280g FOWLR Tank Diary

kylev

That would be nice if it would work. Its 2' tall and 2' wide, and then one of the faces is 5' and the other 6'. There's 11' feet of tank front.

kylev

Perfect. I want a lot of fish but dont want it too over crowded and poluted with crap. Im thinking the saddleback might change for the red coris wrasse though. Not sure how much I like butterflies and don't want them to finish off all the coral that the angels and triggers leave behind

R

rcreations

Awesome!
They look like they're making out in that first picture and he's annoyed they they're being watched.

kylev

I'm in the process of setting up a peacock mantis tank where my QT used to be and if anyone has a place to buy them from that you recommend could you please pm me.

kylev

The crosshatches are now acclimating and I'll post pics when I'm done
My question is with the clowns, blenny and hippo I've been feeding a total of three cubes a day of a variety of spirulina mysis and ocean nutrition formula 1 and 2. I also add some algae sheets into the mix. Once I add the triggers to the mix I plan on mixing in more formula 1, silversides, krill, and squid. Roughly in cubes or pieces of krill/silversides should the triggers eat in a day? Also any additional menu items that would be worth while that anyones noticed from experience? I live in the pacific northwest so any fresh seafood is very accessible as well if its worth the occasional treat.

R

rcreations

3 cubes seems like a lot for the fish you have now, crosshatches not included.
Right now for my fish: Sohal, Queen Angel, Niger Trigger, Racoon Butterly, Foxface, Yellow Wrasse and Red Coris Wrasse, I feed 3 cubes a day, plus a whole sheet of nori. Then twice a week when I feed the eel, I also "hand feed" all the other fish by holding a piece of raw shimp or squid in the tank until they've all had their fill. Sort of like an all you can eat buffet, without any mess.
One good indication is to put the food in and see if any gets left after a few minutes. If there's food left, you're feeding too much.

kylev

the cubes I feed are only about 3 grams each and theres never any left over food. It doesn't really seem to me like its over feeding cause it doesnt take long for it to be gone
I'll try hand feeding the triggers tonight and see what they do

kylev

here ya go, plus theres one of the mantis tank i'm working on. Anyone know if I should add a powerhead? The filter is a aqua clear 50. Both fish ate great last night as well

kylev

thanks, I'm very happy with them. They bring a lot of additional life to the tank, but are still a little reclusive

kylev

Thanks for the kind words and thanks to those of you who push me towards a couple triggers, it was a good decision

kjr_trig

Crosshatch pair looks great man!!! I sure you will love them, and I know Michael and the crew at A.T. did a great job of QTing them, because they always do. Oh, and my Crosshatch are MONSTER eaters, mine eat anything and everything, but when I first got them they really preferred a carnivore diet exclusively, squid, jumbo mysis, and so on. Took them a while to warm up to pellets, they didn't ever feed mine pellets while they were at Aqua Touch.
Nice job on the mantis tank too, that will be fun to watch.
Sorry I haven't been on here much lately...busy, busy, but your tank is doing great.

mjm889

those crosshatch triggers look awesome, i want a pair so bad, are they pretty pricy? they look great with the rest of your tank!!