125 Gallon 8 Month Birthday

superhero

omg!!! that tank's beauity is something that i cannot put into words simply amazing!!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: top 10 systems i have seen!!!! and all fish look happy and healthy!!!! absoloutly amazing

gregm779

Originally Posted by EUPHORIA
Hi Greg
Beautiful tank. I love your rockwork arrangement. It flows so well together and looks very natural.
I am planning on setting up a 180 gallon this summer and could use some tips and advice from someone experienced like you.
Could I possibly email you or add you to an AIM messenger or Yahoo messenger and chat w/ you about a few tips?
My main questions are on picking LR and rock/coral arrangement.
Thanks
Thanks, AIM is GregM0881, e-mail is gregmatthews@bellsouh.net, I'm not on AIM a lot so e-mail might e better.
Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Oh, well they are still excellent photos. I thought I had seen a few of them before, but I wasn't sure. Hopefully you will get a camera soon that can take just as nice pictures ofyour beautiful tank so that you can show the tank off on here.
I may get to borrow my brother's digital SLR tomorrow!
Originally Posted by annanymous
what kind of light do you have over your tank, what size fuge, and i guess what im trying to say is what are your tank specs?????
:happyfish: love yor tank btw
last ???, is this your first tank or are you an expirienced hobbyist? :cheer:
This is my light, which is awesome.
http://www.esuweb.com/cardfile.asp?I...lationship=313
I have a sealife systems sump and a 10g devoted to macro. If you give me your e-mail address I can give you a link to a more in depth thread.
I had a 55g for a few months before this. I started the hobby March 2004
Originally Posted by pitbull01

Would you be willing to frag me a polyp of those acan lords? If so, how much would you charge me?
-Adam
Sorry, if you were local I wouldn't mind but you can probably find them online and it would make more sense to buy it from an online vendor with a guarantee.
Originally Posted by Superhero

omg!!! that tank's beauity is something that i cannot put into words simply amazing!!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: top 10 systems i have seen!!!! and all fish look happy and healthy!!!! absoloutly amazing
Thank you, I love feedback.

balistik1

Hey Gregg no I never did go back to the LFS to get those blastos.
I ended up buyring a few thimgs from the person selling frags. This might intrest you. I got a FULL neon green toadstool and a Neon Green clove polyp rock with plenty of polyps on it.
Once everything opens I will take a picture and share.
Oh, but maybe you could give me an idea of what you feed your tank, how much you feed, and what you feed.
I want to see since you have the same tank how I compare to others feeding methods.
Thanks

jer4916

Greg,
I just started up a 125 gallon tank, im using the ecosystem with miracle mud..haven't added it yet ( just set it up yesterday) anyways i was wondering what are your views on the mud/caluerpa? also wondering if you use the mud, why you use a skimmer?..ecosystems are designed to not used them...your actully NOT supposed to....anyways i was wondering if you had any tips as how long it should be..before i had my rock in, a couple cowns...etc for cycling the tank...also how many pounds of rock do you have in your tank?...i also want to do a wall look... heres some pictures of my tank... let me know what you think please! :) :jumping:

mikenyc

Hi,
Wow! totally amazing, very inspirational. I'm at the reading and asking tons of questions stage. So the question is what is the yellow thing that is featured prominently in the fourth pic down(I think thats it) Looks like some kind of sponge maybe or an anemone.
Your take is amazing, may have to actually print some pics. Thanks for posting
Peace
Mike

gregm779

Balistik, you should pick up blastos whenever you find nice ones, they are hard to come by. What kind of green leather is it? I want some pics. As far as feeding, I feed a lot and don't reccomend most feed as much as I do. I feed about a cube of mysis, cube of prime reef, and a chunk of frozen cyclopeeze everyday. I also put in nori every other day (I actually use sush wrap).
Jer4916, why would you not want to use a skimmer ever? I have the mud filter on top of my other filters and they all work together. LR, LS, Skimmer, and refugium are all filters. I think that the refugium helps to stabilize things more than anything. I use caulerpa and chaeto in refugium for nutrient export and think it works great. I also use miracle mud but have never had a refugium without it so can't say how much difference it makes.
What do you mean on how long? How long for what? Do you have LS in there?
I think there's about 250lbs of LR in the tank. Tank is hard to judge yet but your doing it right by asking questions now rather than later.
MikeNYC, Thank you.
Is the piece your talking about the one below? If it is that is a yellow Fiji Leather. Mine has gotten huge, it is 12in from front to back when it fully opens.

