2000+g plz help!!!

robchuck

This plan sounds very well thought out! I especially like the catwalk system and moveable lighting rigs ala Steve Weast's tank. The "hospital is also a great idea". I would make sure that there is enough room for a workbench, refrigerator/freezer, sink, toilet (for all the skimmate), and a good sized blender or food processor.
Regarding skimmers, Deltecs and Bubble Kings are great and would be beneficial to this system, but for the scope of this project, you and your boss would be better served going with a commerical grade skimmer. AW2 recommended ETSS commercial skimmers which are great, but also take a look at RK2 commerical skimmers. They are ENORMOUS and can be optioned to included large ozonizers and even washdown systems to keep down on maintenance.
The shimmer of the MH will look very nice and should only benefit the tank. Pacific Garden Supply's Diamond Lumenarc 3 reflectors would be ideal for this setup as they cast a very large spread and minimize the number of MH fixtures that need to be used.
It sounds like there is also alot of professional planning going into this project, but if it hasn't been considered yet, I would recommend suggesting to the planners to "harness" the heat put off by this system to help heat the rest of the house. (I recently added a cold air return to my 300g's tank room that can be opened or closed to allow the heat of my tank room to be cycled through my HVAC system. So far this winter, my furnace has barely turned on, and that's saying alot considering we've already seen temps in the teens a few times here in Chicago. Hopefully, this will help my family save substantially on heating gas this winter; summer is a whole 'nother story!)
Anyways, best of luck with this system, and I can't wait to read updates as the project progresses!
:happyfish

mitzel

Originally Posted by RobChuck
It sounds like there is also alot of professional planning going into this project, but if it hasn't been considered yet, I would recommend suggesting to the planners to "harness" the heat put off by this system to help heat the rest of the house. (I recently added a cold air return to my 300g's tank room that can be opened or closed to allow the heat of my tank room to be cycled through my HVAC system. So far this winter, my furnace has barely turned on, and that's saying alot considering we've already seen temps in the teens a few times here in Chicago. Hopefully, this will help my family save substantially on heating gas this winter; summer is a whole 'nother story!)
Anyways, best of luck with this system, and I can't wait to read updates as the project progresses!
:happyfish
So you have a cool air duct that draws in the warm air in to the heater system from the room the 300 gallon is in ? Thats a very good idea . Do you have any problems with moisture in the duct work ?

robchuck

Originally Posted by mitzel
So you have a cool air duct that draws in the warm air in to the heater system from the room the 300 gallon is in ? Thats a very good idea . Do you have any problems with moisture in the duct work ?
The cold air return was in the fish room before I built the room, but I simply put an adjustable grill over the opening. I havent't had any humidity or moisture problems, as the fishroom's humidity only gets as high as 35-40%.

aw2

Hey, Rob....seems we keep running into each other everywhere. haha
I still dont have that skimmer hooked up yet...still searching for a pump.

robchuck

To add on to my previous post, I took a "wait and see" approach in regards to the tank room's climate before making any decisions about climate control. Fortunately, the humidity stays low and temperatures stay manageable, so the adjacent rooms are able to keep the room in check and I haven't had to take any measures to correct anything. But for a tank this large, I would be prepared for anything and everything to happen (climate-based).
Hey Andy! If you're looking for a pump, I've gone a different direction with skimmers and picked up a Schuran Jetskim, so I won't need my Iwaki 55 any longer.

agent707

Originally Posted by caomt
LOL!!! "4000 gallon tank if you look at pictures j and k youll see a
typical penguin power filter lmfao and 2 50gph powerheads lmfao"
if you would check out pictures j,k you will see it isnt a penguin power filter... lmfao and two 50 gph powerheads? cmon get real
Sorry to post a reply to this old thread... but this poster is an idiot. penguin power filters?

Links the pics of the filtration system of the 4000 aquarium

http://www.seaquariums.com/images/plumbedbig.jpg

and
http://www.seaquariums.com/images/plumbed1big.jpg
who's laughing....