125 Gallon Set up HELP

Dan808z

Someone was saying live rock/skimmer/power heads and axe the canister. I was thinking canister good to flush out debris etc. I dont want a crazy amount of rock maybe just 75 lbs or so of rock. I guess my question is was spending 300 on the fx6 overkill? I like the idea of overkill with regards to circulation. Any input?

2quills

Once you get a routine down the cleaning can be fairly quickly and easy with canisters. Sometimes I miss mine. But they aren't ideal if you don't keep up with it so just keep that in mind.

Most would always recommend a sump for the added benefits.

I've seen cheato/algae reactors popping up like candy lately around the hobby. You can plumb them into your canisters output. May be worth looking into.

HTH

lmforbis

I have a sump but it is mostly a place to put my skimmer. Filtration is mostly live rock and skimmer and a refugium I use for chaeto and pod reproduction. I don't use any mechanical filtration most of the time. After I stir things up I will put a filter sock on the Sump output to collect the crap. Other wise the method is beautifully simple.

Dan808z

Once you get a routine down the cleaning can be fairly quickly and easy with canisters. Sometimes I miss mine. But they aren't ideal if you don't keep up with it so just keep that in mind.

Most would always recommend a sump for the added benefits.

I've seen cheato/algae reactors popping up like candy lately around the hobby. You can plumb them into your canisters output. May be worth looking into.

HTH

Thanks HTH. So you think this reactor would help offset the nitrogen? Would you still recommend using something like purigen to help? I am willing to do the once a week change with canister. Thanks!

Last edited:

2quills

Thanks HTH. So you think this reactor would help offset the nitrogen? Would you still recommend using something like purigen to help? I am willing to do the once a week change with canister. Thanks!
Algae loves nitrogen so I'd say yes. But it doesnt have to be in a reactor. Could be in a sump tank, hob refugium, algae turf scrubber or a simple partition in the tank itself.

And yeah you could still run purigen/carbon. It offsets the need for a skimmer since they remove organic compounds from the water.

I was just throwing the thought out there.

one-fish

Again I must Thank You,....good timing also as I just did buy a little two fish 150 reactor its running now with phosguard but soon maybe it will become a macroalgae reactor. Still trying to duplicate your chaeto factory growth via sump.....like this idea opens up a new approach especially for those w/out a sump.

Dan808z

What does everyone think about running 3 or 4 koralia nano 565's along with the FX6 in my FOWLR 125g rather than a stronger singular or dual circulation pump? Figured probably smaller profile with more options to direct circulation?

Dan808z

Hi all, here is a list of what I have purchased for my 125 gallon, all of your suggestions were super helpful. Plan on it as a FOWLR for now with hardy fish.

Fluval Fx6 Aquarium Canister Filter (FX-6 Filter Package)

Fluval Biomax Bio Rings - 500 grams/17.63 ounces

Instant Ocean Sea Salt, 200-Gallon

Salinity Refractometer, Aquarium & Seawater - Dual Scale (1.0 to 1.070 S.G.)

Aquatic Life RO Buddie Four Stage Reverse Osmosis System with Color Changing Mixed Bed Deionization Cartridge

Fluval E 300-Watt Electronic Heater

160 Lbs Black Sand Substrate

Live Rock/Rock

FTCo. Refractometer Salinity Calibration Fluid/Solution (30ml)

HM Digital TDS-4TM Meter with Digital Thermometer

Seachem Purigen 250ml

Jebao PP-15 900-3400 GPH Wavemaker with Controller and Magnet Mount

Only other things I think I need for now at least will be a small power head/bucket/heater for water changes and a test kit. Any comments or suggestions?? Thanks!

lmforbis

I use a 35 gallon norwesco container for mixing but I do have a brute that I also use usuallyjust for RODI water storage. Once in a while I want more water on hand like a couple weeks ago when I filled my 120 up for the first time so I mixed more salt water in it.

Dan808z

Dan808z

I use a 35 gallon norwesco container for mixing but I do have a brute that I also use usuallyjust for RODI water storage. Once in a while I want more water on hand like a couple weeks ago when I filled my 120 up for the first time so I mixed more salt water in it.
Anyone see anything practical they would add to list?

lmforbis

I think a separate pump would be better as it will also serve to mix and aerate the water prior to water changes.
Depending on how you plan to set up mixing station they sell wheels for the brute garbage cans which can be very helpful. If you need to make water in one room and move it over to the tank.

https://www.menards.com/main/storage-organization/garage-outdoor-organizers/trash-cans-wastebaskets-recycling/trash-cans-wastebaskets/dolly-for-brute-cans/p-1444452593409-c-7124.htm?tid=788859377906717212