nemo lover

My husband has to work till about 2 or 3:00, then yes we'll be on our way down there. Its about about an hour drive. I plan on attending the meeting also, but not sure about the frag meet, I don't have much to trade. What are your plans for Sat? Will you be around your house 3 or 4 ish? Sorry I didn't remind you like I was supposed to. I had a horrible week. My hard drive crashed, had two root canals, and my daughter had an allergic reaction to itallian dressing. What a week! Can't wait for the weekend!

gregm779

I'm planning on going to the swap, I have a few deals to do. :)
You should go also, there should be a lot of people there and everyone is always willing to trade for cash. You can find some really awesome deals at these events but that's up to you.
I'll be around at that time, I would like to leave my house around 4:30 to go to the trade but can go later is needed, so the earlier you guys can make it the better.
You can e-mail me at:gregmatthews@bellsouth.net , if you give me a phone number I can call you tomorrow, I have to go and make some money now and won't be back til later.

nemo lover

Greg
I will try to get there earlier.. I wouldn't like to have you late to the meeting.Who knows my husband could get off earlier, or might be working in that area then ill just tag along with him. OK maybe i'll check out the frag trade. Money is a little low this week, Dentist was expensive, and we went out for my B-day. But maybe I can scrounge up something. I sent you an email. see you then. :D

misslaina

OK, now I have some sort of goal-- you did all that in 8 months? wow. It is so beautiful, I think i would want it in my bedroom so that I could wake up and go to bed by that evey night.

fishamajig

o.k. greg
you have had great success with the 125 gal reef. now I would like to pick your brain. I set up my 125 gal 2 days ago, I have about 70 to 100 lbs lr in there ( who can tell by now) I have bare bottom, no sump, no fuge, (2) seaclone 100 skimmers, and a fluval 304 running purigen and carbon. do you think with this set up I will be able to achieve decent reef conditions. I am religious about water changes, only about 5 gal a week. can you stear me in the right direction. the reason for no sump or fuge is there is no place to put one. the tank is in a wall between 2 rooms and there is not even a place to plum one in. please drop knowledge on me? :needhelp:

jer4916

you NEED a sump/fuge...its going to be hard to have a decent reef with out one.... even though i personally only have a 125...i also have a 35 gallon refigum....if i were you i would look into buying one....it also makes working on the tank easier... (water changes..etc)

gregm779

fishamajig, I agree with Jer4916. I may not be necesary but defintiely makes a huge difference. Even if you were to use overflow boxes rather than drilling it. The seaclones won't be able to keep up unless you plan on not having many fish and maybe no tangs. I had one on my 55g and was dissapointed. You've had it only setup 2 days so if you want to do it, now is the time. It will make your reef a lot healthier and easier to care for. I have a sump and fuge under my stand. If you gie me your e-mail I can give you a link to a more in depth thread with pics.

fishamajig

Thanks
it is pugfiend@optonline.net
I saw someone make one with rubbermaid containers, that might be an option for me. please give me the details on setting up a fuge or sump ( or which one is better) with a list of materials or an idea and I might attempt it if the wife lets me.

jer4916

they're huge! :) ...You really should look into getting one! :) ... for your own sake and sanity.
hehe
~chris

jer4916

i would go refigum if i were you, but thats personal pref.
my refugium is an ecosystem refigum 3612 works so well....its really nice because it doesn't require a skimmer...actully says not to use one...and my tank runs perfectly.
~chris
google them both to find which you like better.

gregm779

Once you've read through the other thread let me know what you think. I added the refugium a couple of months after the rest of the setup. I think both do their own role and I like having them seperate.