280g FOWLR Tank Diary

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by Kylev
http:///forum/post/3265235
Thanks for the input
So i talked to the guy who was supposed to be making my tank and basically told him I want to come look at his progress since I am getting concerned and he told me it was scratched while he was moving his shop and if its not done by saturday that he will refund my deposit. So that leads me to believe that he hasnt really done anything with it, and makes me pretty upset because i am getting damn anxious to get it going. Does anyone have a contact with tenecor that is good to work with or should i just call them off their website?
Kjr thats funny that you mention Jake cause I'm 24 myself and have known him a lot of my life and our grandparents are basically best friends. I am from Ferndale and he basically put us on the map and is the only reason anyone knows that Ferndale is even a town. I havnt followed basketball that much but am excited to see what happens next season.
Ask for Brian from Tenecor...but I hope your guy gets it done for you. If he doesn't, might be time to look at some additional options though. Do you have to have an L Shape due to the way the room is, or could that change if this guy building the tank keeps puking on himself?
You're from Ferndale! LOL, I spent 2 summers in Bellingham, definately one of my favorite places in Washington. I spent many many many hours at Lake Padden Golf Club. I worked 2 Summers at a restaurant near Bellis Fair Mall while I was in college.

kylev

With all my time waiting for a tank my hopeful fish list has changed and am curious on feedback about whether or not its possible but right now I am thinking about a
-Emperor Angel
-Blueface Angel
-Queen Angel
-Flame Angel
-Potters Angel (would try to wait quite some time for the tank to establish before adding this)
-Blue Hippo Tang
-Blonde Naso Tang
-Sohal Tang (last addition)
-Yellow Tang
-Pair of clowns
-Saddleback Butterfly
-Red Coris Wrasse
Too many fish and who could pose a problem? There will be roughly a total of 380gallons
I would love to have a school of something any suggestions there?

kylev

I really like the looks of L tanks and the layout of my house would allow for it to be seen from most rooms plus it would allow for the larger volume and still being close to the closet thats going to be the fish room, otherwise all the equipment etc would need to fit below the tank which i want to avoid simply for the amount of extra room in the closet and ease of housekeeping. Plus I've got many ideas for aquascaping in the L tank and love the possibilities of having 2 different layouts to see depending on where your looking from
Thanks I will ask for Brian
Yeup I was born and raised in Ferndale and now live near Olympia due to work on Fort Lewis. Whatcom county is a beautiful place to live if you can withstand all the rain

kylev

talked with tenecor and they gave me a price shipped that was only a bit higher than my original so once i manage to get my money back which the store owner that i went through is going to cough up if i get screwed, I am going to order through them. Even though I am having to wait another 6 weeks now I feel my end product will be much superior plus the service has been far better.

kylev

Thanks GTDA
Just placed the order with Tenecor so the tank should be here around 4-6 weeks, and then hopefully this project can get rolling
Just playing around with some ideas if the fish list was changed to
Blueface angel
Emperor angel
Queen angel
Flame angel
Clown Pair
Sohal tang
Blonde Naso tang
Blue hippo tang
Purple tang
How many yellow tangs could be added together? I would love to have a small school of them

kjr_trig

I've been very happy with my Tenecor tank, just have to be very careful with the acrylic as far as scratches. What dimensions did you end up going with?
I think 3 Yellow's would work together nicely if similar size and added together.

kylev

I was thinking of around 3 yellows as well, thanks Kjr. I have plenty of time to think about it now just gotta figure out my best stocking order
Im going to try to be very careful of scratches cause this tank is way to spendy to mess up, gonna see if I cant keep a float magnet away from it.
It ended up being 5'x6' across the outside face and 3'x4' against the wall so 2' wide and then 2' tall

kjr_trig

should be an awesome tank, and I also love the L shape.
I think it's a good fish list, though if you are like me, it will change several times between now and then
Angels need a fairly established tank, so don't plan on them being in too early, and you already know if you are having a Sohal with other Tangs, the Sohal needs to be last. Another Tang you should have on your radar would be the Desjardini Sailfin, Acanthurus Tangs are my favorites, but you can usually only do one, Des. Sailfin is my favorite non acan tang.
Are you doing any equipment (lighting, skimmer, pumps) through Tenecor? I got VERY good pricing on the equipment, they pay wholesale price for the stuff, so they can afford to sell it to you for a good price.

kylev

LOL it has allready changed several times, but I am pretty happy with where its at cause I think it leaves me with some good options as far as some inverts to look at plus the possibility of some coral and having an open top without a full canopy.
The angels definetely wouldnt come into play untill later on. Im thinking the clowns and tangs first (except sohal) then angels then sohal. Just not sure on the order for the tangs but I believe I'll add the emperor first then the queen and blueface together. The Desjardini Sailfin is real cool and would add a nice change in color and shape. I think hes added to the list as long as it isnt too many tangs.
Can tenecor get any brand of equipment? Cause im looking at (2) 4' 6x54 ATI powermodules for lights cause I love there light output plus how clean they would look hanging exposed. But as far as the protein skimmer goes I will definetely look into using tenecor. Im leaning towards getting one rated at about 500gallons. Would do you think?
Thanks

kjr_trig

http:///forum/post/3272904
Can tenecor get any brand of equipment? Cause im looking at (2) 4' 6x54 ATI powermodules for lights cause I love there light output plus how clean they would look hanging exposed. But as far as the protein skimmer goes I will definetely look into using tenecor. Im leaning towards getting one rated at about 500gallons. Would do you think?
Thanks
I would look at ETSS skimmers, I would imagine they can do any lights.
I will pm you the company I think they get their stuff from.

kylev

The guy from tenecor reconmmeded a ASM skimmer, how would the ASM G-4XX 450 gallon skimmer work? He cant get it for 370 and its in sump with pump included so the price is nice? And the skimmer link he sent was off a different website, but im not finding the ETSS skimmers on either
one.
I like the ETSS 800xr but this would require a pump and to be plumbed external correct? Which isnt a problem if worth the effort. What would be a sufficient/cheap pump for this? This route would be a lot more expensive though
He also couldnt get the lights :(
Thanks

kjr_trig

http:///forum/post/3273062
The guy from tenecor reconmmeded a ASM skimmer, how would the ASM G-4XX 450 gallon skimmer work? He cant get it for 370 and its in sump with pump included so the price is nice? And the skimmer link he sent was off a different website, but im not finding the ETSS skimmers on either
one.
I like the ETSS 800xr but this would require a pump and to be plumbed external correct? Which isnt a problem if worth the effort. What would be a sufficient/cheap pump for this? This route would be a lot more expensive though
He also couldnt get the lights :(
Thanks
ASM is certainly good...Can't go wrong with ASM or AquaC IMO.

cranberry

Excellent... I'll be watching.
I have the ReefReeper Elite and invested about 800 bucks in it and it's accessories. I'm going to cut my losses and get the Apex.

R

rcreations

ASM are considered midline skimmers. They work ok. I have one on my 65 gal tank and it does the job but it's not as good as the Octopus Pro I have on my 150gal. I believe ASM skimmers require some mods for them to work very efficient. You should look into the Octopus Extreme line of skimmers. You get a powerful skimmer for a decent price in my opinion and their customer service is the best.

kylev

Thanks for the suggestions RCreations I will look into that some more i have thought about them before, and dont want to cheap out on a skimmer
Thanks Cranberry i dont think I will be investing into either for quite some time since I've been waiting for this tank i have started some other projects but I will definetely give the Apex a look over

kylev

Looking at the octopus skimmers I see these as a possibility
Reef Octopus DDNW-250 Protein Skimmer
Reef Octopus DNWB-200 Protein Skimmer
What do you guys think or other suggestions? I'd like in sump. Im leaning towards the 250

R

rcreations

I would go with the 350 model. The 250 I think is rated for 300gal but that means light bioload. Usually with skimmers, you want to get one rated at about 2x of your tank size, especially for a FOWLR.

kylev

so the Reef Octopus Extreme Series EXT-350 Protein Skimmer it will be then, kinda confused by the discription wording but does this require a pump?
thanks