48 hour cycle magic?

camfish

I won't ever use this product because I like the month+ grace period where I can change my mind on what I want for my tank. Some product do have the bacteria, but they still won't completely cycle your tank in 48 hours. They will and do cut down on cycle time, but just because after 48 hours your tank parameters are good, don't assume that it is cycled. Even Cycle cuts down on cycling time believe it or not. This product contains the wrong kind of bacteria, but it does contain something that causes the bacteria to thrive...so it does work, just a little fun fact for those who think that Cycle is just colored water.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by camfish
http:///forum/post/2618516
I won't ever use this product because I like the month+ grace period where I can change my mind on what I want for my tank. Some product do have the bacteria, but they still won't completely cycle your tank in 48 hours. They will and do cut down on cycle time, but just because after 48 hours your tank parameters are good, don't assume that it is cycled. Even Cycle cuts down on cycling time believe it or not. This product contains the wrong kind of bacteria, but it does contain something that causes the bacteria to thrive...so it does work, just a little fun fact for those who think that Cycle is just colored water.
I have used cycle. What do you think works about it? It is another bottle of nothing. It contains the "wrong" bacteria? What would that be? I am not trying to flame you at all. Live rock adds biological bacteria. How can live bacteria come from a bottle on the shelf? That is almost as silly as thinking that dry sand, in a bag, contains biological bacteria.

jkalvoda

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2618617
How can live bacteria come from a bottle on the shelf? That is almost as silly as thinking that dry sand, in a bag, contains biological bacteria.
Actually very easily, bacteria can survive very harsh conditions (many times going into a spore form until the conditions are right again). Bacteria can even survive on spacecraft for very long periods of time. Now that said i am in no way endorsing these products as i still dont think you get as good of a cycle as one that takes a longer period of time, not to mention gives me time to payoff the cards before adding livestock.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by jkalvoda
http:///forum/post/2618691
Actually very easily, bacteria can survive very harsh conditions (many times going into a spore form until the conditions are right again). Bacteria can even survive on spacecraft for very long periods of time. Now that said i am in no way endorsing these products as i still dont think you get as good of a cycle as one that takes a longer period of time, not to mention gives me time to payoff the cards before adding livestock.

Yet it cannot survive without water flow and a supply of ammonia in a tank. The biological bacteria in a tank is not quite what you are talking about here. Biological bacteria needs an ammonia source, and it needs oxygen. It dies if the tank gets too cold too. This is the bacteria that breaks down ammonia. Bacteria is present everywhere. We are not talking about bacteria that can live in space. We are talking about tank biological bacteria. This in a bottle? Not likely.

jkalvoda

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2619347
Yet it cannot survive without water flow and a supply of ammonia in a tank. The biological bacteria in a tank is not quite what you are talking about here. Biological bacteria needs an ammonia source, and it needs oxygen. It dies if the tank gets too cold too. This is the bacteria that breaks down ammonia. Bacteria is present everywhere. We are not talking about bacteria that can live in space. We are talking about tank biological bacteria. This in a bottle? Not likely.
Well i stand corrected, after delving a little deeper into the marine nitrogen cycle i found out that this type of bacteria does indeed die off when out of ammonia and/or other circumstances, guess i just figured they had some form of spore preservation.
Thanks for the lesson and making me do some research

sepulatian

Originally Posted by jkalvoda
http:///forum/post/2619384
Well i stand corrected, after delving a little deeper into the marine nitrogen cycle i found out that this type of bacteria does indeed die off when out of ammonia and/or other circumstances, guess i just figured they had some form of spore preservation.
Thanks for the lesson and making me do some research

We all learn something new every day. That is the point of it all

camfish

When the wrong type of bacteria in the bottle dies off, it actually produces ammonia that the the others feed off of, so the bacteria can live, but there is much die off. When you introduce this mess into your tank, it just dies and becomes a food source for other bacteria. They do however add other things into the bottle besides just bacteria that can help the bacteria thrive...even though this bacteria does nothing, by introducing those other things, they help your tank's bacteria thrive. The time by which your cycle time speeds up is not noticeable. This product is a waste of money. Using LR and pure ammonia/ghost feedings is probably the best way to cycle at this point in time.

sepulatian

This product is a waste of money. Using LR and pure ammonia/ghost feedings is probably the best way to cycle at this point in time.
Cam, I am going to agree with you here and leave it at that.

