15 gallon frag tank!

brewski4u1

Originally Posted by fish are good
http:///forum/post/2635060
idk but how long have you had that monti cap if thats what it is and if so you have MH i would guess anyway the tank looks great
Jake

i've had the monti for about a year and have broken it twice! all i can say is man are they fragile but that is deff getting fragged lol right now its under a 250MH w/ 180pcs lots and lots of light lol !
live rock is going in the tank tomm! so the shrimp in a day early cant hurt! and do i have to have a light or can that wait a little while?

brewski4u1

come on people need some feed back here! there are 2 unanswered questions! the lighting question and the shrimp before LR question ! i depend on you guys so help me out!

acroshark

you can leave the light off during the cycle! no lights reduces the algae outbreak most people face during the cycle! also to help things try get a skimmer to hang on the tank during the cycle! it really helps!

deltablack22

Originally Posted by ClownFiSH11
http:///forum/post/2635100
wait if you dont have any LR in that tank is there a reason for cycleing or will it even cycle?
Yeah it will cycle... Bacteria live on everything not just LR. Notice the sand in the tank?
The only issue he may have doing it before putting in the LR would be a "mini" cycle coming from the LR. If its already cured there shouldnt be a problem, he just might get another spike.

brewski4u1

well rock went in tonight ! so the shrimp was only in there for 24 hours did a test and everything was still 0 so now i play the waiting game!

brewski4u1

ok guys help me out here w/ a stock list so thats pretty much all i can do till it cycles is ponder the possibility's lol
i know i want a good healthy CUC
a goby of some sort and a pistol shrimp and what else maybe a pair of banggai

tell me what you think !

in my 30 i currently have 2 clowns( OCC and B/W Occ)
a royal Gramma ( who has a attiude problem)
and a potters angle! ( eats everything i put in there )
i'm pretty sure that tank is full!

R

rsweetpea

I can't really offer any help, but that picture of your cat is HILARIOUS!

brewski4u1

so you can all stop worring here are the pics of the LR i got after looking thru about 300lbs this one was one of the coolest pieces i found that would fit where i wanted it! lots of comments and if you guys and girls could answer some of my previous questions that haven't been answered if you could that would be awsome!
well from the front!

side!

and the FTS

once again! commetns are always welcome and answer my questions if you could thank you all very much!

dplantz

Nice setup so far. can't wait until its pulling its own weight by pumping out frags. On the stock list question you posted I'd say its pretty full, but you could have some sort of goby or something to surf the bottom. I love the sand, makes the flourescents in the corals really come out. It make me jealous because I don't have that kinda money to start a frag tank, or even my nano I got at home

But anyway thumbs up

dplantz

Just reread the rest on the post. You could have a shimp goby pair in the bottom, but mind you the goby can throw sand all over your open brain and stuff and the shrimps are known to tear up small and loose aquascaping.
As for the Banggii pair you could probabley put those in your frag tank and double it as a breeder as I have read countless posts of them breeding like crazy! AND the best part about the Banggii's is that when the fry are released, there already mini versions of the adults so they are easy to raise too! If you want to breed them I suggest you ask Bang Guy as he is well known for breeding these.
BTW love that piece of LR, bet is cost a pretty penny, but for the looks who cares (besides your wallet). It could be a nice investment if you grow it out with coraline algae.

brewski4u1

so for my new frag tank this stock list will work?
goby of some sort? paired w/ a pistol
2 bangii cardnels
CUC!
so how does that sound!

deltablack22

I think the tank may be a little small for the bangaii, they like caves too and you wont be providing that in a frag tank.

dplantz

My Lfs has bred Banggii in a 8g Biocube, they had 3 in there. He is right that they need a cave or something that the can retreat into to feel safe. You could just get like 2 pieces of LR and lean it on the tank to make a cave (or break off pieces). I personally think its fine. Id ask Bang guy though as he is the best on this subject.

dplantz

I just realized that you could easily make a cave by slightly covering the side of the eggcrate too.

brewski4u1

first test run on the frag tank! lookin good! pulled the shrimp out today i figured 2ppm was a big enough spike!

amm 2 ppm
ph 8.0
nitrate 0 ppm
nitrites 0 ppm
temp 81.0
salinity 1.026

brewski4u1

day 3 test results!
amm somewhere btwn 1-2 ppm
nitrate 5.0
nitrite 0
ph 8.0
salinity 1.026
temp 79.9
i droped the temp a little! and i think this cycle is going to take forever!

brewski4u1

new round of tests!!
amm. .25-.50 ppm
nitrate 0ppm
nitrite 0-0.25ppm
ph 8.0
temp 78.5
of course i go to the LFS today to restock on my water! and for probly the first time in a year they had every fish that i want to put in this tank all looking healthy and eating very well and of course the tank isnt cycled so there still at the store! UGH!!
yellow watchman and
2 bangi cardnels
o well its just the way things have been going for me latley if it can go worng it will!
cops pulling me over!
credit card stolen
car is breaking
and best of all
gettin layed off on fri!
YESS!!! time to get hammered w/ my friends ! taxi should be here soon! have a good night everyone!