#1DawgsFan's 12 Gallon Nano Cube

#1dawgsfan

First of all I'd like to Introduce myself, I truly am the #1 GA Bulldogs Fan but my friends know me as Luke.
I have trolled through thousands of threads for the last 6 months on many different Message Boards, and Today I decided to Join a few.
I recently acquired a 12 Gallon JBJ Nano Cube from a friend of mine who had broken his down and just had it sitting in his garage. The lighting in it no longer works, he says the fuse popped or something of that nature. This doesn't especially bother me because I plan on Removing the Hood anyways.
So here's what I have and here's my Plan, please feel free to give me any advise as you see fit.
Tank - 12 Gallon JBJ Nano Cube.
Salt Water - RO/DI mixed with Reef Crystals salt.
Sand - 10lbs of Caribsea Live sand and 5lbs of Dry sand.
Live Rock - 15/20lbs Haven't decided which type is best yet.
Lighting - ??? I need suggestions on this one!
Flow - 1 Korilia Nano
Corals - I plan on keeping all Soft Corals, but definitely want some great color Zoas, Mushshrooms and maybe a few Ricordias.
Fish - 2 Clowns (Hopefully a Mated Pair), 1 High Fin Prawn or Yasha Goby w/ a Pistol Shrimp,or maybe a Yellow Watchman Goby. and Maybe a Fire Fish of some sort.
Inverts - 10 Nass Snails, 2 Turbo's, Maybe a Fighting Conch (sp) and I would Love a Coral Banded Shrimp maybe too (Not sure how well this could associate with the Pistol.
So here's my plan as far as the rear Chambers of the Nano Go-
1st Chamber - Chemipure Elite and Filter Floss
2nd Chamber - Chaeto and Temp Probe
3rd Chamber - 50W Stealth Heater and MJ 900 or 1200 Return Pump through Korilia Hydor.
Please Guys Let me know if you see anything wrong with my Plans..
I am a Very Picture intense person so you can plan on a ton of them as I make this Journey! In Fact Here's your First One!

ray j neal

Welcome aboard
. I am sure you will enjoy your stay here. Just do not get caught up in the discussions about 1) politics, and 2) BACON.

nwdyr

Welcome

That may be too many fish for a 12gal tank , for some reason clown's have a large bio-load. For the lighting I would go with the stock CFL for what you want should be fine. But if you want to step it up a notch the viper seems like a popular choice. You could go topless , too much evaporation for me. But you can also get a glass top
I would also use all lS , I think you will find turbo snail's a little too large and destructive for a 12gal. They do a good job but they knock things down allot in my 75gal so I think in a 12 it may be a problem. I also ran stock filter on my JBJ and it did real well , don't get me wrong I tried all the "mod's" but didn't see a big diff for my trouble
Good luck!!!! looking forward to more pic's soon

rotarymagic

You could pick up a 70w K2 viper clamp on MH on the bay of e brand new for like $140 or even cheaper used..
I think 15lbs would work well in the tank, if it looks too sparse, add another 5lbs.
I'm partial to yashia gobies and had a pair of them and a candy stripe pistol in my old BC14.
Go with a 1inch aragonite based livesand bed... If you can get mostly sand out of an established tank even better, your tank will cycle and establish much quicker.
Same with the rock...

#1dawgsfan

Thanks for all the Welcomes!
Ray J Neal - I know exactly what your saying, like I said I've been trolling the boards for awhile now and have seen those threads you speak of.
nwdyr - I initially had planned on using the stock lighting, but I really don't like the look of the hood. So no Turbo's Huh? Can you suggest anything smaller that does the job like they do.. The only reason I'm planning on going with MJ 1200 is because the stock pump was locked up, so I figured why not.
Rotarymagic - I'm definately thinking about the K2 Viper, I've seen one on a tank in person before and it looked amazing. A pair of Yasha's, did you get them as a pair or did they pair up on there own?
Ready for some more pictures?
I got to looking for a stand to put the nano on, and remembered I had a 29 Gallon Tank and stand in the attic, you know one of those Wal-Mart specials. Well I drug the stand down and broke it down into it's pieces and then made a few cuts here and a few screws there and ended up with this. It still needs a few touch ups with a can of paint and a handle for the door but it's late so that'll have to wait until tommorrow.
Let me know what you think..

[ronnie]

stands looking good man, wont be to heavy so that shoul dbe moreeee then enough,.. keep us posted with the pics as most of us here are picture wh0reZ y0!

nano-newb1983

sounds like you got everything planned well. Just a few additions.
I would get a Korilia 1 instead of the nano, also for your cheato in chamber 2 get a small light for it. Will help the cheato grow

#1dawgsfan

[Ronnie] - Thanks Bro, I started to Fresh Water leak tested the Tank this morning on the stand and it held up just fine but seems to be a little un-level so I'm going to put a base under it so I can shim up the uneven side without noticing it..
NaNo-NeWb1983 - Thanks for reminding me about the light for the Chaeto, I'm going to try and configure in a light like you see underneath cabinets in a kitchen. The only reason I was planning a Korilia Nano instead of the 1 is because my return is a MJ1200, and since I'm not planning any SPS I didn't want to over do it, but I'm definately open to suggestions. Can you give me some reasons why I need 450GPH compared to 250GPH.

