12g nano cube help

psycho

I have a 12g nano cube that I'd like to get back up and running again, it still has all the original parts that came with it and that's how I used it when I had it up and running 4yrs ago, with the black foam pieces in the back filter part along with the pump, however the small pump that came in it doesn't work anymore, so I need to replace the pump, also the 2 Small fans in the hood that cool the lights had quit working also. It was set up for the saltwater reef lighting, but my question is what kind of pump would be recommended to replace the old one as far as something that is quiet running, cool running, and how much gph should it be for 12g ? .. any ideas on brands that would be a good replacement? also ... the lights and 2 fans in the hood.... should I just take the whole hood off and replace it with a different light fixture? or try to fix the fans and corrosion on wires in light fixture from the salt in the old hood? I would like to turn this into a small reef tank with some nice corals, and maybe one or 2 clown fish and that's it. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks

btldreef

You can probably get just the replacement pump for it. I have the Oceanic 14G BioCube, and was able to order a replacement pump from them for $55.
As for lights, depends on what type of corals you want.

psycho

ok! well I may jump into that tomorrow then. :) well see how bad the fixture is and i may post back tomorrow with updates. :) thanks for the help. :)

posiden

I would replace the pump with a maxi jet pump.
I would also fix the old hood. How good at DIY are you? Buy new bulbs though.

nano-newb1983

Hi Welcome back to the nano world
For your pump i would replace it with a Maxi jet 900, and for the Light it would be up to you on that.. Either Replace the hood with a new or just go open top and get a light of your choice.
As far as setting up the back chambers this is what i have done
First you will notice in the back of your tank you will have three chambers. In the 1st you will have a big sponge, 2nd small sponge, bag of ceramic rings, carbon and bio balls. 3rd you got your pump.
Now to start off i want you to take everything out of chambers 1 & 2. Dont touch 3.
Next i would like you to go to LFS or search online for these items.
Chemi-pure
Purigen
Chaeto
Fliter Floss
Small Light.
In Chamber one you will want to put in the Chemi-pure, Purigen and Filter Floss. The Filter Floss is optional, if you do use it i would replace every week or two, depends on how dirty it get.
Chamber two Is where you put the Cheato and light. The best way for it, is to add the Cheato in a cup. Keeps back area a bit cleaner. Now for the light i have an AZOO PALM LIGHT Cant post links, but google it and you will find it. When i added this light on back my cheato has been growing like crazy

psycho

oh ok... ya its been awhile :) ... yep it has 3 areas in the back ... so looking at it from the front going left to right the far right one is the area where the pump sits, and now what goes in the center one? and what goes in the left side one? ....... so its like a refugium ? also the copods and all the good stuff will grow there as well. ya Im glad I came back on here to look before I went to lfs today. also the guy at the lfs said he has spare wires, and stuff my hood, and he would take it apart and do it for me, he's a nice guy. ok so I'll get the 900 maxi jet pump and the other goods. ill look for that light on google too. I know its gotta run a cycle and all that good stuff, so I guess the only real thing I need right now is the pump and some live rock. ... still have all the test, salt... ya da ya da yada... lol now some say you don't run the lights during the cycle, as it grows unwanted algae. .... it that correct? or does it even matter?

nano-newb1983

its ok to run the cycle with no light, everything will be fine
Thats cool that u can get hood fixed. Also the light for the fuge, you could get anything really back there that is waterproof. Im sure u can find a small led light for back there online or lfs
good luck setting it up. i look forward to some pics

psycho

ok... so whats the differance between a maxi jet 900 pump, and the maxi jet mj1000? any major differances?

psycho

hey I have a question, there are 4 green zoos on my rock that I got yesterday, will they make it through the cycle? I have marine snow, .....

nano-newb1983

rockworks looks nice now, i like the look u got goin.. It hard to say if the zoas will make it, there a good chance they might.. some zoas are pretty hardy

psycho

ya i was reading some discussions on here and back when i had got the "marine snow that was the thing. now it seems like a toss up. some people like it but seems most do not as it has a lot of water in it and not a lot of the goods. any body have any opinions on this or ideas? I want to feed whats best not just throw my money away.