a mod request

deejeff442

seems there is alot of bad word and name calling here in the aquarium about politics lately.
maybe the mods need to weed out the people who come here to spew bad rhetoric ....the ones who dont own a fish tank or ever post on the fish forums.i would like to see if my fellow hobbyists here agree.i know there are thousands of forums for this pourpose .
but not here

darthtang aw

Most people pm mods these types of things.
Most of us here are friends and usually it is joking.
Most of us realize this is the aquarium for off topic non fish related discussions.
Most of us own tanks or knowledge about saltwater........we just are tired of answering the same questions over and over.
Most of the knowledge holders that once were regulars have left. Are you sure kicking out the rest that do hold knowledge.
Darth (can I borrow your soap box and tissue) Tang

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///t/387789/a-mod-request#post_3414773
seems there is alot of bad word and name calling here in the aquarium about politics lately.
I have not received a single complaint nor have any posts been flagged recently. If you find something objectionable and it violates the terms of membership then you're obligated to report it as a valuable part of the community.

darthtang aw

I have not received a single complaint nor have any posts been flagged recently.  If you find something objectionable and it violates the terms of membership then you're obligated to report it as a valuable part of the community.

Really?
Darth (trying harder just for Bang) Tang

bigarn

Sure it can get out of control here, but this is not a fish forum and not the place to go for answers for hobby questions. And although I think certain mods draw the line to quickly as far as locking threads, for the most part they do a good job. Bottom line is there's no need to"weed"anyone out.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarn http:///t/387789/a-mod-request#post_3414783
Sure it can get out of control here, but this is not a fish forum and not the place to go for answers for hobby questions. And although I think certain mods draw the line to quickly as far as locking threads, for the most part they do a good job. Bottom line is there's no need to"weed"anyone out.
I disagree, lets weed out the mods :)
Most of us are pretty good at self policing but I can see where some of the inside jokes could go over the head of someone who isn't a regular and doesn't know the relationships here.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
There were a couple of personal attack style political posts in a recent topic today that resulted in closing out a topic. Not reason enough to clean house, though.
We have a great group here and we don't want to loose anyone, but sometimes there may be a lapse when people forget that we are talking to human being and not just computer screens. Lets not go out of way to insult others intelligence or beliefs. Keep the back and forth civil.

deejeff442

alright .i have to admit i only did this to see what would happen.my bad...i dont have a problem with these people going at it .i was more curious how fast people would boil over and seems not very long.politics in the last 10 years has gotten people bent out of shape .

scott t

In my experience when ever it come to politics you will have a heated debate, and sometimes civility goes right out the window. This not only pertains to the average American Citizen, but just look at our government especially in an election year. Where they dig up all the dirt they can on each other, the names that they call each other. Its just the way it is, if we only remember that everyone no matter who they are have a right to their opinion and the right to state their opinion, America is still a free country is it not? We still all have the right to free speech still do we not? We just have to remember to be respectful to others and know that we are going to all vary on what we think. This is what makes humanity so intriguing and great because we all are different. IF we all thought a like, or believed the same, would it not be boring? I was at one time going to go into Politics, was even a Political Science Major in College, but then I sat down and really thought about it and decided that is not what I wanted to do in my life. Politics are Politics and just remember that you can chance the current Political Machine in 14 Months when the election comes. I think that Like the President, that congressman/congresswomen and senators should only be able to serve an 8 year term and then they should have to go out into the public sector and work. Also, they should like every American Citizen when they retire should have to Get Social Security and Medicare, why should they be any different than anyone else? They are still American Citizens are they not? Should they not have to depend on the same things Like Social Security and Medicare as all American do when they Retire? Like I said they should only be able to serve 8 years then out with the old and in with the New.....

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott T http:///t/387789/a-mod-request#post_3414798
In my experience when ever it come to politics you will have a heated debate,
WHICH is whay I tend to stay out of them,......altho I do pop in and read them to monitor them....I was out of town today and when I check the site on my phone I don't read all that stuff....LOL

snakeblitz33

Heck, the only politics that I get on a day to day basis is updates from some of the knuckleheads, Oh... sorry, I meant forum members, on this site. Without those debates, I would be lost.

mantisman51

Maybe we could get a section called The Shark Tank for rough and tumble politics. Or conversely The Refugium for those too timid for grown up political debate. I expect to be challenged when I give an opinion on anything. I love when someone who is my political opposite can spar and score points when we duke it out. I don't take anything personally that's said about me or my side here...well except for being called a hater or bigot-that bugs me but I'm not going to go tattle on someone for it. As has been said more time than I can recall, if you don't like heated politics, there is no rule you have to join a thread. I stay out of far more threads than I participate in because if I don't have an interest in it, I am not compelled to join in it.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott T http:///t/387789/a-mod-request#post_3414798
Its just the way it is, if we only remember that everyone no matter who they are have a right to their opinion and the right to state their opinion, America is still a free country is it not? We still all have the right to free speech still do we not?
I just want to point out that the First Ammendment protects your free speech from Government intervention. It does not protect your free speech from the Saltwaterfish.com moderators and we will delete anything that violates the terms you agreed to when you signed up.

reefraff

Heated debate is fine if everyone involved can handle it. Unfortunately that usually isn't the case, one person takes a cheap shot and the target shoots back and it's a food fight.
During the 08 elections we had some real winners. I wonder if the Obama campaign trolls will be back....

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisman51 http:///t/387789/a-mod-request#post_3414825
Maybe we could get a section called The Shark Tank for rough and tumble politics. Or conversely The Refugium for those too timid for grown up political debate. I expect to be challenged when I give an opinion on anything. I love when someone who is my political opposite can spar and score points when we duke it out. I don't take anything personally that's said about me or my side here...well except for being called a hater or bigot-that bugs me but I'm not going to go tattle on someone for it. As has been said more time than I can recall, if you don't like heated politics, there is no rule you have to join a thread. I stay out of far more threads than I participate in because if I don't have an interest in it, I am not compelled to join in it.
For some reason I like and dislike the idea..

snakeblitz33

Mantis - How about "The Quarantine" for all political threads? Quarantine it off from the rest of the site. lol! I like that idea.