R

rcreations

Why does everyone want to rush the cycle of a new tank? I mean you wait 2-4 weeks. What's that compared to the many years you can enjoy your fish and coral? I see this a lot at my LFS, people eager to get started right away, they get sold some useless instant cycle product, then they toss in a bunch of fish, the fish die and they get discouraged and give up on the hobby. If only they took it slower at first.
Worst thing I ever saw at my LFS... they sold this poor guy the instant cycle and 2 fish at the same time.

camfish

Wow, that is horrible. I wish that there was an lfs that actually cared enough and wasn't just out to make some quick cash. At least the guy got some dead fish to start the cycle with.

florida joe

If you don’t have the patience (did I spell it right Sir Q) to cycle IMO you will not have the patience to QT. And we all know where I stand on that

bgbdwlf2500

ill stick with my guns on this one, there are some products that do work for an instant cycle...there are directions on the bag....ie dont add a certain lentgh of fish in the first month.... the key is its not in a bottle its in a bag of substrate with a shelf life and is expensive....
As i told Sep in another post i'll admit if my fish die in a tank thats only been set up for 3 weeks, now 4 but im still waiting on the spike, ammo or trite....

omen nemzo

Originally Posted by camfish
http:///forum/post/2621492
Wow, that is horrible. I wish that there was an lfs that actually cared enough and wasn't just out to make some quick cash. At least the guy got some dead fish to start the cycle with.
the LFS I go to does. They ask you about every thing about your tank if you even look at something for more then 2 mins. Also they are pretty good about know who just started a tank, if the person picked up the stuff from them, and will not sell you any thing, well maybe a damsel but still hard to get them to do that, unless its been running for a month or you bring some test water in.
However they were not the store IO started with and it cost me 2 fish because I knew nothing about the cycle. They told me buy some LR LS and salt and wait a day for it to settle then come back and we'll set you up with a fish. Also the fish was for a older tank and not just for one set up in the past few months even

camfish

Wow, you are one lucky guy...I have 2 lfs in my area that are almost out of business and quite frankly, they don't care.

omen nemzo

Yeah, and they really are the LFS around here with 3 stores, 2 under 30min of driving, and they are about to open another sometime in june. Its nice having 2 stores run by the same ppl close by so if one doesn't have somthing its a good bet the other will.
I needed to get rid of a peralscale because Im starting to add corals. The one nearest to me said they couldnt take it because they had one and they dont sell to well and tolk me to call the next one. I traded it there with $15 put to a Blue hippo tang. Aslo If I have any problems I just give them a call, Before I found the forums here. So now I can ask here and call them, more ppl means better help(most of the time)

omen nemzo

Oh BTW that blue tang has ick now, the thread is under blue tang with ick, If anyone could post a few things please it would help (I went to the LFS and talked to them but Id like if I could also see what you guys and gals have to say)

sepulatian

Originally Posted by omen nemzo
http:///forum/post/2627610
Yeah, and they really are the LFS around here with 3 stores, 2 under 30min of driving, and they are about to open another sometime in june. Its nice having 2 stores run by the same ppl close by so if one doesn't have somthing its a good bet the other will.
I needed to get rid of a peralscale because Im starting to add corals. The one nearest to me said they couldnt take it because they had one and they dont sell to well and tolk me to call the next one. I traded it there with $15 put to a Blue hippo tang. Aslo If I have any problems I just give them a call, Before I found the forums here. So now I can ask here and call them, more ppl means better help(most of the time)
Did you let him know your tank size?

mkzimms

i say just wait it out... the initial cycle is the shortest amount of time you will wait for anything to happen in this hobby anyway. patience is the key.