480gal, shark, eel pics

robn

Here are a few pics of my tank with shots of my horn shark and eel.....these pics are taken with just the VHO's, no MH.....

A

alexmir

Why do you have Metal halide lights on a fish only tank? and how big will that shark get? he looks like he would quickly outgrow that tank. If he already hasnt.

robn

alexmir,
Well it's actually not a fish-only tank, or it's not supposed to be.....there are a few corals in it, just not very many.....I had an accident with my kalkwasser reactor and it killed off several of the corals.
I have halides for a couple of the corals, because I have kept clams, and because I really like the shimmer effect. Plus they were on my previous reef tank and I didn't see a compelling reason to not carry them over to this tank.
A California horn will reach a max of 4' in the wild.....the max in captivity is usually around 32"-34"......mine is 24" right now. The tank is a 480gal, 8'X2'X4'......the 4' front-to-back is really great and gives him lots of turning room.....the rock is arranged where the shark can swim all the way around.....I believe Scott Michael mentions a 240gal as the minimum size for a horn shark, and since a horn is a benthic species he should be set for life.
Quakstar,
I have 4 250W MH on the tank.....they had already cycled off when I took this pic.....
Thanks Bang Guy!

robn

kjr_trig,
Thanks......the eel is actually a jeweled eel.....he's the oldest tank inhabitant (and also the meanest!)

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by robn
http:///forum/post/2624015
kjr_trig,
Thanks......the eel is actually a jeweled eel.....he's the oldest tank inhabitant (and also the meanest!)

Gotcha, my understanding they are also known as the Mexican Dragon?
And I have heard they get bigger and more aggressive than the Brazilian which I am considering down the road.

crimzy

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2624037
Gotcha, my understanding they are also known as the Mexican Dragon?
And I have heard they get bigger and more aggressive than the Brazilian which I am considering down the road.
They are also known as the Mexican Dragon, although I never found mine to be all that aggressive... lived peacefully with larger fish (unless they got in his way at feeding time).
Awesome tank.

aquaknight

What are the dimensions on the tank? Considering a shark reef myself down the line.
Awesome tank though!
Love MH's on fish-only or nearly fish only's myself (have some monti caps and anemones in mine).

sharkbait9

awesome set up

Nice to see you took the time to research your stock list and have suitable size space

The nets definitely add to the area around the tank

robn

Thanks all.....
My eel is pretty aggressive at feeding time....not so much when it's not lunchtime.......he HAS eaten a few of my smaller fish though, particularly any sand-sifting goby...

AquaKnight,
The dimensions are 8' long, 2' top to bottom, and 4' front to back.....the front-to-back depth gives you alot of aquascaping possibilities and also gives the horn some turning room.....for example, the "cove" on the right side is about 32" from the front of the tank.....

crimzy

Can't help but notice that your tank is very lightly stocked. Is this by design or are you going to be adding more livestock? If so, what do you plan to add?

robn

Can't help but notice that your tank is very lightly stocked. Is this by design or are you going to be adding more livestock? If so, what do you plan to add?
Yeah, unfortunately it is light right now.......I am battling a bad case of ich......I've lost a couple of tangs this week, a Sohal and a large Dussimier. Right now I have a 4" Blue Tang, 3" Red Coris Wrasse, 3" Lunare Wrasse, 6" Green Bird Wrasse, and a large batfish. I also have a school of 11 bar gobies......when the halides go off, the gobies tuck themselves in for the night.....they go into the LR and the sand.
I would dearly love to get a female horn and try to get them to breed, but I think that might be pushing it in a tank this small (relatively speaking).....I love tangs but can't add any right now due to the ich. Gotta sit tight for now and I'm not the most patient person I admit.
Tangs and maybe a small grouper are what I will be stocking......as you know, when you keep a shark you limit yourself on tankmates.....mostly keeping the other tankmates from picking on your shark which is opposite of what alot of people would think.....so no triggers, angels, puffers, lionfish, etc. for me :(

crimzy

Originally Posted by robn
http:///forum/post/2624244
so no triggers, angels, puffers, lionfish, etc. for me :(
I had my shark with my lion with no problems. I am surprised that your sohal did not pick on your shark. Mine beat the hell out of my ray so I had to get rid of him.

robn

I have heard about problems with sharks accidentally bumping into a lionfish and getting stung, so I have never chanced it.......glad you had good luck with yours though.......do you still have the shark? What kind?
You know, I've had several Sohals and have never had a problem with any of them......I've heard several people with different experiences with them......I know they have a "bad boy" rep though......as you know, they are very active.....I wonder if me having a large tank may have curbed some of their territorial anger? Don't know.....

kjr_trig

Wow, you had a Sohal and Dussimier Tang
My 2 favorite Tangs (along with Achilles), would have loved to have seen that....I would be in mourning after losing them