6 month old tank.

chris walker90

Ok well im not super new to the saltwater world but there is still more i need to learn. I have a 30gal tank (i know its small) in the tank there is a Coral Beauty Angle just put it in 3 days ago seems to be doing great. There is also a Clown fish hes been in there for a while, also a Lawnmower Blenny with 3 brown legged hermit crabs and 5 blue legged hermit crabs. Ive got about 20lbs of live rock in there i know i need more just need money to buy some. Now the tank i bough was a whole set that i bough from a local pet store i also have a new 10,000k T8 ocean sun light and a BioWheel filter. Main thing in trying to do is figure out what i can do from here?

1guydude

welcome!
Are u planning on keeping coral or just fish?
id get maybe 10-20 more pounds of LR....depending on how full u like it to be...
we all do it diff!
How bout some pics too!

chris walker90

i would love coral but i dont have the money for lighing system right now. so i think im just sticking with fish and i plan on getting more LR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///t/387951/6-month-old-tank#post_3417871

welcome!
Are u planning on keeping coral or just fish?
id get maybe 10-20 more pounds of LR....depending on how full u like it to be...
we all do it diff!
How bout some pics too!

mproctor4

There are a few lower light corals you could get with your current lights. I had shop lights out of the garage for a while with a frogspawn at the top of the tank that did just fine. Bubble coral up high probably would be fine. Fox corals, mushrooms, chili corals, suncorals....to name a few all prefer lower lighting. Nothing at all wrong with a FOWLR tank, had them myself for many years. But it does add another dimension to the tank with some corals. Also a cleaner shrimp might be nice. They are fun to watch.
Welcome to the forums.

chris walker90

ok i will have pics up sometime. another question i was told that my coral beauty will nip and stuff on the coral if i do get any in there. is this true and is this going to be a problem?

mproctor4

My dwarf angels have never nipped at corals. (Knock on wood). But the potential is there. Every fish is different, you won't know until you try.

chris walker90

True True i guess i could try a cheep coral just in case my fish dose decide to have a small snack. But any other suggestions? i put a pic of my tank you can see my clown fish there on the right side and if you look closely you can see you can see the lawnmower blenny on the rock. and my coral beauty is hiding like always. its camra shy so its hard to get a pic.

mproctor4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris walker90 http:///t/387951/6-month-old-tank#post_3418175
True True i guess i could try a cheep coral just in case my fish dose decide to have a small snack. But any other suggestions? i put a pic of my tank you can see my clown fish there on the right side and if you look closely you can see you can see the lawnmower blenny on the rock. and my coral beauty is hiding like always. its camra shy so its hard to get a pic.
BTW--the coral beauty will wait until you get an expensive coral before it decides to snack. Murphy's law.

chris walker90

Yeah i have done my research and the coral beauty will eat coral. =( umm and another question i just got a coral banded shrimp.... is there any special i need to do to my tank befor i put him in it?

mproctor4

I've had 2 coral beauty fish and neither one ever touched a coral. Maybe you will get lucky too. I can't think of anything special you need to do to your tank for a coral bandit shrimp. Just keep in mind they can get very aggressive, especially if you have smaller fish.