A forum to ask questions and provide feedback about the site.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The one that I'm referring to is on the very bottom of webpage left side. It goes directly to new posts for me.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/384405/a-forum-to-ask-questions-and-provide-feedback-about-the-site#post_3367344
I am going to try something with the google ads on my machine to see if I can alleviate some of the "problems" with the ads.
I finally got around to doing this and it is working beautifully. It takes far less time for pages to load now. I was getting irritated waiting for the flash add to finally play though the enire movie before the thread would load to the desired post. I now dont see a single add on any page in the forum. This cost me about a minute of my time and no real $.
Step one, click on tools
2. click on internet options
3. click on security tab
4. click on restricted sites
5. click on the sites button below the 'dont' sign
6. type in "*.googleadservices.com" without the quotes
7 click on add, close, and finally ok.
On the very next page load of anything on the boards, all of the adds should be gone. Enjoy the faster boards people.

monsinour

well, what is adblock? is it something you paid for? Adblock is probably a program that has a database of domains that are known for advertising. It probably has an update service too. It probably does what I just described how to do above.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/384405/a-forum-to-ask-questions-and-provide-feedback-about-the-site/20#post_3368402
well, what is adblock? is it something you paid for? Adblock is probably a program that has a database of domains that are known for advertising. It probably has an update service too. It probably does what I just described how to do above.
NO, it was free.....I just looked up adblock for IE....or adblock for firefox....and installed it
when the ads first started coming up, a few other people said to do that.....it has always worked for me

monsinour

My assumptions are mostly correct.
Its a plugin, not a program.
It has an online database for storing the domains that are known for advertising.
It blocks based on page load. So what does that mean? well, when you click a link, your browser sends the request to the server for the information (basically the HTML text that makes up this page). The plugin kicks in and starts scanning the incoming text for the specific 'offending' lines of text. When it sees these, it removes them thus preventing you from seeing the adds. It does add CPU cycles (barely noticable really) so it technically adds time to display the page. However, since the ads dont load, the total time to load the page is far less than before. Pros for this is that you dont have to worry about the advertisers getting new domains to show you new ads. Cons would be that when you start your browser for the first time, the plugin has to download the list of 'bad' domains in order to function 'correctly'. The method I describe is very similar. What I describe you have to update manually instead of having a list get updated for you. But, the list is public and a simple copy & paste (several times unfortuantly) will serve the same purpose. I simply prefer to not have "extra, unneeded" programs and plugins installed onto my computer. Think Norton Utilities here. Everyting that the norton utilities did, you could do yourself if you knew where to go and how to do it. The difference being, having the utilities installed ate memory, cpu cycles, and possibly bandwith due to updates.
If adblock is working for you, then keep using it. If you are a tweaker, then you know there are better options available to you.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/384405/a-forum-to-ask-questions-and-provide-feedback-about-the-site/20#post_3368399
I finally got around to doing this and it is working beautifully. It takes far less time for pages to load now. I was getting irritated waiting for the flash add to finally play though the enire movie before the thread would load to the desired post. I now dont see a single add on any page in the forum. This cost me about a minute of my time and no real $.
Step one, click on tools
2. click on internet options
3. click on security tab
4. click on restricted sites
5. click on the sites button below the 'dont' sign
6. type in "*.googleadservices.com" without the quotes
7 click on add, close, and finally ok.
On the very next page load of anything on the boards, all of the adds should be gone. Enjoy the faster boards people.
This got rid of looking at the ads for me....which is a real plus. But I still see the ad placeholders. Adblock actually makes the ads invisible and everything about them invisible. However, I've been having a big problem with using quick search, and after trying every thing I can think of, I've reset IE and basically went back to basics to see if I can resolve that problem.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///forum/thread/384405/a-forum-to-ask-questions-and-provide-feedback-about-the-site/20#post_3368500
This got rid of looking at the ads for me....which is a real plus. But I still see the ad placeholders. Adblock actually makes the ads invisible and everything about them invisible. However, I've been having a big problem with using quick search, and after trying every thing I can think of, I've reset IE and basically went back to basics to see if I can resolve that problem.
The banner ads at the top and bottom are programed into the tables that setup this page. Those blank spaces will be there. As far as what I see on the right hand side, I see place holders for featured sponsors, but no place holders for the flash ads or anything else.
Quick search, is that the search box at the top that isnt labeled? What problems are you having?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It's the quick search next to IE address bar. I've done everything, including turn off add-ons, and reset IE, among other things. Now I deleted java, and I'm testing to see if the problem is fixed or not. So far so good, but the problem is not always happening so time will tell.
Yes, just the featured sponsor placeholders show up. Adblock will remove those as well and make the site full page.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///forum/thread/384405/a-forum-to-ask-questions-and-provide-feedback-about-the-site/20#post_3368777
It's the quick search next to IE address bar. I've done everything, including turn off add-ons, and reset IE, among other things. Now I deleted java, and I'm testing to see if the problem is fixed or not. So far so good, but the problem is not always happening so time will tell.
Yes, just the featured sponsor placeholders show up. Adblock will remove those as well and make the site full page.
Oh that search box. That is the IE search "feature" that is controlled by your search provider. To see what it is and to change it:
click on tools
internet options
programs
manage add-ons
search providers
In here you can choose who you want to be the search provider. I only have google there and have removed all the M$ references.

meowzer

Just thought I would mention a couple of the things I AM HAPPY about
No more 4 minute wait between pm's
AND thank goodness we don't have to wiat 30 seconds between searches anymore

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I know how to choose the providers. The problem is that using the search box seems to be causing crashes in IE8....so I'm going through the process of discovering why that is happening.

monsinour

Instead of uninstalling all the add ons and what not, just disable everything but the search provider box stuff. If it still crashes, then IE8 is your problem. If not, enable one at a time. When you get the crash, you know the last thing you enabled is the problem. Personally, I dont use that search box, I just go to google.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I have done that, disabling the providers, disabling add-ons....still have the problem. I have gone through a myraid of things so far. Now I installed java (since SAT) and so far, so good but I am still testing it.