220 FOWL Tank Diary

hefner413

Do you have any problems with the yellow tang and the purple together? I have a YT and wish that I would have gotten a purple instead...

G

gtdarock

Thanks Crypt ! Aqua,longtime, hope all is well. Thanks for the tip with the Cupramine, I definitely need that. So after I get the Passer next week, the following week I'll go with a dose of 5.24mL the first day, then the same dose the next day. The Queen is just awesome and very friendly. And she accepted food the very next day, Formula 1 and 2 and Mysis. I'm goona feel really bad when I have to divide the tank next week for the Passer. Skate, the Queen is about 2 inches bigger than the Emp. I don't know if it will be a problem. But I'm following Crypt's idea of putting a pic of the Queen on the side of the DT.
I'm about to do that right now. I think the passer is coming next week,not sure.Petey, thanks a lot. Things going smooth.
Pete, I must thanks again for the tip on the sponge for the display. Every month I throw in a sponge in the DT, and the Emp loves it ! Ironeagle, good luck on your tank, sounds like a great set up . Kirk,thanks, I just emailed RHS,they're getting a shipment over the weekend, but they're not sure what it is. Hef, the yellow and purple go at it all the time. If you gonna go with a Purple, I heard its better with odd numbers. So I'll do another Yellow and then the Purple.

crypt keeper

actually that may make it worse GTD. You need odd numbers of the same species of tangs like yellows or purple. Personally I would add 2 more Purples take the yellow out.
Also try a pic of the passer or emp on the queens set up.

G

gtdarock

Oh, that should be a good mix,2 more Purples sounds good. I took two pics, one of the Queen,and one of a Passer. I put both of them on opposite sides of the DT, but the Emperor didn't do anything. I find that very weird. I was wondering maybe because I printed the pic to take up the whole page-? Or should I print a smaller one -?

ironeagle2006

I so love my wife but SHE NEEDS TO STOP BUYING ME ANGELS. She bought me as a late V-day gift a Juvi Queen at a LFS and has it in her tank a 44 right now. We are going to get it bigger see right now it is all of 1.5 inches and would get killed in my 150. Next year I am going to have to get a 220 so I can keep all 4 together then get my 300 in 3 years later it seems. Man I hate this but I love her more. However she knows that my dream fish is a Tax Return only purchase aka Scribbled when the 300 is up and running.

peter1215

very nice angels GT...I'm supposed to pick up a french and a queen angel tomorrow from my lfs. I'm wondering wether im going to also have to put a divider im my 55g QT. both fish are around 6-7 ". good luck ..

G

gtdarock

Ironeagle, your a lucky guy to have a wonderful wife,that buys you a fish for a Valentine gift, that's sweet man,good luck :)
Thanks a lot Peter ! Yea I would go with a divider in the 55. I have the Queen in there now, and I should get the Passer next week,so I'll separate them.

G

gtdarock

Hey guys ! I took smaller pics of the Queen, and one from a Passer, put it on the side of the display,and no reaction from the Emperor. I wonder why-? Also, no update yet on my Passer, I guess their still waiting on a shipment. So, are you guys 100%
sure about getting a Passer, is there any other choice of angel I can go with, Blueface -? Thanks

aquaknight

It's tough with Bluefaces in multiple angel systems. In your case, added after other angels, they tend to be more reclusive then their already shy nature. But if added first, they can be real buttheads those other angels.
With a larger Emp and Queen, the Passer seems like a good choice. If that one doesn't plan out, I would suggest either a Scribbled or an Asfur/Maculosus. Either of them are bold enough to hold their ground with your other angels. If not of them, I'd say try a small large angel. A 2" Singapore, or 2" Flagfin, or something like that. The large difference in sizes, the big angels tend to ignore, for the most part, little angels.

G

gtdarock

I hear ya Aqua. I guess I'll stick with the Passer. I hope I get it this week. As for the Queen, she is the champ. Eating everything,flakes,mysis,krill and Formula 1 and 2. So, I am ready to do my first water change in the QT. And I always mix up water and let it settle for 2 days. And I always match it up to my DT and QT of 1.021. So I checked the mixed water, and I got a 1.021 twice. Then I checked the QT, and for some reason, I got a 1.024 twice. So, I was wondering how should I do water change, in order to get the QT to match my DT. -? Should I bring it down slowly over the next couple of weeks-?

aquaknight

Awesome the Queen is doing well. Yea, matching the QT salinity to the DT salinity is good husbandry. I would go ahead and do the water change with your water as it is. Then either just do a 2.5 or so gal water change straight fresh, or slowly bring it down. Fish have a strong tolerance to going into lower salinity water. It's going into much higher salinity they have a problem with.
Just a thought on the QT creepy up, you are maybe making up for some evaporation with the water change? I know I'm definitely guilty of say only taking out 4.5gals for a WC, but putting 5gals back in, to make up for QT's water level being a bit low.

skate020

blue face angel are very reclusive.
i had one which i saw about once a day,
they are almost incredibly hard to get to eat.
passer is a much better choice.
are you planning on adding the passer and the queen at the same time?

peter1215

ok i guess theres a first for everything...I have a 8" blue face angel who right now is the king of the tank and is always out and eats everything i put in the tank since day one!!! I personally love the colors on an adult blue face more than a passer. Passers are also notorious for harrasing other fish especially new fish. I would only add a passer if i knew it was the last angel i was adding to the tank. good luck either way GT.

G

gtdarock

Hey guys ! I have a problem with the Queen. I noticed for a few days she started to twitch every now and then. Now she is doing it more often and started to breath a little heavy. Which usually means DOOM for me, because I have a long list of Queen's I lost that way. She just ate Formula 1 and 2 and some flakes. I just did a water change also, and all your reading are fine. What could be wrong ???

R

rcreations

Do you see any ich on her? Twitching is usually due to parasites, either external or internal. If all your water params are fine, this is the only explanation. Did you get the paser yet? Because I suggest you start treating her ASAP.
btw, did you test the alkalinity of the water? How about the pH? What temp do you keep the tank at?

kjr_trig

Agree with what -- said, I would start Prazipro at least for sure, how are the eyes looking? Flukes often show up on the eyes as a tell tail sign.

peter1215

I would start treating with prazi and cupramine . you can also try a fresh water dip for a few minutes. I received my french angel today and dipped him in fresh water with prazi before he was put in the QT. I saw at least 5 flukes fall off yet he looked and ate fine in the LFS> good luck