1984 49ers Vs. 2007 Patriots

sigmachris

Originally Posted by Pontius
because final record (except for winning the Superbowl) doesn't have as much to do with "greatness" as the actual schedule that the team plays against. what I mean, the 84 San Fran team was 15-1, but look at how awful their division was at that time. I'd rather have the 99 Rams with their 13-3 record than the 84 49ers with a 15-1 record whose in division rivals were the mighty Aints, Falcons, and LA Rams. that was before any of those teams were any good and I don't think the Aints had ever even been to the playoffs up to that point.
Since I made a similar point about this year's Pats poor division rivals, I will have to concede this point to Pontius. However, I don't know if their defense would be able to hang with the greatest teams of all time.

liverock27

Pontius, I would check the Rams divison out for that year. Falcons, Aints, and 49ers all had 5 or less wins and the only team with a 500 record was the Panters at 8-8.

sigmachris

I should check the divsion record for the 85 Bears and 72 Dolphins, there might be a correlation with a possible 14 to 16 win season and a very bad division. Its tough to beat a team twice in the same year, that is why the NFC East and AFC North (just recetly) beat up on each other and it takes a toll on the team and bodies.

sigmachris

OK both divsions weren't horrible, but neither division had a winning team other than the two teams in question.
Bears 15-1
PAckers 8-8
Vikings 7-9
Lions 7-9
Bucs 2-14
Dolphins 14-0
Jets 7-7
Balt. Colts 5-9
Bills 4-9
Pats 3-11

liverock27

'85 Bears still had a tuffer division then other teams we are talking about. 1976 the Raiders had the Broncos who were 9-5, but also had Tampa. Anyone remember Tampa from that season?

sigmachris

Don't forget about Roger Craig, the first RB to rush and catch for 1,000 yards. Even though the game has evolved so much only 2 other RBs have matched that feat, Marshall and the second (if there is one) is escaping now.
Brent Jones was a great TE who could block and catch with YAC.
Tom Rathman was a fierce blocking FB who could also run for the tough yards.
John Taylor was a very good second wideout who could excel when defenses favored Rice.
Oh the glory years...too bad we levereaged so much salary cap in the 90s that we are still paying for it today.

rylan1

Originally Posted by SigmaChris
Don't forget about Roger Craig, the first RB to rush and catch for 1,000 yards. Even though the game has evolved so much only 2 other RBs have matched that feat, Marshall and the second (if there is one) is escaping now.
Brent Jones was a great TE who could block and catch with YAC.
Tom Rathman was a fierce blocking FB who could also run for the tough yards.
John Taylor was a very good second wideout who could excel when defenses favored Rice.
Oh the glory years...too bad we levereaged so much salary cap in the 90s that we are still paying for it today.
I believe the name you are looking for is Westbrook PHI
I don't know who would win. I think the key to beating NE is a dominant D and a above average offense. Problem with SF is I don't know if there secondary could match up.. they maybe too slow. I think one of the 90's Dallas teams or even SF team w/ Deion might be better than SF of early 80's against NE. I think the 85 Bears would be a good match up also.

boostinger

the pats would destroy them i think they are the best team over. look at the players (moss, brady, stalworth, welker, watson,) just to name a few but then there d is the same so many great fast players. the only real weakness they have is there running game which is not bad but maroney has his games

sigmachris

Originally Posted by boostinger
t but then there d is the same so many great fast players. the only real weakness they have is there running game which is not bad but maroney has his games
I haven't heard Harrison or your LBs be described as fast in a long time...aged yes but not fast. I think there are some chinks in the D armor...the O is solid, hell only 15 turnovers all year.

jtrzerocool

the pats would destroy them i think they are the best team over. look at the players (moss, brady, stalworth, welker, watson,) just to name a few but then there d is the same so many great fast players. the only real weakness they have is there running game which is not bad but maroney has his games
throwing out big names isnt gonna win a game though...the niners had montana, rice, lott ,craig, clark, ect...anyone can throw out big names...

