2700 gallon aquarium pics

thangbom

dats perdy cool man.. what u do?? fiberglassed the inside water tight or big pond plastic thingie??.. dats abig butt tank.. how is it sapported?... and u gotta have a big butt ro/di unit bro.. gezz 2700 gallons?...

requiem

ThaNgBom the aquarium is painted with pool epox.
salty chee I am going to keep a black tip reef for 4 years then up grade to a larger size also I am going to keep a bonnet head shark
guineawhop the aquarium with acrylic cost me $1650.00
and the rest cost me $1000
total cost $2650.00 with no fish

cincyreefer

Looks real good! Keep us informed if the sharks have any problems with those hexagon corner areas. Many people say that any corner at all will give sharks problems, especially the bonnets... I would imagine that they will be ok though since they aren't 90 degree bends. I am also interested in seeing if you have any aggression problems between the black tip and bonnet.

fishnerd

I hate to be a critic, but are you going to have more filtration? The sand filter and wet/dry seem very undersized.
I am willing to build a skimmer for your tank if you want. Your profile states "zookeeper'. Are you AZA?

requiem

the sand filter is 19" and the wet/dry is 50"x16"x12" I am going to be runing 3 pumps that do 3600 each
aquarium turn over 4 times a hour

fishnerd

Hello fellow AZA member.
IMO, the sand filter is going to clog up almost daily.
I should point out that other than that, you have a rockin setup.

fishnerd

Excellent, that will work.
Have you considered a backwash recovery system? You will be able to clean your filters without doing large water changes. It is an auxillary sump with a small sand filter. You backwash your main filter to the sump and use the second filter to pull out the particulate matter. When that filter clogs, you backwash it with tap water. I know it sounds excessive, but your salt bills will go way down.

fishnerd

Sounds like you got it covered!
At home I use Instant Ocean. At work, we make our own seawater- Carbon filtered tapwater, NaCl, Mg chlor, Ca chlor, etc. in 128,000 gal batches.
How do you mix dry salts? Do you make a 150 gal mix each time, or do it in bulk?

jd

Is that just plywood painted with pool epoxy on the inside?
How exactly did you do that?
Congrats, that is a great tank

A

andretti

AHGGG!!!!! Now I want one of those!!! But the minute I "get 'er done," someone will post a 5,000 gallon reef and then what???? That's the only bad thing about this hobby...one is NEVER satisfied!!!! Well, that and the insaine amount of $$$ it cost to do things right. I'm sure you know what kind of work you're in for. I have a 125 & a 55 (both reefs) and they take hours, but then again, I'm always tinkering with something or making something in the "Ye Olde 'DIY' Garage." I can't imagine the amount of time, and even more, how many Ben Franklins you'll be throwin' down for supplies...not to mention stocking the your own mini ocean! You are either single or have a VERY, VERY, VERY understanding and most patient wife/partner/mate/in the world! Right now I'm building my stand, canopy, refugium, lighting, plumbing, etc. for my 300 and almost all of my spare time goes to building this stuff. It's super fun, but the wife is isn't too happy with me lately. I keep finding the phonebook open on the pages of divorce lawyers (not really). You rock dude...keep the pictures coming and I will start posting mine too, but compared to yours, mine looks like a goldfish bowl!

1911_guy

Awesome, what are the dimensions on your viewing windows? Good luck with your project and keep the progress pictures coming.