30 Gallon SPS Reef Build

geoj

Ive got a silver bullet, consider taking three hours to read all this, see if you don't think your HA will disappear as well. LInking to this site saves me from typing everything here...if you want to discuss it after reading Im all ears. The point of what Im about to link to you is that you do not have to control nutrients to have an algae free tank, sounds hard to believe I know, but how's the last 20 years of algae knowledge working for you>? Same for many people, we needed new ways to fight and here's one. at least I collect before and after pics for proof, its something you might consider using. The thread wouldn't be so large if it didn't work. You can have your tank rid of all HA in one week. You will retreat every few months, thats about it.
Its not that specialized filtration (GFO) and prefilters etc/lighting alterations etc won't work, its that they have an incredibly low cure rate, its inconsistent or we wouldn't have a thousand problem algae threads online. With this treatment, we have cure rates in the 90% range. better stats at least..
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2082359&page=41
Thanks for posting, I am in complete agreement, long term the attempted to starve out the algae will have a negative effect on corals. That instead you must kill it off in some other way, or provide a suitable place for it to grow. I prefer to buy new corals and treat them in QT. I have used Peroxide and Algaefix in tandem both can have positive result or negative results and care must be taken in there use.

mason

Sure I agree. nutrient starving certainly does work for some, at least there are other options to mix it up if that doesn't work! some of our most recent posters were GFO users who got tired of waiting for the kill and went ahead and went right after the target...

lubeck

Your right Shawn. Should have listened. I'm going toread more only on page 5 but I take it that you don't rinse if your draining to the source. I have shrimps will it be okay not rinsing if I don't remove the rock? Also is there a quicker link to know what corals and inverts/ crustations do not tolerate peroxide.

spanko

Have a read at the first link here.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Peroxide+saves+my+Tank!+With+pics+to+Prove+It!%2C+Dipping+my+LR+in+diluted+H2O2+is+beating+bryopsis&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb

lubeck

Well it's been almost 24 hrs since I spot dosed with peroxide. I don't see any significant results at this time. I used 100% peroxide and let it sit for about 3 min before rinsing with some rodi water before putting back in the tank. I thought it would turn white in one day? I'm not sold on this stuff just yet

acrylic51

I think some people did see instant results and others it took a couple days......Not any signs of die off.......

mason

The length of time since the bottle was first opened matters too...in our thread all the peroxide was from new bottles. I still bet it will work might just take some extra time.

lubeck

Fair enough. I'm not really sure if there is die off. My eyes may want to see die off more than what is real. What I'm seeing is some thining right now

lubeck

Not too old maybe 5 mths. but I went and got a new bottle anyway. Has anyone ever tried it with a giant clam? I have some on the shell and am worried about the run off getting onto its foot

lubeck

I must say I'm not that impressed with the peroxide. My expectations were high on how fast this would be resolved and its not. I'm seeing some thining but not completely gone in any way. It will take 3-4 more times to get it all done

lubeck

Well after two doses there's improvement and significant loss. Not a very good pic but see for yourself.

acrylic51

Looks good.....sometimes not as fast as we want it though.....Hopefully it will all die off and no issues here out.......

lubeck

I'm not sure I found the source of the problem. The one rock that was covered in HA I dosed with 100% peroxide two times. Most of the HA Is gone but where it was is now forming what looks like diatom growth. I thought I read that nothing will really grow where the peroxide was applied? I did a nice big water change last night and scrubbed another Rock that had some HA. I also scrubbed my clam that had some on its shell and wiped it with diluted peroxide. I've been noticing that the HA is getting brown and really slimy. It's hard to explain. I hope this is an indication that is dying off.
I removed another 5lbs or so of sand last night I plan on going bare bottom until I find a sand that won't blow everywhere with my flow. My fish are liking the nooks to swim through now that half of the sand is gone.
I feel that my lighting is the biggest contributor to the HA along with feeding. I lost a couple of my acros and a few others are looking pale. I'm going out of town and will be lowering the lights Down to about 30%. I will see what it looks like when I return in 10 days.

acrylic51

I think the brown, slimy, stringy stuff is a good indication it is dying off........How's the skimmer performing......