29g biocube, attempt number two.

pa7reefpa7

So this will be my second attempt at building a reef tank. Last year I bought a 29g biocube hqi and fit a ecoxotics panorama pro led light on top. Everything went fairly easy and my reef was very healthy. I had a clean up crew, two percs, yellow dwarf angel, seahair, emerald crab, a variety of corals annd coraline algae. Anyway superstorm sandy took out my power for five days and destroyed my whole tank. So now I bought a generator and I just ordered 50 lbs of live rock. I am not sure if I will use it all but have to wait and see. So I will be posting pictures of my progress and be asking questions along the way.
Does anyone know an easy upgrade for the biocubes skimmer? That was the only part of my setup before I wasn't happy with.
Thanks for reading,
Alex

nikesb

You can go with an hob skimmer like deltec. Darn good hob skimmer but they cost a good amount

pa7reefpa7

So I checked out the deltec and that is alot of cash. Its not out of the question but I doubt it unless I have water quality problems. I was hopeing someone retrofitted a new skimmer in the stock location of the hqi. I really enjoy the sleek/clean look of all my components being inside.

rlablan

I second the deltec. I have one and Its great!!
There is a nano skimmer I've seen from Two little fishes. I don't know a lot about it but I see it at the LFS. It looks small, might work well on a biocube.
The only other skimmer I've seen are Those small, air stone skimmers. I hear those are easily added to small tanks but they aren't the best and you have to replace the air stone every week or more frequently depending on your bioload.

pa7reefpa7

Yeah the cube comes with a small air stone style skimmer. I don't think it worked very well and I think that it was the source of my micro bubble problem that started just before my crash.

pa7reefpa7

So after looking around this is what I am looking at. The AquaC Nano Remora Hang-On Protein Skimmer. Read a review and apparently it fits onto the back on tye biocube hqi. Any thoughts?

rlablan

If It fits, I say go for it. Here in AZ, the remoras are highly coveted after. I hear people constantly saying they are the best HOB skimmers.
All you can do is try, but I think that brand is a safe bet.

pa7reefpa7

I really was looking for a skimmer to fit inside the stock location but everything I have found seems like a waste of money. I like the remora due to the clean box type design. Hoping it doesn't look to awful sitting on the back and isn't to loud. If I can't find another solution I will order the remora in a couple days.

rlablan

I don't think that the remoras are loud. Have you tried looking for a Cardiff skimmer?
I had a 24 gallon Cardiff made by current USA. This skimmer came with it. It's made to sit in a back chamber. It sticks out of the Cardiff about 2 inches and is simple, clean design.
I ran my Cardiff for a long time with this skimmer. It's pretty quiet and it was really good at skimming. Lemme see if I can find a "replacement part number"to see if you can order one. I dk if them make em anymore.

pa7reefpa7

So on tuesday of last week I set up my tank and put in 30lbs of lr and about 15-20lbs of sand. The following day I added a little food to the tank to help the uncured lr kick off a cycle. I didn't check the tank for ammonia till thursday or friday and nothing came up. Then yesterday I did a test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. Still nothing for ammonia but had .5 readings on both trates and trites. Is it possible I missed the ammonia spike in the first couple days?

rlablan

It is possible that you missed the ammo spike.
It is also possible that you are seeing a small spike and have not had the actual cycle yet.
I have most recently been cycling my tank as well. I saw small spikes and thought I was good to go. I went to buy my first fish, came home and there was a huge amount of ammo in my tank.
I am just lucky that I have another tank up and running so that those fish have a place to stay while my tank is "re" cycling.
I would let it go for a couple more days, test everyday and see what you come up with. If your numbers are consistently coming up as trates and trites and no ammo, then do a water change, and I would test again to make sure that it's really done.
I am glad that I thought to test my tank before adding my new additions. That would have been tragic.

pa7reefpa7

That is what I am worried about. Would adding a little extra source of amonia now, and waiting for it to clear, ensure I won't have another one down the line?

spanko

I have had this skimmer on my biocube 29 gallon for a few years now and it does a great job.

AquaticLife Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115

Also on the initial cycling of the tank. Let your tank age for a while, usually 6 weeks give or take a couple to let things stabilize a bit. Just my opinion.

pa7reefpa7

Thanks I'll check it out. I am currently testing my tank and got to thinking....my rock already has a good amount of algae growing, doesn't algea like that feed off of ammonia?

spanko

The tank is in my living room. I don't think it is louder than any other skimmer I have heard. You have to dial in the height and air mixture setting but mostly just ambient background noise.

spanko

Is the mod you are talking about the upgrade to the Biocube airstone skimmer? If so is this it?
"first i removed the bottom floor in the first chamber, by doing this it gives you a lot more room in there and makes it deeper.
then i bought a gravel vac that was the same size as the tube for the skimmer and connected the 2 together, so from having a 8 inch skimmer it is now close to 14 inches, allowing for more contact time.
i also got rid of the pump they send you with the skimmer and bought a rena pump with is 4.5 psi.
the results have been so much better i am pulling out a dark foam now instead of a greenish liquid."