ruaround

Originally Posted by Pontius
because final record (except for winning the Superbowl) doesn't have as much to do with "greatness" as the actual schedule that the team plays against. what I mean, the 84 San Fran team was 15-1, but look at how awful their division was at that time. I'd rather have the 99 Rams with their 13-3 record than the 84 49ers with a 15-1 record whose in division rivals were the mighty Aints, Falcons, and LA Rams. that was before any of those teams were any good and I don't think the Aints had ever even been to the playoffs up to that point.
in 1999 there wasnt 1 team that was over .500 in the NFC West... other than the Rams...
1999 NFC West Standing and W/L...
St. Louis Rams 13 3
Carolina Panthers 8 8
Atlanta Falcons 5 11
San Francisco 49ers 4 12
New Orleans Saints 3 13 0
1984 NFC West Standings and W/L...
San Francisco 49ers 15 1
Los Angeles Rams 10 6
New Orleans Saints 7 9
Atlanta Falcons 4 12
the 84 Niners beat 5teams that ended up with winning records and 1 team that ended up .500... the 99 Rams didnt beat a single team with a winning record and beat only 3 teams that ended up .500...
so like i said what makes the 99 Rams so great???

sigmachris

An email joke I received today:
Subject: Re: Subject: FW: Football Charger's
Four football fans - a Colts fan, a Seahawks fan, a Chargers fan, and a Patriots fan are climbing a mountain and arguing about who loves his team more.
The Indianapolis fan insists he is the most loyal. 'This is for the Colts!' he yells, and jumps off the side of the mountain.
Not to be outdone, the Seattle fan shouts, 'This is for the Seahawks!' and throws himself off the mountain.
The San Diego fan is next to profess his love for his team. He yells, 'This is for EVERYONE ELSE!' and pushes the Patriot fan off the mountain.
Go Chargers !

wfd1008

Originally Posted by SigmaChris
I should check the divsion record for the 85 Bears and 72 Dolphins, there might be a correlation with a possible 14 to 16 win season and a very bad division. Its tough to beat a team twice in the same year, that is why the NFC East and AFC North (just recetly) beat up on each other and it takes a toll on the team and bodies.
Oooooo! Da Bears!!! Forgot completely about them, they were good!!!

wfd1008

that would be a good game. '85 Bears vs. '07 Pats. I still would bet on Da Bears. Mean-D with Samuri Mike at the helm, and then you have Sweetness running. Willie Gualt (World's Fastest Man), and if all else fails, give the ball to The Fridge. Dude, it would be a Willy Wonka of a game!!!!!

notsonoob

96' Packers D Line would have had Brady running for his life.
L. Maroney would meet the Gravedigger
If Reggie White could go nuts and pick Larry Allen off the ground and thrown him at Aikmen, poor Matt Light wouldn't have stood a chance.
Of course seeing Richard Dent put a smack on Brady would make my day too

liverock27

The Pats would also have to worry about Mr. Howard waiting back there to return kicks on that '96 team.
The one thing that might help the Pats' wideouts against all the great D's (49ers, Cowbows, Packers, Raiders, etc.) of past is all the new rules that make it almost impossible to touch the wideout.

liverock27

Also could you imagine Brady's face when he saw Dent coming from side and then turned around and found Mongo coming from the other side with that arm ready to clothesline him across the neck? Maybe not so much legal any more, but still I think that Buddy Ryan would not be too upset with a 15 yard penalty at that point.

sigmachris

Originally Posted by LiveRock27
The Pats would also have to worry about Mr. Howard waiting back there to return kicks on that '96 team.
The one thing that might help the Pats' wideouts against all the great D's (49ers, Cowbows, Packers, Raiders, etc.) of past is all the new rules that make it almost impossible to touch the wideout.
That is true to some extent, but Mr. Lott would still lay a mean helmet to Moss just after he touched the ball. Hell that guy opted to have a finger cut off of at the first knuckle instead of playing with a bandaged hand.
I hope it is a Packer and Pat Super Bowl, the story lines would be great and the ratings threw the rough. Imagine America's QB going against America's most dispised team. A little unfair, but the shift nationwide of the Red Sox and Patriots is kind of like the Yankees now...you either love them or hate.