15mo eating issues

renogaw

I can't seem to get my daughter to eat very much recently. She used to eat a ton for dinner and lunch, but has slowly reduced how much she eats and it's getting me concerned. my wife not so much, but she's always been a light eater.
a few months ago, this would be her typical food intake
breakfast between 6 and 7: bottle of milk plus a waffle, mini pankakes, cheerios, or breakfast bar
snack at 9: some milk, and depends on what daycare gives everyone
lunch at noon: some of her sippy of water, piece of cheese, piece of turkey or ham, slice of bread, a few strawberries or other type of fruit, and either a fish stick or chicken nugget
snack at 3: usually some of a sippy of milk, and depends on what daycare gives, usually something yummy she gobbles up
dinner at 5-530: a sippy of water, one of those step 3 gerber foods, a yobaby yogurt, bread, cheese, turkey or ham
and she'd sleep through the night no problem
recently,
breakfast is still the bottle (gotta get her off it), but only eats about 1/2 of whatever else we give her
snack is gobbled
lunch: 1/2 of the bread and cheese (she used to eat these so fast you werent sure you gave it to her), no sandwich meat, and about half the fruit (found out she LOVES watermelon)
snack gobbled
dinner: almost nothing. she won't touch most of the gerber food, she won't try anything new child food wise, she won't eat more than 2 or 3 pieces of bread, etc.
then of course she's waking up giving the sign for food.
i realize that we're probably not helping by giving her the food during the night, but i don't want her to go hungry (she's always around the 25th percentile for weight). my wife, who is petite, says we cannot force her to eat, and that she'll eat when she needs to. me, who is pleasantly plump
doesn't think she's eating enough. this is causing an issue at home.
so... i guess what the question is, is what SHOULD she be eating now? a lot? a little? what types of food can we get her to eat? what's a "good" menu for a wee tot?

meowzer

LOL...A lot...a little....there is no right or wrong answer....every child goes through their own stages...I have 4 children each one ate totally different....My oldest ate everything ...and wanted something all the time.....my youngest was a picker...Some days he would eat a lot others not so much
Just make sure she is getting her vitamins...I agree with your wife..you can not force her to eat...
Is she teething? sometimes that affects eating habits.
Does she like yogurts? Fruits? During the day have this available to her...If you are truly worried about her nutrition, you can buy those drinks (ensure)...they have them in chocolate and other flavors...
One of my middle daughters use to get stomach virus's a lot, and I always kept the ensure in the house....They also have flavored ice pops with vitamins too.

renogaw

we haven't given her vitamin supplements if that's what you're asking. she does though eat almost all her yogurt and almost all the watermelon, strawberries, and banana's we give her. she tried today some blueberries which i had to cut in half for her to eat (she tried whole ones, but didn't like the skin maybe so she would spit it out). she sorta liked cantalope, but wouldn't touch honeydew, pineapple, or raw pears.
and yes, she's got one of her upper front molars coming in, so she's definitely in pain from that. she's got the "whiteness" and bumps on her other molars as well.

meowzer

LOL...Way back when.,..you know in the old days when my kids were little
They use to prescribe multi vitamin drops for kids...I guess they don't do that anymore
lol
Anyway...the teething may have a lot to do with it....she is probably associating the discomfort with food....I would try to give her soft cool foods for now...seems like she is eating what doesn't have to be chewed much...

teresaq

Don't worry, She will eat when she is hungry. My son eats very little variety.
Try some saghettios, mac and cheese. Have you ever tasted those toddler meals. yuck big time. Get a small food processor and just chop what you are having for dinner in there. Remember her stomach is the size of HER fist-tiny.

ruaround

totally agree with meow...
it will also depend on growth spurts too... my son is a good eater, but when he is getting ready to grow he eats A TON!!! my daughter is a dainty eater, but when she is getting ready to grow her appetite increases and she will eat larger portions... if my kiddos say they arent hungry i dont force them to eat...

nw2salt08

My kid's pediatrician has always told me that kids level off on their eating habits anywhere from 14mos to 24mos and to watch their milk intake. Sometimes if they drink too much milk they don't have room for anything else. It sounds like you're offering her a variety of foods that are healthy and well rounded. I would continue to offer her the same diet while adding new things. If she doesn't like it now don't give up. Continue to give it to her here and there. She could decide to like it later. As long as her doctor is saying she's doing well and she continues to be active, she's probably ok.
Like others are saying, teething does play a part in slowing down the eating habits as well. HTH

I have 5 kids , a 15 yr old , 14 , 9 , 4 and almost 3 and they eat ALOT when they go through growth spurts[ sleep alot also ] , but my babies eat small meals throughout the day....example...breakfast -small bowl of fruit loops with milk ....lunch- either 1 box of mac/cheese[split in half for both] , or turkey/ cheese sandwich with a banana or aplle slices , snack- honey bun or 4 donuttes- dinner - heathly , usually grilled chicken , roast chicken with noodles or spuds as a side and green beans or broccoli [ they LOVE anything green] My 1st kid was only 5lbs at birth, and was always in the lowest percentile for weight....now at 15 , she's 5'5 and 110lbs. They do grow, at there own pace....just relax and enjoy your baby, before long she'll be asking you for driving lessons....sigh, like mine

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/3047753
hmm, four donuts is a great snack for anyone :)
donettes....as in little debbie small donettes..get off your high horse dude , My family is very fit , active and not at all over weight....J*sus....just posting....christ sakes

meowzer

Originally Posted by Cleve_seahorse
http:///forum/post/3047818
donettes....as in little debbie small donettes..get off your high horse dude , My family is very fit , active and not at all over weight....J*sus....just posting....christ sakes
My kids loved them...now my husband does
too much sometimes I think

pezenfuego

Calling someone out on being rude is imo just as rude. Doing what I am doing now is probably equally rude...but whatever. He is not a mod and that wouldn't matter anyway.
My neice is 19 or 20 months old and has the same problem, so this was a good read. Good Luck with getting her to eat, keep us updated.

meowzer

I hope no one gets mad at me.....actually I don't care...BUT I have to wonder...REN were you making a joke?????

teresaq

I hope so. A couple of little donuts for a mid day snack is nothing.
my son has a chewing problem, he dosent chew
. He also dosnt like some textures, and they make him choke. (he is getting therapy for it in school). He eats mac and cheese just about everyday for lunch and dinner. I can get some spagettios in there about twice a week.
He also gets sucker everyday when he gets out of school. He eats no veggies, so he gets v-8 juice instead. just find what works.
By the 4th child you learn to relax and dont sweat the small stuff. So what if the potty chair is in the dinning room, that way its right there when he needs it. you dont want dinner ok, go play.
Dont worry to much, she will eat when she is hungry.