75 plus

tthemadd1

So two days ago I tore down the tank, fuge, and setup a temporary 20 gal tank for the survivors. While the mother ship is cooking.

Here is the tank with new clean everything.

tthemadd1

In the fuge is a custom skimmer still waiting in a new cover plate for the pump. Mechanical filtration, no light at present (on the 20gal), some filter media, and carbon. Replumbed the return to make it more compact and take full advantage of the fuge space. It should be easier now to clean any detritus from the fuge without a bulky return pump in the way.

The 20 gallon lifeboat. The survivors
Clown
Xenias
Three sets of zoos
Brain
Three anemones. RBTA
Star polyps
Hammer coral
One snail
6 hermit crabs
2 hitchhiker gorilla crabs they will be staying in the fuge as long as they can't breed?
Day 2: put the rock back in the tank and now cycling.

Current readings

Salinity 1.023
PH 7 low not sure why with all new saltwater in the tank?

tthemadd1

Where do you get your water from? Tap. Distilled. RO? Also did you set your tank up brand new or use old rock/sand?
I'm thinking there may also be an issue with the salt I used to start up the tank
Finally how is the oxygen exchange? If the oxygen exchange is bad then there could be an issue there. I'm waiting to set up the skimmer which I use to help oxygenate the water. Once everything is in place I will know more about the cause.

tthemadd1

. Day 3: water is super clear. Not sure but I believe the peroxide bath has killed off a lot of the red bubble algae. Keeping my fingers crossed

Unfortunately, I use tap water. I'm working on getting an RO/DI unit. It was a used tank with sand. It was tore down and set back up the same night. Not sure of the water quality when it was tore down.
It has pretty good oxygen exchange. 4 circulation pumps and a HOB skimmer.
Good luck with the bubble algae. I had a small bout with it too. Got a phosphate remover and that seemed to help a lot.

tthemadd1

Few things. Tap sucks. We know adds phosphates to tank. Bubble algae is going away and I may have to dip them in hydrogen peroxide again before finishing my cycle.
The emergency tank is still running well so I am thinking a second dip and then a few weeks before transitioning anemones and corals back to main tank.
All in all anything you try is worthless if you continue using tap water. Here is the costs $220.00 for an under the sink system with a pressure tank from lowes.
Add more ice maker tubing and a float switch and you have an auto top off system. Add a t valve and you have pure water as well under the sink.
It will increase your water bill as it will dump back the overburden to the sink drain. Best way is to run it when you need it and shut the water off to it when it isn't needed. Also you only get a small percentage through the filter the remaining goes back to the drain or if you want plumb it to a storage tank outside to water your plants in the summer.

Going on vacation at the end of the month, so it'll have wait til after we get back.
The phosphate remover I got did a great job of keeping the algae down. Can't remember what one I had tho. Its hell getting old, lol.

tthemadd1

The die off on the rocks should be enough to complete the cycle right? Still waiting on pump parts for the skimmer. Thinking I may turn it on right off the bat to help remove organics from the die off.

It should help it cycle.
I usually run my skimmer at night and stick the airline in the water in the morning. I have a HOB unit and all the air bubbles look weird lol

tthemadd1

Day 7: so another two losses the last two days. Hammer coral bit the dust and my long time clown fish was not in good shape. At least the gorilla crabs and hermits had a nice meal.
On a good note my RBTA split today. So now I am up to four RBTAs. I did a 5 gallon water change in the 20gal emergency tank. I'm hoping I can keep everything left for another week or two. I'm seeing ammonia drop in the dt and the nitrites going up. Also some nitrate is coming online. That should mean cycle is coming along.
Still waiting on the cover plate for the skimmer but all in all just plugging away.

tthemadd1

Day 8: So ammonia back to 0, nitrites hitting a high mark, and Nitrates are up to 20ppm.
Anemone doing well even though it is moving a lot in the emergency tank.

tthemadd1

Day 10: Nitrites topping and Nitrates hitting a peak high. At least I know the API tests were working in the past. I never nitrates or nitrites in the tank per crash.
Now the waiting game.

tthemadd1

1 Cleaner shrimp 30.00
1 Peppermint shrimp 3.00
10 Margarita snails 15.00
10 Nassarius Snails 10.00
10 Turbo snails 9.99
2 Serpent starfish 12.99
1 Brittle Starfish 6.00
5 Cleaner Clams 15.00
Coral Beauty Angelfish 35.00
Six Line Wrasse 15.00
2 Snowflake Clowns 199.00
Fish $249.99
Inverts $103.00
Total $352.99

tthemadd1

I know there are a lot of hardcore SPS peeps here but I am going to stick with the softies.
Hammer
Zoos
Star polyps
Ricordias
Mushrooms
More Im sure just haven't put much thought Ito it as it will be a long time before I go to corals.