2Quills, 120G Re-build thread.

acrylic51

Looks good Corey.....Love the scrubber lights....... The skimmer should rock!!!!! The Water Blaster is the return pump......

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/720#post_3463252
Looks good Corey.....Love the scrubber lights....... The skimmer should rock!!!!! The Water Blaster is the return pump......
Thanks, Shawn...sorry we got cut off earlier. As you know I decided to pull the trigger and ordered my skimmer and pump today. But I went one step up on sizes for both items. I'll now be getting the Skimz SK 201 skimmer and Water Blaster 5000 return pump. A little more digging around into the specs and I believe the SK 201 to be a close equivalent of the Reef Octopus xp2000. And at my heights for headloss on the pump I should end up with between 750- 800gph from the 1300gph pump or approximately a 6-6.5x turnover rate of the display tank going by their flow charts.

acrylic51

Cool deal Corey....My phone was actually dying as well.....You should be fine.....You have to leave yourself a little headroom on both items....We all have a "plan" on what are stocking is going to be, but we all know we deviate a bit from original plans and with the extra headroom you can go a bit heavier if you opt too......

1guydude

Hehe that's right water blaster!!!! I may have saw one of those today actually when I picked up a lobster.....
It didn't have the front piece though.
Sry for just swingin by every now and again but Ur tank and build is beautiful so far.
Ur scrubbers like 3 times the size mine lol...why separate the scrubber plumbing, now u need another pump ?!?!

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/740#post_3463300
Hehe that's right water blaster!!!! I may have saw one of those today actually when I picked up a lobster.....
It didn't have the front piece though.
Sry for just swingin by every now and again but Ur tank and build is beautiful so far.
Ur scrubbers like 3 times the size mine lol...why separate the scrubber plumbing, now u need another pump ?!?!
Thanks. Biggest reason I had to want to use a dedicated pump for the scrubber is so that I can have the option of isolating the scrubber and scrubber chamber from the rest of the system while continuing to keep everything in the system still running. This should come in handy if I want to dose things like bicarbonate or iron to the scrubber itself and not the rest of the tank. I could simply cycle the same water through the scrubber for like half a day to soak up those supplements without dosing them to the hole tank.
The size looks rather big and it kind of is. But I'm only going to be focusing in on a 10x10 area for primary growth. The method I'm going for here is to have the capabilities to achieve the equivalent of an algae scrubber on steriods. I'm going to find out come hell or high water how well they really work or not.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/740#post_3464259
Looks Good!!!! I think the dog is excited as well!!!!!
That dog is always excited no matter what is going on lol. And she's always trying to squeeze her way in front of the camera.
Packages unwrapped...

New Protein Skimmer: Skims SK 201 Kone.

Websites have this skimmer being sold with the ES 2800 pump 780 L/H air pull at 13 watts. They actually made changes to the pumps a little while back and the skimmer now comes with an Eden ES 2800 pump but the specs are now 1020 L/H air pull at 16 watts. That puts the numbers between the Bubble Blaster 2000 and 3000 pumps on the octopus XP series skimmers.

The way water exits the skimmer is from the bottom of the base itself. No stand pipe on these. Supposedly it's less back pressure on the pump though I can't really seeing it making a huge difference. But we'll see. The water level in the skimmer body is adjusted by something that looks like a guillotine but acts similar to a gate valve.

There's a hole underneath the pump where the water exits via this channel in the base. The adjustments knob raises and lowers the guillotine controlling the amount of flow that exits the skimmer which in turn raises and lowers the water level in the skimmer body.

New Return Pump: I went with a Water Blaster 5000. Construction looks good but I'm not crazy about the metric union fitting on the pump. 1" pvc fits the union perfect but 1" sch 40 unions won't fit the threads on the pump. Not a big deal but would like to see that changed for pumps brought into the American market. Otherwise I hear mostly nothing but good things about these pumps so we'll see how it goes. These pumps send a digital signal on start up to ensure they fire up in the right direction every time.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/740#post_3464304
Looking very good.....I like how the skimmer comes apart......
Thanks, Shawn. 4 nylon screws, 1 in each corner bolt the body to the base. Only takes a minute to pull apart. I may be borderline too large with this skimmer. But I plan to feed heavy and will require a low nutrient environment. So hopefully it'll work out.

2quills

Thanks, guys. But, Al, I already told you, you can't have my Bud Light. :p
Man o man, the anticipation of getting this baby wet again is killing me. Trying to tie up as many loose ends as possible right now. I'd like to get this thing clear coated and brought in the house in the next couple of weeks. Things on the list to get still are power heads, new ro/di filter, a little more rock and sand and that should about do it. The lights can be built after things are up and running. But the sooner I get it inside then the happier I'll be.
Got the remaining hole drilled for the second siphon drain and also enlarged the hole for my return plumbing. Went from a 3/4" bulkhead to a 1" bulkhead.

Thinking about using one of these wye's for my open channel line. I have to look and see if Lowes has them in 1.25".

Still need a few more various fittings, elbows and unions but I think I'm going to be much happier with this set up, incorporating the siphon drains.

Making some new overflows to go in the tank...Just going with 2 sides corner boxes this time. Should be a nicer, cleaner look as well.

Looks like it's coming along. Why did you decide to go with the fittings on the inside of the tank? Especially that one V shapped fitting. I figure those will be on the inside of the overflow boxes, but I'm just trying to learn the science behind the madness :)

2quills

Thanks, guys. It's getting there. Starting to turn my attentions more towards rock work for the tank now. Still might incorporate a small shadow box into the tank...decisions, decisions.
Southern Wolf: The elbows are used for the specific purpose of where the drains will take in the water. 2 smaller siphon drains will take the majority of the flow. I put elbows on them and turn them down so that they take water from the very bottom of the box. I'm trying to avoid having any vortexes in the overflow box which will create sucking sounds. The two larger drains are open channel. One will be used during normal operation and the other is merely an emergency drain. I was kicking around the idea of using the V shaped fitting for the open channel because I thought it might allow the water gently flow into the pipe instead of falling over into the pipe. Just trying to keep everything as quiet as possible.
Cool video...not sure if this tank is under leds or not but it's clearly under u.v. light....

2quills

Couple of quick shots of the finish going on the stand...
6 coats worth...So far I'm pretty happy with the way it's drying. Opted to spray it with lacquer. 3 coats yesterday, 3 more today spaced out over a half hour in between coats. Didn't sand between coats at all. Not sure if I want to polish it to a mirror like finish or not. So far I like the way it is with the satin hint to it.
Need to get this thing finished up and in the house this weekend. Got family and friends coming in for Memorial weekend and we're tired of looking at this thing in the garage. Gotta get it inside so we can enjoy it at least a little bit. Might not have fish but I can decorate it with rock. Perhaps a little light for ambiance.