill

if i were to drill the shump/fuge what type of hole should i do i have a 2" pump inlet

Originally Posted by antologia2007
the sump/refuge you guys/gals saw above, well i bought it used and it is not drilled
now for the question
is there some sort of height the hole has to be drilled at in case of a blackout? Found this answer, height dose not matter but it is best if its near the botom
i have an external pump
so what can i do
what can i use
do i drill or not drill
i guess no one knows the answer
well on to another question

to think that the tank would have been completed by now
double

what is keeping me from completing it has been the plumbing
probably it will be finished by this week
im thinking on drilling the tank hope i dont crack it ill be :mad: if i do
SO the question i have i haven't seen or just haven't search that well is
what type of rock is the best you can find out there
Miyaki live rock
Marshall Island Live rock
Tonga
Fiji Premium
Carribean live rock?
which type of rock is very porous with less of a dense in structure(to sum it in a nut shell which is the best to have)?
but above all which type can be best used for aquascaping?

now for the question
is there some sort of height the hole has to be drilled at in case of a blackout? Found this answer, height dose not matter but it is best if its near the botom
i have an external pump
so what can i do
what can i use
do i drill or not drill

i guess no one knows the answer
well on to another question

to think that the tank would have been completed by now
double

SO the question i have i haven't seen or just haven't search that well is
what type of rock is the best you can find out there
Miyaki live rock
Marshall Island Live rock
Tonga
Fiji Premium
Carribean live rock?
which type of rock is very porous with less of a dense in structure(to sum it in a nut shell which is the best to have)?
but above all which type can be best used for aquascaping?

saltn00b

instead of asking what do i do, you should post up plans on what you are thinking so people can critique it. it's hard to visualize what you are having trouble with.
is the tank glass or acrylic? if it's glass, especially the bottom pane, check to see if it is tempered, becuase if it is, you will break it into a million pieces. otherwise you should be fine.
the best LR - idk , i guess Marshall Island , but i have never heard of anyone having anything other than fiji and tonga . everything is just rediculously expensive and you run that much more risk of bad hitchhikers. even if it looks super cool, it will eventually be covered in coral anyway , right?
porous and less dense is Lava rock which i have haerd of people using, but you have to be careful with that and where its from because lava is full of minerals and could poison your tank.

[/COLOR]

Got some bad news on this but ill post about it later

well on with the qestion
i havent seen any incidents of the following sort but i think some one would have gone through this, or have some information regarding it
As stated in previous posts i have a 120 gal tank, i will put 150lbs or rock and 90 lbs of sand in it plus about 90 gals of water.
the question i have is, has anybody ever experience their tank braking the floor and falling to the ground.
im afraid that if i set it up and over time the floor might get weak and break
the reason i ask this is because my house is raised about 2 feet from the ground and i think it was built around 1965, also the floor is the wood type
any opionions

does any one have their floor raised also and have no probs with the weight of the tank?

d.w.

dimensions are 60lx18wx24h
and the stand is 58x15x26
Forgive me if someone else has already brought this up, but shouldn't the stand be larger than the tank? Won't there be overhang? I'm no expert but I thought that wasn't good for the tank! :notsure:
Sorry...I only read through 1st page when I posted this!!

joncat24

If I were you with a house on a crawl space that was built that long ago, I would put some supports under the floor joists where the tank will be. I used pressure treated 4x4's and 2x6's under my 180 with a 55 gallon fuge, and it worked out fine.

joncat24

Originally Posted by D.W.
Forgive me if someone else has already brought this up, but shouldn't the stand be larger than the tank? Won't there be overhang? I'm no expert but I thought that wasn't good for the tank! :notsure:
Sorry...I only read through 1st page when I posted this!!

there are pics with the tank on the stand in the second page :cheer:

Originally Posted by joncat24
If I were you with a house on a crawl space that was built that long ago, I would put some supports under the floor joists where the tank will be. I used pressure treated 4x4's and 2x6's under my 180 with a 55 gallon fuge, and it worked out fine.

hi joncat24 tanks for the rply
so some an alternative your proposing is something like this
other opinions welcomed
other than remake the floor thought of it but too expensive