A forum to ask questions and provide feedback about the site.

spanko

I hate having to double click for new posts. There I said it and I'm not taking it back.
Henry (tired of stupid changes) Spanko

J

jstdv8

indeed, since the latest update my allready slow browser/computer now is unbearably slow. Makes posting anything at all a nigthmare

meowzer

I hate it too......I can't imagine how many times I clicked one time....walked off...and got nowhere cause I didn't DOUBLE CLICK

that and for some reason I can not copy and paste pics anymore :( I have to save them to my computer first

beth

Administrator
Staff member
If you copy the property link to the Image URL, you can't copy/paste a picture?

2quills

Ever since they changed it to where we have to double click to see new posts now it's all screwed up on my phone and it takes forever. I don't even bother checking in durring the day anymore because it's not worth it and I don't have that kind of time to wait for the drop down menu to load. I'm cool with just about all of the other changes...I just don't like this one.
I do really like the fact that we can see how many pages threads are again though as well as the (no subject) text when someone posts only a smiley. I hated having to click on the beggining of a thread to be able to access the last page.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///forum/thread/384405/a-forum-to-ask-questions-and-provide-feedback-about-the-site#post_3367128
If you copy the property link to the Image URL, you can't copy/paste a picture?
I use to just be able to right click on a pick....let's say off a web page....then control v to paste it.....
I don't want the whole page....for example, in one of my threads I posted a picture of a power bar.....That is allI wanted....if I used the link I would have posted the whole Lowes page

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Right click, choose properties, then copy the URL into the Incert Imge URL in the forum toolbar. All you get is this picture you want.

I can still just copy/paste the picture too.

meowzer

That worked.....Thanks
HMMMM...I was able to copy and paste this one.....I couldn't do it yesterday

monsinour

Its not working right as the Huddler people hate cats, LOL!
I dislike the double click for new posts but the new posts page is better. I like that I can go to my last post or to the most recent post that I havent seen. I agree with most who state that all the changes are annoying and agrivating when things dont work quite right. Its almost like this place was suckered into purchasing a product before it was 100% tested and had all the twinks worked out. Maybe they got a deal from Huddler on the message boards.
BTW, I dont like LOLCats but some of them are funny. Cats themselves are nice, when they act like dogs.

btldreef

The double click is very annoying, especially if you're not scrolled down enough on the page, then you can't click new posts. I've noticed that a lot in Mozilla.
I have found the new forum to be very slow to load, especially in Mozilla Firefox and IE8. In Chrome it's not as slow, but still slower than it used to be and in Safari it's about the same.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The ads I'm sure create load time lag, since its a lot more graphics to load. If you notice there is a blink with the ads section for a micro-second as its loads when you come to the site. Some ads are also flashing--more load on some pcs. Older pcs with less memory of smaller HDs may experience lag.
I don't see how phone view of this site can even be viewed with the ad space used.
If the new posts double click is a tad annoying (not for me) then I think its compensated by the extras in the drop down menu, especially for mods.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///forum/thread/384405/a-forum-to-ask-questions-and-provide-feedback-about-the-site#post_3367292
The ads I'm sure create load time lag, since its a lot more graphics to load. If you notice there is a blink with the ads section for a micro-second as its loads when you come to the site. Some ads are also flashing--more load on some pcs. Older pcs with less memory or smaller HDs
may experience lag.
That has nothing to do with load times. Internet connection speed is paramount. Second would be processor speed. Third would be memory speed and size. Finally would be HD speed, not size.
I don't see how phone view of this site can even be viewed with the ad space used.
If the new posts double click is a tad annoying (not for me) then I think its compensated by the extras in the drop down menu, especially for mods.
Well, if its soo better for mods, then maybe we should all be mods to get the added benefits for our 'one' drawback. LOL
I am going to try something with the google ads on my machine to see if I can alleviate some of the "problems" with the ads.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http://a-forum-to-ask-questions-and-provide-feedback-about-the-site#post_3367292
The ads I'm sure create load time lag, since its a lot more graphics to load. If you notice there is a blink with the ads section for a micro-second as its loads when you come to the site. Some ads are also flashing--more load on some pcs. Older pcs with less memory or smaller HDs
may experience lag.
That has nothing to do with load times. Internet connection speed is paramount. Second would be processor speed. Third would be memory speed and size. Finally would be HD speed, not size.
Monsinour:
Internet programs need computing power, memory, and, yes, disk space to run efficiently. Clicking on every webpage is downloaded into pc memory and then saved as temp. files on the hard drive. Yes, processor, memory, and HD speeds are up there with factors that relate to internet performance. And, of course, internet speed is paramount, but the other things I’ve mentioned certainly do have to do with load times. All of these factors, or even just one of these factors, can play a role with lag problems in the internet program.
Sorry I didn’t list out all the possibilities for internet lag, but this is a fish forum, not a computer forum.
In my view, altering a member’s quotes to negatively prove your point is rude and likely serves to just piss that person off.
You can say what you said without going into my quote, altering it, and driving home your point which was half wrong anyway.

