2Quills, 120G Re-build thread.

2quills

Nah, I'm not going anywhere. I still have my 50g going for the time being to help curb my fix.
I really can't say for certain if I'm going to sell it or not. If I can't get at least $1,500 for it then I'll probably keep it. I just figured that if I know I'm going to move in 8 months, I don't see a whole lot of sense in rushing to set it up just to break it down and move it again. So I'm gonna throw it out on the market, see if there are any rich fools out there looking to get in the hobby that don't mind spending the money for something different. I already know that an experienced hobbyist is going to low ball me any day of the weak. My local store does a lot of business on the island for tank maintenance. It's kind of trendy for rich people who live near the beach to have a fish tank. If I can hook me one of them then it might be worth it to sell. And for the right price 3-4K i'd probably be willing to throw in EVERYTHING!
Brand new custom stand & canopy (one of a kind) with built in ventilation. $2000 in material value (doesn't include cost of all the necessary supplies used to construct which is more like 3k).
Used 120g long reef ready tank (recently resealed and leak tested for a month). 4 drains, 1 return all the necessary plumbing. Bulkheads are all sch80 (heavy duty) and brand new. Wide custom acrylic overflows for maximum surface skimming area with covers. Estimated value $220
Large custom acrylic sump (which isn't easy to come by down here). $400 value
A 16G acrylic top off tank or can be kept and used as nano tank. $40 value
Brand new Skimz sk201 skimmer. $480 value
Brand new water blaster 5000 pump $210 value
Brand new custom led lighting pendants with programmable timing $500+ value
Plumbing is easily $200 invested.
They can even have the algae scrubber with it's custom acrylic sleeve. $50 estimated value.
So, I don't know. 4k doesn't seem like an all bad starting point for everything that went into this system. Of course the countless hours of time I put into it I'll never see back again. But it was worth it for the experience that I've gained along the way. And as mentioned I don't have to sell it. I can wait and if I don't like the offers that I get then I'll just keep it. If I still have it come Febuary then at that point in time I probably will keep it and run it in the new place. Was just hoping that if I could get someone to pay me close to $2500 or $3000 for it then I'd definitely take it and put it towards a larger system.

acrylic51

Honestly bud I'd sit on it......Might be hard to get your investment out of it, but I wouldn't be low balled by any means........
Personally I wouldn't part with much of the equipment though......I'd keep the BB pump.....the sump as well, can always come in handy for those side tanks, unless someone is paying top dollar your asking.......I just think it might be hard to sell as a complete setup.......Even over on RC you see that most aren't willing to put up big cash on nice systems.......

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/800#post_3478780
Honestly bud I'd sit on it......Might be hard to get your investment out of it, but I wouldn't be low balled by any means........
Personally I wouldn't part with much of the equipment though......I'd keep the BB pump.....the sump as well, can always come in handy for those side tanks, unless someone is paying top dollar your asking.......I just think it might be hard to sell as a complete setup.......Even over on RC you see that most aren't willing to put up big cash on nice systems.......
It was hard for me to give stuff away over there.

snakeblitz33

Yeah man, as Gemmy said... it was hard for me to even give stuff away on RC. They expect everything for nearly free...
I think you have it right though, you need to find a customer that doesn't want to do it himself and just wants a nice setup without the work that has the cash... which is going to be difficult to find these days.
I wouldn't get rid of all that equipment either. I would think the easiest way to sell it might be to just include the stand and tank together and everything else separate. Sooner or later you will want your stuff back and you won't have it.....

2quills

Oh yeah I wouldnt even dream of trying to sell it on RC. Would definitely have to be a local buyer. Im with you guys, I really dont want to get rid of the equipment. If I can offload just the tank with the stand for a reasonable deal then I'll just do that. I'll put it up on c list and my local forum this weekend and see how it goes. My wife would never allow me to just give it away dirt cheap unless we were in dire straits and had to have some cash but this isnt one of those situations, thankfully.

