280g FOWLR Tank Diary

kylev

Thanks, Im real happy to have it all done. It was a pain trying to keep the wood completely dry of saltwater before the stain was done. Heres a few more pics I took

flower

I have been tagging along..I love it, it turned out just beautiful...Do those lights bother you? I have to shade mine, when I'm sitting in the living room that little space between the light and tank blind me like I'm looking at the sun.

kylev

Thank you guys for following along, the tank turned out the way it did due to all the help from this site. Flower-the lights havnt bugged me at
All yet, the only problem I have with them is no moonlights. I've been trying to think of a way to add them cleanly without seeing the hardware and wires

kylev

So my tanks about a month away from being 6 months old and I'd really like to get a rbta anemone when that time comes. My LFS has a decent sized one that has attached itself to a rock that could easily be placed into my tank that he would hold for me. Is my lighting sufficient to keep it alive and would it be safe? Lights are (2) 48" 6x54w T5HO ATI powermodules.
My dwarf angels are still doing great and will have been in hypo 3 weeks this friday. I'm guessing if all goes as planned they'll be in the DT in 2-2.5 weeks from now. What should I add next, and how long do you guys think I should wait till I start the next QT process?
Anthias's- I'm leaning towards pinksquares and doing 1 male 2 females
Large angels- Queen around the changing size, blueface juvenille/changing. Any reconmendations on best purchase sizes or one being larger than the other?
Achilles/Sohal tang- I'm really having a tough time deciding between these two, so input would be great. I love the black and orange of the achilles but I also like the looks and presence of a sohal a lot. I'd get either one at around 2-3 inches.

R

rcreations

I personally wouldn't put a bubble tip anemone in an agressive tank for any number of reasons. One being the fact that it needs pristine water conditions which you'll never have with an agressive tank. Plus, I don't think your lighting is enough for one to really thrive. I think you already have corals in there that will become munchies for a queen angel.

kylev

K I'll stay away from a bubble tip, how bout a tube? I have a bunch of mushrooms and a few other soft corals, shouldn't they be safe with the queen? Or at least I'm hoping or have to do some thinking.
Any idea on what fish would be the best next addition?

R

rcreations

I wouldn't put any anemone in that tank.
My queen angel has eaten through pretty much all the corals I tried putting in, except one very large frilly mushroom. But she's gone through different leathers, assorted smaller mushrooms, zoas, xenia. When she was small, she was ok. But as she got big, she really started going to town on corals.
For your next fish, well the sohal would be last and the large angels right before that. So you can put in the anthias next. What other fish do you have on the list?

kylev

Now I'm kinda re-thinking the queen a bit cause I really like the softies I have. It's dissapointing though cause I've seen a few nice tanks with queens and softies but am not sure if I want that large of a risk. The list is
-anthias
-blueface/another angel, need suggestions, or if the blue face could even potentially let the soft corals be
-Either an achilles or sohal tang
If the angels don't have decent potential to co-exist, New suggestions would be appreciated as well. If that's the scenario I might try to stay a little more on the reef friendly side and keep the waste down a bit more. I'm thinking maybe going with the achilles tang and then maybe a naso as well and calling that good for large fish in that case?

R

rcreations

Well, you may luck out with a different queen angel. Although based on what I read on other forums, once they get to adult size, pretty much all of them munch of corals. Not sure about blue angels or Emperor agels, if they're the same. Personally I always thought a Queen and Emperor angels would be a great combo, especially for a big tank like yours. That's what I would get if I had your tank.
If you want a more coral friendly tank, go with the tangs and that's it for big fish. Maybe add in a fish that can help clean your sand and rocks, to help keep the nitrates down. The red coris wrasse does a great job of this and is coral friendly, but not invert friendly. Stay away from butterfly fish since they like to munch on corals sometimes.

kylev

Thanks RC, I guess I've got some thinking to do right now. I'll add the anthias next to buy myself some time

kylev

I think I'm leaning towards going with the tangs and leaving the large angels out. I'm also considering not adding any anthias's because I cant really feed 3 times a day. I'd also have to add way to much food in order to ensure they get their share.
Do you think I could add a naso, achilles and possibly another tang.

R

rcreations

You already have a tang, right? So that would make it 4 tangs if you add the achilles, naso and another. I'm not sure... I better let one of the tang experts answer this one. lol
Have you considered another fish like a foxface? How about a harlequin tusk? I know you mentioned it might scratch the tank, but I think that's very unlikely. Or another wrasse like a banana wrasse, red coris or lunare? Or you can go with some smaller fish like a bunch of chromis.

kylev

I would love a harlequin tusk but i was told several times about the scratches so that's my only hold up there. A foxface could be a very likely potential. As far as the other wrasses go I'm gonna wait and see how the triggers treat my shrimp etc. if they start to munch on them then I'll add a large wrasse but if the shrimp seem safe I might try to keep it that way.