280g FOWLR Tank Diary

kylev

Yeup, the tank sits tight to the wall and there has been nothing laying on the floor in front of it. The tank is completely covered with lids as well, except during cleaning and feeding. I also have no cat that woulda ate them of the ground. The lone soldier is doing great to just doesnt make much since to me since they are hardy fish and there isnt really anything to eat them. The only preditor could be the red reef lobster but he hasnt touched a shrimp or any other fish so I dunno what coulda happened to them the male was over 3" long too. Its gonna be one great day if they ever show up, I'm kinda losing hope though.

kylev

I just added two more MP40's to help the problem but I've been fighting cyano. I have some chemi clean should I use it now to clear out whats there or wait to see what happens after the added flow. Do i need to add an airstone as it says or should I have enough airation?

R

rcreations

Sorry I can't help but if you find something that works, let me know. I'm having the same problem with my smaller 65gal tank.

kylev

So i bought the largest air pump that I could find and went ahead with using the chemi clean. I'm over 24 hrs into the 48 hr treatment and can not find any cyana bacteria anywhere. I dosed around 2:00pm yesterday and woke up to a clean tank this morning. Everything in the tank still seems happy as ever and the water is cystal clear. As of now I give the chemi clean a big thumbs up. I'm posting some pics in the share your aquarium section if ya wanna see some recent pics.

kylev

What kind of maintenance do I need to be doing on my hob filters on my qt and mantis tank. I know I gotta switch the carbon periodically but should I ever rinse or replace the bio balls/sponge or will that just rid the beneficial bacteria out? No reasons for concerns just wanna be preventative.
Thanks

1guydude

about once a month u should be rinsing out ur sponges and bioballs in ur old water from water changes! Dont do all of it as u will need some of the beneficial bacteria!

kylev

Meowzer- cyano is still gone completely and not a single bad effect. The water is crystal clear and no algae at all has grown since I love it and highly recommend chemi clean so far

kylev

So bad day in the fish world. I had a female african zebra angel in the QT and the heater hit the fritz and was above 99 degrees cause thats as high as it reads. It was a titanium finnex heater with the built in controller to. So basically the fish was slowly cooked throughout the day. I really liked her and my question is now would that addition have pushed me over my stocking limits after adding the achilles later? I plan on trying to get some SPS alive too. As of now what is in there is thriving. I'd love to get another and try again and still add the achilles but dont want to overdue it since the fish was kinda an impulse buy off swf.com eye it buy it. Current list is
Crosshatch Pair
Hippo tang
Purple tang
True perc clowns
black and white clowns
starry blenny
midas blenny
flame angel
one female flame wrasse

kylev

also any reconmendations on a new heater? I havnt had good luck with the finnex titaniums with controllers. I've had another one that everytime the heater came on it sent a shot of electricity into the tank, its now heating my salt water bucket.

R

rcreations

The only heaters I ever had have been ViaAqua Titanium heaters and never had one go bad. I've been using them since starting the hobby and use them in all 3 of my tanks.
Sorry about the fish. What a way to go.

1guydude

I have had a fluval heater and a jaeger made by enhim....I will only buy the jagers in the future! Hope that helps lol
+1 sry to hear bout ur fishys

kylev

Anyone know how I kill these pests in the pictures easily and without spreading them? One I believe is pagoda and the other some tube worm??? Thanks

R

rcreations

A yellow canary wrasse will eat parasite worms in the tank and is not going to bother the corals. Get a small one so it can fit in tight spaces and it'll clean up your tank.

R

rcreations

So how's the tank doing otherwise? How do you like the black sand? I'm thinking of starting a small nano reef tank and was debating black vs regular sand.

kylev

The tanks doing great! Almost every coral I try has shown great growth. I've had a lot more success with lps and sps than I'd ever imagined I would so I keep slowly trying more. Duncans, acans, frogspawn, torch, blastoids, montepora, digitata, clams, elegance, brains, anemones, dendrophyllia, goniopora, are some that have been doing really well. I've lost a hammer, bubble coral, and a brain but that's about it. I have another bubble that I'm trying and having a hard time with. I think i've found a spot with low enough flow and high light to keep him happy though. All my shrimp are still staying alive so thats very nice, plus the fish are pretty peaceful together. The only thing that scares me is the red reef lobster on being destructive. He's getting big and isnt scared of anything, it'll fight back at my hand when i try to push him away from coral i'm feeding lol. The starry blenny also loves to nip at my arm too. Overall I'm very happy and still excited about the tank.
And on the black sand note, I really like it. Some people say it just gets dirty and doesnt stay looking black but mine has pretty consistently looked good. Once I was done with the initial algae blooms and added the additional two mp40s it stays pretty shinny and clean. I just think its key to have a lot of flow down low with it. The colors in the tank also stand out really well around the black so I say go for it!