125 Gallon Set up HELP

Dan808z

Your list seems well planned and thought out. Have you giving thought to live stock?
I was going to just start with some clowns. I read I should look into "clean up crew" with snails, crabs etc. too? I am interested in any suggestions. I live in Hawaii, I would love to eventually get some anemone for clowns but not sure how to go about that. (I live on maui so limited on island). Anyone know how I could get fished shipped if that's even an option?

florida joe

You need to check with the Hawaii State Dept. of Agriculture at 808-832-0566. on what fish can be imported. You will find not many and I think you need a $20. permit every time you import fish from a suppler

Dan808z

Thanks all, I am just going to stick with what I can find here....but I do love clowns and will start with that :) Any no brainers I should be looking in to?

lmforbis

Yep. I attached some tubing to the pump when I'm ready to pump it into the tank. It is easier than dealing with 5 gallon buckets, less messy too.

Dan808z

There is lots of objective (no sales pitch or interest) advice available here, but we need to know more about your goals. Will the system be FOWLR, reef, advanced reef, etc? Even budget goals matter.
Can't have a reef in Hawaii, can't get corals here I here :(

jay0705

Wow, so much for born free in the usa. Lol i do get why tho. I can't believe they can't do like a by permit thing

2quills

I may have read it wrong. It's illegal to collect, sell, ship or import live rock or coral. Violations could mean being fined upto that much.

Most corals are illegal to have unless it's on the approved list. Even then you need a permit.

Best bet would be to talk with the fish stores in the area and pick their brains on the matter. I couldn't find any online that sell coral. Fish only and artificial reefs is all I see being sold there.

2quills

I'm guessing it would get confiscated durring customs inspection Jay. It would probably have to be dead/dry rock in order to import it however that's just a guess.

The reefs are under threat as it is. The last thing they probably want is for someone to accidentally or intentionally introduce an invasive species into the local habitat.

jay0705

True. I guess its just weird to me. A tropical sw tank rt out your door. But there is no legal way to have a reef tank. Scuba diving it is lol if i could swim

Bella Smith

Thank you all for your replies very helpful. I have some rock I think some were live and some seem like old coral etc. How would I go about curing these? I just got my substrate and want to know how to proceed like I said I am patient and will wait months if needed. I also have some driftwood I hear that may not be so good for tank? Gonna be a FOWLR tank.
I have a Sungrow driftwood but it started growing a black slime mold after a few weeks. This could be the cause of the death of the majority of my tank. I had to remove them from my tank due to the mold.

Last edited: