125 Gallon 8 Month Birthday

gregm779

So far the trigger is fine, we'll see as time goes on but Niger Triggers are one of the more laid back triggers along with Blue Jaw Triggers.
I don't think I would mix the clowns. I may get rid of my Maroon in a few months. My maroon will swim over there just to harass them for fun, now that the percs are big enough they stand up for themselves but usually ends up with nipped fins on one of them. They have calmed down a lot since I had originally put them in but GS Maroons really do get kind of ugly as they mature and I'd rather have another fish than an ugly one I have to worry about. I started the 2 kinds off both hosting in their own anemones on the opposite sides of the tank and that's why they're still alive. I think your pair would be more aggressive than a single and may get along for a while but you may come home one day to some dead clowns expecially as they get older.

farmboy

Beautifull tank. THanks for sharing.
The feather star is striking! Good luck and keep up the good work!
:happy:

gregm779

It's going.
As far as the reef everything has been great except that my flame angel turned bad a couple of days ago and I had to take out about 100lbs of LR and 60 corals to get him out. It took me forever to put it back together. In one day he managed to eat about 4 blasto polyps, half an acan lord, chewed on 2 montipora digitatas, and there was a mark on one of my PPEs. Oh well, he's out now but it just adds to this fun month.

balistik1

Wow sorry to hear that. I have found that using a clear Beta fish container with lid works well with catching fish.
Let me ask you about you blastos. What is the going price for those? There is a local store here that has a green center red outer for $80. Is that the going rate?
Also, I don't remember if I asked you but do you have some sort of auto topoff?

gregm779

I'm actually extremely good at catching fish but the way my tank is setup and the fact that this was the hardest fish I have ever had to catch made it hard. We planned to use a tank seperator and trap him but after about 3 hrs of nonsuccess I started ripping stuff out. Below is a pic I took with my camera phone but it's all back together now.
$80 is good for blastos most of the other colors are more, my large flat red piece was $160 with about of 1/3 of the polyps that it has now.
I don't have an auto topoff.

balistik1

The one I saw has about three polyps.
I hope I am naming it right by calling them blastos.
Do you have a place on the web where you look to find information on corals, like the names and how to take care of them?

gregm779

The pic below has some of my blastos circled, when you first get them they will most likely be closed up, they don't ship well. Make sure that they're Blastomusa Welssi, and not Blostmussa Merletti. The merlettis are much smaller and usually a lot cheaper. If you get them let me know and I'll tell you how to take care of them but for the most part they're a low light, low flow, hardy coral and very pretty when they grom up.

balistik1

What is the difference between Blastomusa Welssi, and Blostmussa Merletti?
Not for nothing but I don't always trust the LFS.

gregm779

Merlettis are much smaller and not as pretty IMO. The first pic is merlettis.
Wellssis are larger and have a lot more meat to them. The first pic is what they will eventually look like and the second is a newer piece of mine and most likely what they'll look like in the store.

T

t3d

Greg hat is a great tank. You make me want to prepare more before i dive in this hobby.

gregm779

T3D, thank you, just take it slow when you do. Too many people rush thing and end up getting out of the hobby when they screw everything up.
Balistik, Did you get them?

gregm779

Still no camera, those are old pics cropped except the one with the flame I borrowed my dad's for a day or 2.

euphoria

Hi Greg
Beautiful tank. I love your rockwork arrangement. It flows so well together and looks very natural.
I am planning on setting up a 180 gallon this summer and could use some tips and advice from someone experienced like you.
Could I possibly email you or add you to an AIM messenger or Yahoo messenger and chat w/ you about a few tips?
My main questions are on picking LR and rock/coral arrangement.
Thanks

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by GregM779
Still no camera, those are old pics cropped except the one with the flame I borrowed my dad's for a day or 2.
Oh, well they are still excellent photos. I thought I had seen a few of them before, but I wasn't sure. Hopefully you will get a camera soon that can take just as nice pictures ofyour beautiful tank so that you can show the tank off on here.

annanymous

what kind of light do you have over your tank, what size fuge, and i guess what im trying to say is what are your tank specs?????
:happyfish: love yor tank btw
last ???, is this your first tank or are you an expirienced hobbyist? :cheer: