280g FOWLR Tank Diary

kylev

I've been pondering the idea of a stand made out of 4x4 beams, headers, and a plywood base/top to disperse weight. If I did this I think i'd lay some sort of flooring on the base plywood, and either wrap the beams or stain them real nice. Just curious as to how you guys think a stand like that could look. I kinda want to do something different and since all my equipment will be in the room next door I dont need the space underneath.
Or I'm thinking of an enclosed stand covered with a solid piece of wood paneling so there are no lines to the stand besides the corners

kylev

So just thinking about my stocking order and heres what I purpose to QT at a time and then add to DT after 6 wks
1. 2 clowns with blonde naso tang
2. blue hippo tang and desjardini sailfin tang
3. purple tang and flame angel
4. 3 yellow tangs
5. adult emperor angel
6. juvy/changing blueface angel and juvy/changing queen angel
7. Sohal tang
How would this work out? Any other proposals that would give less aggression or speed up stocking?

R

rcreations

In my opinion, you should find another fish instead of the Sohal. The Sohal with all those other tangs... not a good combination, no matter how big the tank is. From personal experience, Sohals hate other algae eating fish that compete for the same type of food.

kylev

I have been kind of worried about that as well RCreations, my main concern is the lack of being able to add anything else after him incase something was to die or if another small fish had wanted to be added. I just love the elegance of the Sohal looks. I guess it wouldnt be a bad idea to think about a possible replacement

R

rcreations

I have the same fear with my Sohal... if I ever need to add a new fish, I think I'll have some serious problems. I've had him for almost 6 months now and I think he's pretty well established.

kylev

If I knew i wouldnt ever need to add a new fish I would do one for sure because they are by far my favorite tang.
Right now I'm thinking the Sohal could get replaced with a yellow belly blue hippo tang, or a BPT but cant they be hard to keep healthy? I wish the achilles werent such a pain of a tang cause I love them as well

kylev

i've never been a large fan of puffers, but a trigger is definetely a possibility but I have not read a lot about them so am not sure of what would be suitable but i do like the niger and redtail triggers quite a bit but, would like one that wouldnt eat all inverts id add to the tank. The same goes with an eel which i have pondered the idea of a snowflake or zebra

R

rcreations

I've had a redtail tigger for more than a couple of years now and he's very well behaved, never tries to eat any inverts. Funny fish too... always spits water at me when I go to feed the tank.
They're supposed to be one of the reef safe triggers. A Niger is more agressive and will bother inverts. Nigers can get pretty agressive.
A zebra eel would be safe for inverts for sure. I have a goldtail moray and I've never seen it bother inverts or fish. In fact it even lets my cleaner shrimp clean inside its mouth. The cleaner shrimp's station is right next to the eel's cave.

kylev

I think I will look into the redtail trigger a little more then, sounds like a good idea. I also like how the goldtail moray doesnt get to large I just want to be sure I dont put an eel in there thats going to munch down my fish at any point

hefner413

I have a zebra and a snowflake and I have many small hermits, small snails, a couple choc chip stars, some brittle stars, a knobby star, a few conch, and sea urchins. Also have a few mushroom coral and anemone. My other aggressive fish in the tank don't mind them too much overall. My big choc chip star had it's chocolate chips eaten off by my striped dogface puffer, but he stopped bothering it over time. Must not have liked the taste in the end. I was also cautious initially, but was glad to find that I could have a CUC with the aggressive tank...
I wish I could try cleaner shrimp, but I'm certain they would disappear in a few seconds.

G

gtdarock

Love the list Kylev. I vote for a Humu Trigger. Just an awesome fish,very friendly and not very aggressive. Also,what about a Harlequin Tusk,another awesome fish !

kylev

Thanks for the input Hefner, I will take that into consideration on my eel decision
GTDA I had always planned on a harlequin tusk but went away from them because I had heard from a few people that they can do a good job at bitting at their shadow on the tank and scratch up an arcylic tank in a hurry

G

gtdarock

Oh yea, I forgot you are getting an acrylic tank. Maybe you can go with a different type of wrasse.Maybe a Banana,for the nice color :)

kylev

I do like the banana wrasse a lot and have thought about it, but that would be the only real jumper outta my list and then would require a lid since im hanging my lights from the ceiling and not doing the full hood, which would have its pros and cons but who knows I've got some more thinking to do. Wouldnt the banana chow down most inverts as well?

kylev

The tank is supposed to ship on Monday

I saw a nice harlequin tusk at the fish store today and am back on board with really wanting one but would hate to have the acrylic scratched by him biting his reflection. Does anyone have success stories in this situation or ways to prevent it? I'd probably remove two of the three yellow tangs from the list in order to add him. It would also chow down on inverts, this is becoming a real tough decision to make, good thing I have a lot of time to decide

kylev

Working on finalizing my lighting situation and do plan on (2) ATI powermodule 48" 6x54 but am working on what bulbs I want to use.
on one light
4 Giesemann 54W 11000K Aquablue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent
2 Giesemann 54W Pure Actinic 03 T5 HO Fluorescent
the other
3 Giesemann 54W 11000K Aquablue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent
3 Giesemann 54W Pure Actinic 03 T5 HO Fluorescent
I want a nice white with slight blue on the first light with the second putting off a bit more blue
Now one question i have is does anyone know the difference between the Giesemann 54W Pure Actinic 03 T5 HO Fluorescent and the Giesemann 54W Actinic Plus T5 HO Fluorescent?
Im also thinking that using the 48" lights is going to leave a darker spot in the tank that I might put at the bend of the L inorder to make some light discrepencies in the tank as well has having one light with more actinic and blue in order to create a nice contrast throughout the tank. What do you guys think about this?

^ I think that sounds like a great idea. I think looks wise and also it would be great to put low light corals and NP corals. I really can't wait to see this L shaped tank!