135 gallon round reef tank table build

rynosreef

ok my reefer friend. i just today came across a 135 gallon round lobster tank for free. i hope u all have seen one before. the round tanks that stores use to keep live lobster in. it came with almost everything besides the cooling system but who needs that anyways...i will need the water about 78. i will be keeping idk yet but maybe a fish only tank i am thinking. it has been a dream of mine to make a reef tank kitchen table. and here it goes.
so i want to make it a two part tank. the 135 gallon acrylic round tank and then the stand. right now it is clued all together as one piece.
so far i have loaded it and set in garage. i have up loaded the pic of the tank before the tear down. i will seperate the tank and stand tomorrow and then take pics,

lbannie

That's 135 gallons? How wide is it across? OMG if that was my kitchen table I would never pick my head up!! I'll be following this one!

rynosreef

ok so i have torn apart the the stand from the tank but there was no saving it.....lol, but the tank is in great shape. so i guess i got two external pumps that work out of it and a uv sterilizer. cant beat it for free. the pumps are no less than 1100 gph pumps and the uv is rated for 200 gallons.
i do want to paint the bottom and center overflow black but have no clue on what paint or whats safe for saltwater fish? anyone please help! i am not such on what to make the stand out of. thinking metal or wood? if i do go with wood how in the world would i get it to look more as a circle than a octagon.....? the bottom of the tank needs to set inside the stand being there is a lip.
ok so here are some pics.... pic of the tank, pumps, sump, and the stand

rynosreef

ok people i am sitting down here trying to do some math and i am going to need ur help. OK so i want to build a polygon frame made from 2x4's for the tank it set into and i would like the outsides of the polygon to be 4". The diameter of the tank that will set inside the polygon is 45". the problem i am having is how many 4" sides will it take to completely surround the tank and at what angles will i have to cut the 2x4's. i am lost and stuck on this and plan to do this right. so if there is anyone out there that knows a formula please......
on another note i have been designing two different tank stand design... i will be up loading the design here soon after i am happy with the two. i would like some input, comments, concerns, and suggestions.

rynosreef

ok people i need ur help this is a pic that i designed up and would love to know what u think?
its my tank table stand.

travelerjp98

I'm not sure about how much support the stand would give... but it might work. Someone else should give their opinion.

rynosreef

well what i am trying to do is make room for a sump but yet still wanting the support that it would take to hold the tank. but another factor i have is leg room. my other plan is for a circle cylinder shape stand and that would give me room for the sump and the support i would need but no leg room. so one or the another factor may have to go. i do like the look of the design i made up. it would make the stand and tank stand out more.

rainbow grouper

I personally think wood should be O.k its what my 140's stand is made of however you mat want to glaze it as of possible leaks etc.etc.
P.S make the wood pretty thick or the tank may well fall my wood is about 3 to 5 inches.

rynosreef

my 150 stand is made out of 4x4s but it has a 75 gallon show rugium under it that shows the whole 75 besides the sides and back. i will make a frame design that i have been think of and show u all.

sweatervest13

Following!!! The first design could work. Idk about the support where it comes in from the base. Acrylic51 and 2quills would know more about that. hopefully they will chime in.