280g FOWLR Tank Diary

kjr_trig

My tank is pretty consistently between 81 and 83 degrees year round. I wouldn't mind having it a little lower, but 83 is certainly not a dangerous temperature for most fish. I read the average temperature of the Southern Red Sea (just as an example) is 86 degrees in the Summer.
More nice pics BTW.

kylev

Thanks for the input Kjr, I should have no problem keeping my tank right around 80 at least this time of year.

kylev

The hardest part about this tank is right now, having three very healthy looking fish that are in my house but not in my DT

kylev

I know I'm a little ahead of myself, but I've been thinking about what I want to add next and have a few questions. Should the two dwarf angels be added together or separate? Same question for the large angels (in the distant future).
I was thinking about adding in this order
-flame angel and purple tang
-desjardini sailfin tang and either a coral beauty/fisheri/bi-color/lemon peel angel (need help deciding here leaning towards the cb or fisheri cause there's a lot of yellow and blue on the list)
-red coris and mystery wrasse (ok to QT together? and are they ok without having sand to burrow in during QT?)
-Three yellow tangs
-queen and emperor angels (either together or one after the other whichever is better)
-sohal tang
Anyone have any experience with the chiseltooth wrasse? I was thinking about this guy instead of the red coris as a possibility, but they are classified as difficult to house.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylev http:///forum/thread/374812/280g-fowlr-tank-diary/300#post_3323048
I know I'm a little ahead of myself, but I've been thinking about what I want to add next and have a few questions. Should the two dwarf angels be added together or separate? Same question for the large angels (in the distant future). Adding together works best. I added separately with minimal fighting and now they're fine together (I have a flame and a coral beauty).
I was thinking about adding in this order
-flame angel and purple tang
-desjardini sailfin tang and either a coral beauty/fisheri/bi-color/lemon peel angel (need help deciding here leaning towards the cb or fisheri cause there's a lot of yellow and blue on the list)
-red coris and mystery wrasse (ok to QT together? and are they ok without having sand to burrow in during QT?) I would not QT together. They should be fine without sand, just offer plenty of PVC piping for them to hide out in.

-Three yellow tangs
-queen and emperor angels (either together or one after the other whichever is better)
-sohal tang
The order that I would add:
Mystery Wrasse
3 Yellow Tangs
Dwarf Angels - add together if possible
Desjardini Sailfin Tang
Angels - add together if possible
Red Coris
Purple Tang
Sohal Tang
IMO, you have too many tangs from the Zebrasoma species and it's going to cause issues.

kylev

thanks for the input
Well I dont want issues, would I be ok to trade the sailfin then for say a blonde naso? Other suggestions?

btldreef

Your tank is also on the heavier stocked side, but it's manageable if you do it right..
Are you aware of just how aggressive Sohal's are?

R

rcreations

My sohal absolutely hated my naso tang, HATED it! Even though the naso was in the tank long before. It got to the point that the naso was just staying in the corner, afraid to even come out and it was a good size fish. I ended up giving the naso to someone here locally. The sohal has no problems with any other fish, just the naso. So be careful with this pair.

kylev

Well mmm, maybe then I'll leave the naso out as well and just lighten the bioload a bit
Ya I know the sohal has potential to be a real pain, hes been on and off the list a few times now. They are just by far my favorite tang I just gotta weigh the pros and cons. As of now I think he will stay on the list but that could potentially change again.

kylev

Now I'm thinking i'd like to switch the sailfin/naso for a yellow belly hippo, would this work? And since the sohal would be the last fish the decision on him will remain unknown until that point comes.

R

rcreations

I don't know if it'd work with a Sohal, but the yellow belly hippo's a beautiful fish. It might work. From what I understand tangs don't get along with other tangs that have similar shape and the sohal and naso do have similar shapes.

kylev

with the naso and sailfin out of the picture would the yellow belly cause a problem for the sohal? The sohal just makes me nervous about adding in general as well.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylev http:///forum/thread/374812/280g-fowlr-tank-diary/300#post_3323668
with the naso and sailfin out of the picture would the yellow belly cause a problem for the sohal? The sohal just makes me nervous about adding in general as well.
Honestly, the Sohal is going to be an issue with almost any tang (or other fish for that matter). IMO the sohal and the hippo are similar shapes, so it may be more of an issue.

kylev

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/374812/280g-fowlr-tank-diary/300#post_3323693
Honestly, the Sohal is going to be an issue with almost any tang (or other fish for that matter). IMO the sohal and the hippo are similar shapes, so it may be more of an issue.
Well allright I've been trying to convince myself for a while that the sohal should be ok, but it seems pretty clear that it wont work so I think I will go with the yellow belly and leave out both the sohal and sailfin, and possibly replace one of them with another fish, any suggestions?

R

rcreations

Personally I think Sohals get a bad rap and they're really not as mean as people say. Mine has been a model citizen for the past 10 months. Only 2 fish he ever had a problem with: naso tang and foxface. Never had an issue with triggers, never had an issue with the queen angel or any of the wrasses, no issue with the goldtail moray.