2quills

Well, it doesn't seem to create much of a lag on my end as far as the adds are concerned. At home I have Vista and run I.E.-8 and it does just fine. Even on my phone the adds load pretty quick...it's just the drop down menu that seems to be the only thing that lags for me as far as the phone goes. Kinda hard to complain though since it's a free service for us. I'm just happy that the double quote issue seems to be cleared up as well as the dissapearing posts (knock on wood). All and all though the site seems to be running better than it has in a long time on my pc at home.
Edit: Just a sugguestion...maybe we could keep the drop down menu but just add another link for new posts without having to double click???

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Do you all know that there is a new post link at the very bottom home page that is one click?

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///forum/thread/384405/a-forum-to-ask-questions-and-provide-feedback-about-the-site#post_3367439
Do you all know that there is a new post link at the very bottom home page that is one click?
When I click on that one..I also get the drop down menu

EDIT: I just went FURTHER down to the VERY bottom of the page (like Beth said) LOL....NOT the bottom of the post page
and YES there is a new post that you can click on ONCE......I guess we just have to scroll down to do it

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///forum/thread/384405/a-forum-to-ask-questions-and-provide-feedback-about-the-site#post_3367354
Monsinour:
Internet programs need computing power, memory, and, yes, disk space to run efficiently. Clicking on every webpage is downloaded into pc memory and then saved as temp. files on the hard drive. Yes, processor, memory, and HD speeds are up there with factors that relate to internet performance. And, of course, internet speed is paramount, but the other things I’ve mentioned certainly do have to do with load times. All of these factors, or even just one of these factors, can play a role with lag problems in the internet program.
Sorry I didn’t list out all the possibilities for internet lag, but this is a fish forum, not a computer forum.
In my view, altering a member’s quotes to negatively prove your point is rude and likely serves to just piss that person off.
You can say what you said without going into my quote, altering it, and driving home your point which was half wrong anyway.
um, I am not wrong at all. Unless your machine is telling you that you have to run disk cleanup now (windoze users) the space on your HD does not matter in the slightest when loading pages. I have 7 PC certifications and fell I am more than qualified to state what is needed when loading a web page. Considering I designed the wife's grooming site, as well as taught the HTML class at a former job, I dont think I am wrong. I didnt alter your quote, I simply made it smaller to get just what I needed out of it. If I pissed you off, I guess I am sorry.

J

jstdv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///forum/thread/384405/a-forum-to-ask-questions-and-provide-feedback-about-the-site#post_3367439
I get a drop down menu on both of the "New posts" links on the bottom, they appear to work the exact same way as the one on the top right of the homepage. besides, scrolling all the way to the bottom of the page defeats the purpose of speed and ease of use.
Dang SWF.com posters never happy!