2quills

Well screw that I'm not selling the system. I have to much vested into it at this point to turn back now. So good news it that I think we found our house. And it has a perfect spot for the tank to set. So it's game on. Plenty of time for upgrades later.
Need an opinion or two though....
Keep it mind this isn't the finished product yet. But, does this wall speak to you? I'm not so sure that I'm feelin it yet.

I plan to cover them with a little more sand when I do the epoxy seal coat.

cipher43

Wow that is great to hear man! Can't wait to see more. I have to agree with ya it looks good but It's missing something IMO

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher43 http:///t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/800#post_3498948
Wow that is great to hear man! Can't wait to see more. I have to agree with ya it looks good but It's missing something IMO
Thanks, Greg. How's goes the scrubber lights?
Agree, it's missing something. And I'm not just talking about water and corals. Maybe some branching pieces of rock, I'm not sure. The initial idea was to not go to crazy and load it with a ton of rock because I'm going to probably join the rock work from the sand into it. If that makes sense. There will be a two more pieces that join the top and bottom of the to pieces on the back wall. Then the opening on the back and the two openings on the sides will be illuminated with blue light from the exterior of the tank.

novahobbies

I have to agree with Seth. Please don't take this the wrong way, but that one wall does not speak to me.
Scratch that, it does: It said "Spongebob Squarepants."
The rest of the tank looked great, but that piece for the side just seems a bit too angular and heavy handed. I would consider cutting the foam so it's a little more natural looking, and possibly cut it so it doesn't take up the entire side of the tank.
Oh, and BTW.......SO glad you're moving forward with this!!!

al&burke

I think it would look great if you had an arch or something like that going to the wall. It looks to square right now, don't get me wrong, I think there is a lot you could do with it. Keep the pictures coming.

2quills

Thanks guys. I have to say that I agree with you all. It is boxy and kinda crazy looking right now. The wife even thought it looked like some sort of strange artifact that came off of the sea floor or something. :)
Ultimately I envision it with monti caps growing out of the corners of the wall and branching sps creaping out of a few spots. However, it is still far from finished. Once I've gotten the panels installed and have filled in the gaps I should be able to tack in a few more pieces of rock if need be to help it all blend and flow. I've considered leaving some space as well for pre drilling some holes in the walls for frag plugs.
Al, I like that idea buddy.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/800#post_3499092
Maybe a shadowbox??
Yep that's kind of the idea and really that's a big reason why I wanted to make the wall. Actually, I want it to simulate more like a cave type dwelling space I guess you could say. Ultimately the back panel will have a small box that attaches to the back of my stand and canopy. In which I will have some leds illuminating the box. The light will then have to travel through some blue acrylic which will be attached to the back of the glass.
Unfortunately I came upon the idea much after the fact that I had started building the system. So I have to adapt the idea to how I designed the system. Only way to really do it was to do a small shadow box on the back. It has to be a thin box. But I should be able to encorporate some cut-out's of shapes and what not to simulate depth. Then on the side panels there are 2 more holes. One will be a cut-out for a power head to sit and then the other hole will be illuminated with blue light at well. So the two sides and the back will be lit like this.

Here are a couple of inspirational pics that I've been checking out.

Mine has a long way to go.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/378912/2quills-120g-re-build-thread/800#post_3502776
Any updates?
Hey, Seth
Nothing major to report on as far as the tank goes. We got moved into the new house over the holiday last week/weekend. Before the move I had gotten the 4 panels for the rock wall foamed up but they are still not near being finished just yet. Right now we're still trying to get settled in. It's crazy how much stuff two people can accumulate over time. The movers brought the biggest truck they had and we still had to make trips with the pick up trucks (sigh). But the hard part is over. Right now the tank is sitting outside in the new garage.

Happy to report that they got the stand/canopy over in one piece/pieces.

Though, I'm sad to report that the ol 50g tank is probably going to be taken down permanently and that my 2 remaining fish have moved on to bluer waters.

But the dogies made it o.k.