2Quills, 120G Re-build thread.

2quills

Gracias mi Amigos.
Lois - I could put a date on it but I haven't been able to stick to this far yet so why break tradition lol. But it's not far off now. I have a couple of 55g's sitting in the garage and need to set one of for a temporary home for my fish while I set the new one up, tear the old one down so that I can cook my rocks and re use some of them. Also need power heads which I'm still on the fence about. Something tells me that if a hold out just a tad bit longer something newer and better will be out.
Gotta build the rock wall stuff too and maybe an illuminated shadow box for the back of the tank.
Shawn - Thanks. Still have the doors to finish up tomorrow and Wednesday. Need more lacquer again! Didn't anticipate how much I'd go through while spraying the stuff. Gotta say though, I do love the stain color very much. Durring the day it takes on the redish cherry color and in the evening a darker chocolaty color. Pretty sweet if I do say.
Kefer - the video is sick. I know it ain't natural but it's pretty friggin kewl.
RickRoss - Thanks, Dude!
Seth - Thanks, Man! Just goes to show what a dude with no skills or no real plans for that matter can accomplish on his weekends off.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/760#post_3475699
Gracias mi Amigos.
Lois - I could put a date on it but I haven't been able to stick to this far yet so why break tradition lol. But it's not far off now. I have a couple of 55g's sitting in the garage and need to set one of for a temporary home for my fish while I set the new one up, tear the old one down so that I can cook my rocks and re use some of them. Also need power heads which I'm still on the fence about. Something tells me that if a hold out just a tad bit longer something newer and better will be out.
Gotta build the rock wall stuff too and maybe an illuminated shadow box for the back of the tank.
Why is everyone so facsinated in rock walls?

2quills

The rock wall will be a necissary evil if Im going to incorporate the idea of a shadow box background on this tank. It wont be a full blown wall. I have an idea of trying to simulate a cave looking environment. Kinda hard to explain but I think it will look pretty sweet.
Thanks, Krista and Josh.

sweatervest13

Looking Good!!
I think just getting it in the house is a major accomplishment. NOW, how could you NOT go into overdrive to finish it??? I could not look at something so beautiful sit empty for long. Way to go Corey!!

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/760#post_3475728
The rock wall will be a necissary evil if Im going to incorporate the idea of a shadow box background on this tank. It wont be a full blown wall. I have an idea of trying to simulate a cave looking environment. Kinda hard to explain but I think it will look pretty sweet.
Thanks, Krista and Josh.
Oh yes,..... the shadow box, forgot all about that.
Looking good and bravo!

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/760#post_3475741
Looking Good!!
I think just getting it in the house is a major accomplishment. NOW, how could you NOT go into overdrive to finish it??? I could not look at something so beautiful sit empty for long. Way to go Corey!!

That's the hope. The wife is so ready for this thing to have fish in it I had to wrestle the garden hose from her earlier. The base stand is a heavy son of a gun but a buddy and I got it all in here.

The dogs couldn't contain themselves from all of the excitement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers
http:///t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/760#post_3475744
Oh yes,..... the shadow box, forgot all about that.
Looking good and bravo!
Well, you were the one who first brought the idea to the thread IIRC. It seems like it could be a worth while endeavor to incorporate one. It could turn out to be a pain in the butt though having to keep the back of the tank clean and nice all the time. Mag scrapers don't tend to cooperate very well back there.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/760#post_3475845
That's the hope. The wife is so ready for this thing to have fish in it I had to wrestle the garden hose from her earlier. The base stand is a heavy son of a gun but a buddy and I got it all in here.

The dogs couldn't contain themselves from all of the excitement...

Well, you were the one who first brought the idea to the thread IIRC. It seems like it could be a worth while endeavor to incorporate one. It could turn out to be a pain in the butt though having to keep the back of the tank clean and nice all the time. Mag scrapers don't tend to cooperate very well back there.
okay, first and foremost, after seeing the tank up and in position, I had to go out and get a cigerette. OMG! Really puts this build into perspective.
The idea of the shadow box is indeed a complicated one however, if there is a way to accomplish this, it would be you my fajita eatin' friend, however, who said you needed water in the shadow box? Who would suggest this is "the only way" it can be done? Hmmmmm....
A poster board painted ocean blue with a few cutouts of rocks, corals and other whatevers, and a light (preferrably an LED strip of white light).
I do see your point with the scrapper and the back glass.
Nonetheless, I'm curious, wouldn't the "rock wall" cover the back hence covering the shadowbox?
On another note, love the dogs taking interest on the couch. I bet it was hard for them to keep all that excitement in. Lol

snakeblitz33

Wow Corey. I like the wood work. Beautiful.
Now time to install lights and equipment! Shadow box included,....
Iirc, you used plywood with wood glue and pocket holes? Is the tank sitting on styro?

2quills

The tank is just sitting on the stand. I do still need to pick up some foam though for the sump to sit on. Pocket holes, glue, screws, finish nails, poplar and plywood is what I used to put it all together. The front and side skin is poplar wood. Backs, tops and sides are plywood.
Keif, I was just sayin it might be a pain constantly having to keep the back panel of the tank clean to keep the view looking nice. Shouldnt be a huge deal though. I can only make the illuminated box so big because of the plumbing on the back of the tank. The rock wall wont encompass the entire back side of the tank. Think of like a large port hole in the rock wall on the back thats illuminated. Kinda like youre inside of a cave looking out. Thats pretty much the idea. It's probably just going to be something best viewed in the evenings.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/760#post_3475862
The tank is just sitting on the stand. I do still need to pick up some foam though for the sump to sit on. Pocket holes, glue, screws, finish nails, poplar and plywood is what I used to put it all together. The front and side skin is poplar wood. Backs, tops and sides are plywood.
Keif, I was just sayin it might be a pain constantly having to keep the back panel of the tank clean to keep the view looking nice. Shouldnt be a huge deal though. I can only make the illuminated box so big because of the plumbing on the back of the tank. The rock wall wont encompass the entire back side of the tank. Think of like a large port hole in the rock wall on the back thats illuminated. Kinda like youre inside of a cave looking out. Thats pretty much the idea. It's probably just going to be something best viewed in the evenings.
sometimes it's the simplest of things that are so beautiful.
In the words of my old friend and former Commander, "show me something" Lol

2quills

Thanks, guys. I'll be putting the finish coats on the doors tonight so I should have them on the stand by tommorow night. Gotta replace one of my cooling fans in the canopy, the leds aren't really working right and they haven't since I purchased it. Shoulda took it back when I had the chance. Oh well, it's only a $10 fan. I think next week sometime I'll start placing orders for the rockwall and illuminated back ground stuff.