2000+g plz help!!!

fishking

Originally Posted by AW2
Sounds like one hell of a great project to be working on.
Instead of wasting the money on TWO Deltec skimmers, why dont you look into the Commercial skimmers by E.T.S.S. I'll be purchasing the ETSS 5000 Quar downdraft, which is rated for 5,000 - 10,000 gallons and will only run you a little over $4000 as where a single AP1006 will run you $6619, from the Deltec site.
Here's a link to the skimmer I'm talking about
:
http://www.superskimmer.com/Large%20ETSS.htm
It's the last one on the page.
ive heard from sum ppl having trouble with etss's, deltecs are really good, the guy is obviously rich so y not go with the best

aw2

Originally Posted by fishking
ive heard from sum ppl having trouble with etss's, deltecs are really good, the guy is obviously rich so y not go with the best

Everyone could potentially have a problem with any skimmer they buy...I'm not saying that ETSS is a foolproof system. I've also heard of people having problems with Deltec.
I was just saying...for the money, the guy might as well buy a "commercial grade" skimmer, that I know one of the top public aquariums in the country uses.
Both are good skimmers. But, I'd rather spend $4000 on a single skimmer that's gonna out preform a set of Deltec skimmers that's gonna run the guy upwards of $12,000. I work for a guy that's worth over a billion dollars...but, he still shops around and saves money when he can.

fishking

Originally Posted by djevack
LOL forgot on thing. He wants to install underwater cameras. So he can watch his fish from any TV. Also u will be able to see the fish from lots of different angles ***)
lol this guy has too much money, he needs to send sum to me :joy:

fishking

Originally Posted by AW2
Everyone could potentially have a problem with any skimmer they buy...I'm not saying that ETSS is a foolproof system. I've also heard of people having problems with Deltec.
I was just saying...for the money, the guy might as well buy a "commercial grade" skimmer, that I know one of the top public aquariums in the country uses.
Both are good skimmers. But, I'd rather spend $4000 on a single skimmer that's gonna out preform a set of Deltec skimmers that's gonna run the guy upwards of $12,000. I work for a guy that's worth over a billion dollars...but, he still shops around and saves money when he can.
true true, how does a down draft work???? srry for my ignorance

oozy

hey,
just remember the weight of this tank will make most floors fail. you will need to put this in the basement, or have some support beams installed.
goodluck, lets try to stay on topic people

-oozy-

caomt

this guy doesnt know what hes in for..aha hes gonna get bored of it after a month.. guys get ready to purchse equipment at 1/2 price. this thing is really big.. i would kinda be scared to have one of these in my house..

mitzel

Originally Posted by Oozy
hey,
just remember the weight of this tank will make most floors fail. you will need to put this in the basement, or have some support beams installed.
goodluck, lets try to stay on topic people

-oozy-

With a tank this size you need to do more then add support beams or put it in the basment . The concrete flooring needs to be specialy designed . Even a good solid floor in a basment will tend to give under that much weight . My uncle was a forman for a company that would go in and relevel houses that the floors had shifted and he has told some good stories , it doesn't take much to send a floor on the move , Some weight and unstable ground under the floor . Most basment floors are designed to float so if the floor heaves it doesn't destroy the house.
On another note I hope this guy get tired of it and lets me take it off his hands .

maeistero

i have NO experience with tanks above 135, but i'm really curious as to what the cycle (if there is one) is going to be on a tank without live rock; especially on a tank of this size. what cycles it, is it the live sand?
sounds like a great project, keep us informed. :hilarious
oh yeah, do you have any pics of the guy's house now and can you take some of the actual construction phase of the addition? i'd like to see the foundation. :joy:

djevack

just thought Id share this little fact, there has been 92 post including this one. I came on here to get advice on this project. So far there has been 45 post not at all pretaining to this project, but fighting about stupid sh*t, or if this project will happen, or who has the bigger tank, or who has more experience. Now caomt is posting comments on how me and by boss are going to get bored and tired of if. So you know what I'm done with this thread. SO there is no reason to post anymore. If you want to help me and this project then thank you, and I will glady want to keep in contact with people who want to help and give advice, like fishking, AW2. They have been great help and Im upset that I cant continue on here becasue of the few @ssholes

I really wish this forum was montiored for stuff like this. I dont see why after a person continues to post negative comments they arent warned and then banned. its not fair to the rest of us who want to learn and get help.

puffer24/7

wow what a cry baby ignore that stuff and still get help, dude dont let a few bad eggs ruin everything and dont get easily upset about everything

djevack

puffer24/7, i know, Im not crying about it. Im Tired of if. when u ask for help and almost half of the post dont help at all, and more then 2/3 repeat themselves, (mostly the floor supports) its seems silly to post on here.

plus im not done getting help, Fishking has been emailing me info. So the few people who want to help still can and are. Im just done on the thread.

masterzeus

I don't have any advice to give as my biggest tank is 65 gallons, but I am really interested in how it turns out. When you get the project going, please, please, please come back and post pictures and give us updates! It sucks that a few bad apples spoil it for us lurkers.

mitzel

I'm sorry you feel this way . I understand what your saying.
I'm not directing this at anybody , I'm not flaming anybody or puting them down .
What you need to take into consideration is that a lot of people will never come close to a tank this size . (including my self unless god willing my lotto tickets hit) A lot of people are jelious . including myself. They want to see this project succed and fail both at the same time.They want to see a wicked 2000 gallon tank but at the same time they want it to fail because they don't have what it takes to get it runningand don't want to be the guy that gets no attention because everybody is OOOOing and AHHHing at the big tanks. as far as the repeating of things such as flooring issues . A lot of people are curious and want to know things like that even though they will never have need for that. and then some people don't realise how much this project will involve. this isn't like getting a 55 from *****. this is a serious deal and they don't realize it. I personaly don't mean to keep bringing it up , I just want to do my little part in helping out this project. AndI also want to help people that have no idea of the complexities of this project to understand and learn something new . once you reach a certin point in this hobby you have to start understanding things such as plumbing , electrical, carpentry and even enginering. You project will go beyond hooking up a few store bought parts and a lot of people don't understand that . I my self am looking forward to seeing this project move along . It will hit snags and I am ready to see them not because I want it to fail but because I want to learn . If you can teach one person something from a bad experiance than it has paid for it's self because you have saved that from happening again. At least thats the way I see it .
So I ask you to keep on posting with this project teach us and learn from us. take every comment with a grain of salt and also the weight of the world . Ignore the posts that are negative And keep discussing this with us . :happyfish

turningtim

Well said mitzel! dj I've read this thread and understand how you feel but I to would love to see the progress of this project. I don't ever plan on having a tank this big but would still be very interested in the processes, equipment, and final stocking for a tank like this. I don't understand why folks are all over you about how this will never come off etc.etc. A tank this size is different but not uncommon or impossible. I have seen several tanks 1000+ on other boards and here too I beleave. I feel sorry for the know-it-alls b/c you should never stop learning.
Maybe just start a new thread, I know I would follow along. I wish I had more to offer!
mitzel, where are you in Denver? would love to chat with some others here about reefs and such. I looked at your profile and we have quit a bit in common. Let me know.
dj hang in and good luck
Tim