75 Gallon Stand

N

nluchau

daytonaree,
This picture was posted in another thread by Scott9311 (Hope you dont mind me using it)
This is the kind of sand my Local Home Depot carries. They want $10 a bag for it. Its probably that expensive because they had to pull some teeth to get it to the midwest.
Do you have any pics of that base rock you picked up at the beach? If I lived in Florida I would be out there all the time picking up things. I know some things are illegal though.
Nick

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by DSkidmore
The bleach is going to be hard to remove. You could probably just use a brush and water to clean it.
I have bleached my coral but not with much. I would recommend if you do use bleach to rinse the rock a couple times and let it sit outside in the hot sun for a couple days

daytonaree

Heres some pictures of the baserock my good camera is not charged so please excuse the pictures. I wonder if I can dig up more if anyone would be interested in in for 1.00 a pound? Please
give opions on it. Thank you

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by annanymous
hmm :thinking: interesting...how do you post pics with your nextel phone? [they were taken with nextel right?]
Yeah that is pretty cool. I like the rock too.

N

nluchau

As promised to Annanymous here are a few pics of my 29 gallon as of today.
Also the latest pic of my 75 gallon
The tang is just too fast to get a good picture of.
Inhabitants of the 29 gallon.
Yellow Tang
Sixline Wrasse
2 blue green reef chromis
Chocolate chip starfish
Many hermits and some cerith snails hiding in the sand

N

nluchau

I can't forget the first inhabitant of the 75 gallon
Can you see him?

daytonaree

You just email yourself the picture and it has a link to the picture in the email to nextels site where that picture is and then go there and copy the link. Its not very high res. but its better than nothing. Nice tank I might add.

N

nluchau

Alright as of today my white sand is no longer as it is covered in brown diatoms. I have added now 2 hermits. I will get a ton more this weekend if these 2 live.
Just keeping ya posted

daytonaree

Have you tryied phosgaurd by seachem to lower your phosphates and silcates always worked for me evn though it ro water it still can be high in phosphates and silacates I found out the hard way after that I used phosgaurd and boy that helped like you would not beleave. Well just a though. Just trying to help hope you don't mind.

N

nluchau

So your saying I need to reduce my phosphates to rid the brown diatoms. I thought this was normal for a cycling tank? I'm lost :confused:

dskidmore

It is normal for a new tank. I wouldn't bother with anything fancier than a cleanup crew and regular water changes for a while.

N

nluchau

Thats exactly what I thought. Thanks
Here are a few pictures from this morning

N

nluchau

Today 6/25 -
I added 10 Astrea and 2 Turbo snails.
also I have a total of 5 hermits in there working away.
The brown diatoms aren't going away fast. Its all over everything
Anyone know how long this will last?
Thanks

dskidmore

Originally Posted by nluchau
Anyone know how long this will last?
What are your water parameters? Do you test for phospahtes?
Don't worry too much, it should go away on it's own in time.