2000+g plz help!!!

ezee

djevack,
I think he might have an idea of how he was coming across now and everyone, willing to help, has a new viewpoint. Might be worth it.
Later,
E

djevack

i take my comments back only if you do. and only help and advise me plz i dont want neg. comments. Im glad u have done these size tanks before so im certain you have a wealth of knowledge which i could gain from. I really would like your positive imput. :joy:

djevack

OK here is the plan so far.
Construction:
This is a two story building. The room will be 20X50 feet or bigger. and 18-20feet high. The room is going to be lined with a vapor barrier system. The contractor is aware of the moister factor and is going to design this room for that. Also the room will have 2 vent fans on the ceiling. The manufacture of the tank will be in contact with the contractor on the design of the stand, foundation support all of that fun stuff.
The tank dimensions are 8'X8'X4' giving it a total of ~1900gallons
There is a catwalk system being placed around the entire tank perimeter and down the middle. This way you never have to reach more then 2 feet any direction. Over the tank has a cool system the contactor and I design. Its like the one from Oregonreef. The lighting system (MH and VHO lighting) will be able to slide off to the side, as the lighting rack is being moved it also moves the catwalk system. Thus as you move the lighting from the tank to the left the catwalk will move from the right of the tank left overtop the tank. Also the catwalk will have a few vho bulbs on it to light the tank as you work. All of this will be powered by a motor at the push of a button.
as for the aquascapeing it will done with the artificial barrier reef system by the manufacture. It will wrap around the entire back half on the tank, and a small island in the front center just like that one pic i posted earlier.
Also everything on this system will have 2. This way every thing will only have to run at half capiticy, therefore incase of breakage on one component the other will be able to handle the job.
for the open system:
the system will process the water in this order.
1) 2 Deltec AP1006 Skimmers
2) A very large DIY wet/dry. (need input on how big)
3) 150g fuge. I know some people said i dont really need it, but it wont hurt.
4) 2 200gallon return sumps (inside there will be several 1000W Titanium Heaters
5) 2 Dolphin Aqua Sea return pumps(10,000gph each)( only one will run at a time)
6)the returns will be around the bases of the aquascaping shooting across the bottom(which will be bear) this should kick up all the waste from the tank.
closed system
1) 2 Dolphin Aqua Sea return pumps(10,000gph each). (only one will run at a time)
2)Nu-Clear Canister Filter Mechanical(the really big one)
3)Nu-Clear Canister Filter Activated Carbon Filter(the really big one)
4)2 Aqua UV 120W Sterilizer
5) 1 DS10 Aqua Logic Chiller
6) The returns will also be around the base of the aquascaping.
both the closed and open sytem will have around 20,000gph
For addtional water movement there will be 4 6200 Tunze Turbelle pumps/powerheads each pump's output is 5283gph. totaling almost 21,000gph.
Also all of this system will have plenty of room in the dedicated "pump room"
This set-up will also have a "hospital" in the fish room. There will be a 200-300g system just for hypo on incoming fish. The system will have are normal filtration, including UV's. This system will have several medium sized tanks(`55gallon) with dividers. Second I will have a few QT tanks. for any sick or hurt fish.
to take up less room these tanks will setup kinda like a pet store, with the tanks on shelves.
finally I need to buy a HUGE sized RO/DI unit( need to find out where Aquafina bought theirs :thinking:) any ideas?
ok im done talking. I problem missed some stuff.

btw estimated cost of project for him im guessing 40-50k, i think if he was doing more himself 30-40k

aw2

Sounds like one hell of a great project to be working on.
Instead of wasting the money on TWO Deltec skimmers, why dont you look into the Commercial skimmers by E.T.S.S. I'll be purchasing the ETSS 5000 Quar downdraft, which is rated for 5,000 - 10,000 gallons and will only run you a little over $4000 as where a single AP1006 will run you $6619, from the Deltec site.
Here's a link to the skimmer I'm talking about
:
http://www.superskimmer.com/Large%20ETSS.htm
It's the last one on the page.

aw2

You could even go with the 3000 series, as it'll push a 2,000 - 6,000 gallon tank.
Much cheaper and they'll use less energy, as you'll only have one pump powering them instead of 37 pumps, like on the Deltec skimmers. lol

djevack

very ture, but still the main focus is "best" not the cheapest, if it where me I'd do cheap, but he wants the best. But i think hed like saving 6-10k too if the skimmer is just as good

aw2

Shedd, here in Chicago, uses some of the ETSS skimmers on their smaller tanks. You wanna talk about some gunk???...it's disgusting the amount of sludge these things pull out.

djevack

LOL forgot on thing. He wants to install underwater cameras. So he can watch his fish from any TV. Also u will be able to see the fish from lots of different angles ***)

aw2

You could run it off of a single Sequence Tiger Shark, which will only set you back $368, from ***********. So, with the skimmer and the pump, you're still coming out ahead, over Deltec...money wise and energy saving wise.

aw2

Does your boss need a 25 year old adopted son? I'm good at cleaning tanks, mowing yards and managing BMW dealerships.

caomt

did you guys even get the tank yet? you should get the tank first so they can start construction.. should also tell him its gonna be a while to complete...

aw2

Originally Posted by caomt
did you guys even get the tank yet? you should get the tank first so they can start construction.. should also tell him its gonna be a while to complete...

A tank that size will either have to be built on site or craned in, when the addition to the house is being built.
I'm sure they've already gotten in contact with various acrylic fabricators, about the construction of the tank, which will probably take a few months.

mitzel

Actually an 8x8x4 Won't be that big of a move . It can be taken in to a room on a forklift . The rest of the building could be constructed as long as a big enough hole is left for the tank and forklift to get through. The equipment room could be ready and waiting for the main tank.
I'm not trying to be combative just trying to be postive about this project moving forward. To me the worst feeling is to be stopped and waiting on parts and not being able to continue. I would rather work on it as I can and have things ready that try to mad dash and have a million things to do. This also gives you time to adjust for problems with things.

ezee

Djevack,
I agree with mitzel. Now would be a really good time to get the initial stages going. Also sit down with a pen and a piece of paper and identify every problem you can think of that may occur with this system, then prioritize the problems. Catastrophic, Terrible, Bad, I Can Live With that Risk, No big deal. You also want to think about what is potential chance that a problem may arise. A 1% chance of a Catastrophic problem is not as big a deal as a 60% chance of a Bad Problem.
Make sure that all of the high risk/high impact problems are addressed in advance or you are prepared for them if they do happen.
It sounds like it is really shaping up well!
E

madman133

I didnt get a chance to read every single post on here but i skimmed through most of the posts and didnt see anything about lighting. I was just wondering how you were going to do that wether its going to be in the ceiling or will you have a hood on the tank or none at all. I was just curiuos how you were going to do that. I wish i had enough money to build a 2k gallon tank1