nigerbang

Your not the #1 fan....I am trust me.. My whole house is done in UGA stuff...
How bout that whooping we are going to put on Tech saturday?

nano-newb1983

Originally Posted by #1DawgsFan
http:///forum/post/2853567
[Ronnie] - Thanks Bro, I started to Fresh Water leak tested the Tank this morning on the stand and it held up just fine but seems to be a little un-level so I'm going to put a base under it so I can shim up the uneven side without noticing it..
NaNo-NeWb1983 - Thanks for reminding me about the light for the Chaeto, I'm going to try and configure in a light like you see underneath cabinets in a kitchen. The only reason I was planning a Korilia Nano instead of the 1 is because my return is a MJ1200, and since I'm not planning any SPS I didn't want to over do it, but I'm definately open to suggestions. Can you give me some reasons why I need 450GPH compared to 250GPH.
since you will not be doing sps the nano will be perfect.. Cant wait to see ya up and running

#1dawgsfan

Originally Posted by NigerBang
http:///forum/post/2853592
I think all GA Fans believe they are the #1 Fan! I was actually able to attend every game this year even all the away's including ASU on the other side of the country. I hope we can beat up on Tech Saturday, but that new Triple option they run is wicked..
Originally Posted by NaNo-NeWb1983

http:///forum/post/2853637
since you will not be doing sps the nano will be perfect.. Cant wait to see ya up and running
Yep No SPS, I am wondering though is the Korilia Nano going to take up alot of space in my 12 gallon, not a whole lot of room as there is.
Update:
Well I got the stand all leveled up and found it a home in my bedroom, couldn't believe the wife let me move her Trophy case out. (I've always hated that thing in there anyways)
I've got the tank filled up with fresh water right now just making sure it doesn't leak.

I also snagged this light at the local Wal-mart tonight, I'm not really sure if it'll work or not, it's battery operated and I'm not sure how long it can run before they die. It's 100% Waterproof though and Actually Floats on top of the water. It also Fits perfectly in the 2nd Chamber! See Below..

That's all for today, couldn't get away with doing to much being Thanksgiving and all..

nigerbang

I would be weary of that light....saltwater proof and waterproof are alot different.. Where you at in GA Atlanta or outside of it.. If your semi close by I can bring you some frags when you get ready...also we have a great local reef club..google Atlanta Reef Club.... right now we have about 600 members..
Sweetness on going to all the games!!! I bow in your presence

matt b

Like stated above saltwater and water are different. And I doubt that light will be suitable for growing macro algae.

nano-newb1983

if you are lookin for a nice light for your cheato look into geting a Marina Light. Check out whisks diary thats the light he is using..
Look on Petsmarts website, they have them on there and in their stores. if u have a local one get it

#1dawgsfan

http:///forum/post/2854298
I would be weary of that light....saltwater proof and waterproof are alot different.. Where you at in GA Atlanta or outside of it.. If your semi close by I can bring you some frags when you get ready...also we have a great local reef club..google Atlanta Reef Club.... right now we have about 600 members..
Sweetness on going to all the games!!! I bow in your presence

I'm actually out NE of Atlanta towards Athens. I've trolled thru the boards on ARC a ton, I'll definately be joining up real soon. I appreciate the advise on the light, I've decided it's better to be safe than sorry so I'm taking it out, and going check out the Marina light that was suggested instead.
Originally Posted by MaTT B
http:///forum/post/2854312
Like stated above saltwater and water are different. And I doubt that light will be suitable for growing macro algae.
Thanks Matt, see my response above about the Light.. LOL!
Originally Posted by NaNo-NeWb1983

http:///forum/post/2854334
if you are lookin for a nice light for your cheato look into geting a Marina Light. Check out whisks diary thats the light he is using..
Look on Petsmarts website, they have them on there and in their stores. if u have a local one get it
Thanks for the idea, I'm definately going to check out that light instead of the battery powered one..
UPDATE:
Well I went out today and picked up a Korilia Nano, 20lbs. of Nature's Ocean Black Beach Aragonite Reef Sand (The wife's Decision), and after speaking with several others about the Type of salt to use I decided on Instant Ocean. I had initially wanted to use Reef Crystals, but low and behold guess who makes it? Yep, the same company so for the price I decided to give it a shot. I also picked up about 10lbs of some very Porous Fiji Live Rock.
Im not sure yet if I'm going to use a Korilia Hydor on the return or just use the Loc-Line sprayer my buddy had attached I think he siliconed it on to the back wall, so I might just leave it as is. The Movement on top of the water is awesome because of it.
I still need to pick up some Chemipure elite, a Fuge light, some Filter Floss, and Test Kit. I've also decided to go with the Viper 70W MH Light that a few people have suggested. I'll be ordering it sometime next week, but figured I should go ahead and get the Cylce going.
Stay tuned for some pictures of what I have set-up so far..

patrick8929

http:///forum/post/2853592
im sorry but i have to do this.......... SCOREBOARD!!!! (42-45 Tech)