280g FOWLR Tank Diary

kylev

Thanks Gemmy I gotta say I'm pretty addicted to it haha. Always makes you feel good when everything is thriving! Plus i've managed to grow a lot more corals/clams than I'd anticipated. Definitely glad I stayed away from the large angles.

al&burke

Whoh - that tank is looking amazing - the corals all look phenomenal - I love the black sand. Thanks for sharing. One question what is that ring in the one picture?

kylev

Thanks! That's the PVC in my Mantis tank I forgot that pic was in there. Sadly he doesn't use it and made a burrow under the rocks above it.

kjr_trig

Good god Kyle....I go away for a few months and this happens! Looks awesome man, given another year and it's going to be really really amazing. Crosshatch look great, I'm glad they haven't snacked on the shrimp.....yet!!! HAHA.
Your tank is great example of people taking their time, asking great questions, and then putting together a world class set up. Great job.

kylev

Thanks Kjr! That means a lot coming from you and also thanks for the help you've given me along the way. The tank wouldn't be anything without the help and direction i've gotten through this thread. I really couldn't be happier with it and have no regrets. And I can't wait to look at it a year from now!
P.S. the crosshatches will never eat my shrimp haha. They only like to bite me, the male has became very fond of it he used to only bite when I wasnt paying attention and leaving a finger tip in the tank but lately hes started bitting my arm and elbow, its always good for a surprise hello haha

R

rcreations

Wow! All the corals have grown so much, the whole tank looks beautiful! Great job!

kylev

Thanks RC, the corals growing has been a nice feeling but causes me to keep buying more too lol. Thanks for all the help along the way!

kylev

Here's some pics of my dendro and another tube anemone that werent out at the time of the last photos

kylev

I just can't wait for the dendro to start spliting of some more heads! They are way to expensive to buy anything bigger than that lol

kylev

I need some input
I'm still having a hard time getting my dkh above 6. Right now its between 5-6 but my ph is at 8.4. My calcium is at its all time low at 340 too. I had just done a 30 gallon w/c on Saturday too. Any ideas on how I can get the dkh to raise back up for me? My saltwater bucket tests at 9.
I had a small 1.25" maxima clam that had been having a hard time that just died, as well as a bubble mushroom that's not looking to great that had always been thriving, other than that everything looks great so I dunno what happened to these guys. Any ideas???

kylev

No I have not and I don't have a magnesium test kit, but I'm gonna order one up right now. Thanks for the help Aquaknight!

kylev

I'll have some new photos up soon, I loaded up this wknd in Seattle at the Seamax exhibit. Gotta say that was coral heaven, I had to get out of there before I left with corals and no money left to my name.

kylev

I just tested my magnesium and it came in at 1520, which is a touch on the high side I believe. Any thoughts? I'll test again tomorrow to make sure there isn't any user error. Iodine tested at .6 Calcium 340 and alk 6-7

Your tank looks like the freaking ocean. Thats amazing. Literally. You just have a piece of the ocean in there.. haha ;)
Is that a pinktail trigger in there or did i see wrong? I thought I saw a really pink tail. I've always wanted one of those.. if so, how are they doing?

kylev

Thanks for the kind words! You are seeing a pair of crosshatch triggers, the male does have a redish-pink tail though.
So after testing again my calcium is still around 340 and alk 6-7. My magnesium just came in at 1440. The last two nights I've been dosing the bionic 2 part calcium buffer and havnt seen any changes. Any ideas? My calcium was always on the high side before this, I know i've upped my demand for it but its surprising me how the buffer isn't helping yet.

kylev

I found an achilles tang finally now my question is do I have room or am I allready at my limit with wanting to keep coral?
Right now my nitrates test around 6-7
Current Stock is
-cross hatch pair
-true perc clown pair
-black and white clown pair
-hippo tang
-purple tang
-midas blenny
-starry blenny
-flame angel
-hawaiian flame wrasse

kylev

well I hope the verdict is to go for it, cause I did lol. Just noticed swf had one available and had to snatch it up quickly before it was gone. I've wanted one for a long time now and guess I just might have to up my w/c's depending upon how things go. My biggest concern is the hippo harrassing it too much though