A Poll For the New Hobbyists

geoj

I have been reading lots of replies to your posts and most don't seem to have any useful information.
Do any of you see this and if so how do you feel about the non answers?

geoj

Nope, I am referring to the redundant posts that some may see as clutter.
I do the same, were I pull info out of people with out them knowing where I am going, and some times it is I just need more info before I give my thoughts.
And I also will just say "Hi have not seen you around" or make some joke...

deejeff442

you mean like
my fish died
well what are your water readings?
all normal
what is normal?
what is your filtration set up?
a filter with an insert and round spinning thing on it.
how many fish can i put in a 90 gallon tank?
can i cycle a tank with 4 damsels?
is home depot sand ok?
my grouper ate my dwarf angel why?the lfs said it was ok .
hmmm thats all i got :eek:)
i am sure you have been here a while we get the same questions from new hobbiests .sometime people answer them and sometimes not.this forum has really changes alot in the last year.not for the better.i am glad there are still a handfull of good people on here .but nothing like it used to be.
i have been at this for 28 years and still ask alot of questions .some get answered but most dont.

hawkfish203

I do see a abundance of the the same questions. This may be why peoples questions aren't getting answered. I say if you've read about a similar problem or whatever they may be looking for just send them in the right direction. I also see some not so good advice so maybe some of that should be weeded out and deleted just my opinion. Not to say that there aren't people with some great info. I myself have learned some great things in the past year.

deejeff442

if you hang around a while you will see some bad advice.but usually someone more knowlagable chimes in.it used to get pretty ugly on here sometimes.but this forum has really shrunk.not because its bad but the economy has really took its toll on the hobby and people got out of it.
plus new people dont know eneough to search before they ask and then we get alot of the same questions.and of course we confuse them with the 100 ways a system can be set up.
its just like getting a new employee at a job nobody wants,at first you dont mind training them ,next they keep quiting.after a while you dont want to train anymore people.
same with the same newbee questions.

btldreef

This forum has been through a lot in the past year, but SWF really is doing their best to turn it in the right direction. Personally, I think the new forum along with all the information can be very overwhelming for new hobbyists. Questions from new hobbyists do go unread more often than they used to and the forum has become a smaller close knit group, with less people welcoming and helping newcomers.
I think all the seasoned hobbyists that stuck around on this forum through it all need to really embrace the new comers, but it's hard to do so sometimes. I'm not going to go in a delete peoples posts if they don't pertain to the thread unless it gets overbearing, but it would be nice if people kept chatter to PM's or The Aquarium and left the threads with the information at hand or if they answered the question and said hi.

deejeff442

yes but after a while they always seem to veer off.i am ok with that .especially since the op usually disappears.i remember when i would type a response and by the time i posted it there were 3 other already posting.those were the days.it will come back .once the economy turns and people have the extra cash to get into this great hobby.
i know i wish i had a forum like this when i started.but the internet was just starting back them

monsinour

all the new information is overwhelming. It is easier for a newb to just post their ?'s without searching because sometimes the search returns things that might not apply to them and to a newb, its not their exact setup so it might be different for them. I know i asked repeated questions when I was a newb, but i also thought that the things I found searching also didnt apply to me because i had a different setup.
Out of all the forums I participate on, this is the only one where I really dont recomend a new person to search for an answer and then go with what they find before posting their own questions. This hobby is sooo not cut and dry straight forward. there are unique circumstances that apply to all sorts of setups and configurations and fish compatability types. Take my brittle star experience. In all the searching I did, no where did I find that specific ones ate things. Everything I read said that they were good members of the CUC. Well, we all know now that some yellow ones can be bad.

acrylic51

I always find myself coming back to this forum after all these years for the simple fact it's more friendly oriented place. I can go across the street and get all kinds of tech info, but here is where I received the basics from some of the best old timers that aren't around anymore....Go across the street and you'll get the answers I hate.....Do a search.....I hate that....Ask your question, regardless if the question has been asked 1000s of times....Maybe someone missed something, or just off a bit. The more heads you get looking at things the better. I do get upset, when I see zillions of looks, but no responses....Come on people open your mouth...This is a friendly place, and everyone is general looking for feedback and ideas....Even if your not right or close it's still a learning experience for everyone.
Myself personally and a few others around here have shown, that we truly honestly care about our fellow hobbyist, and want this to be a more tight knit community......Heck the past couple months I've gotten to know quite a few people by first name.....all in the spirit of being more personal.

al&burke

I can see who some of the more experienced reefers here get frustrated with us newbies, and for many of them perhaps it was a long time since they started this hobby. We all have a common interest in fish, corals, animals (animals of all kind fin, fur, feathered, scaled) I think this is what brings us together and makes it such a great group of different people. Everyone gets frustrated from time to time, we just have to take a step back and say why are we really here. I know when I wake up the first thing I do is check on the tanks - lights are on everything is good hey that looks beautiful, this needs to be done today. If I can help someone out today so they can appreciate this hobby like I do then that is all that matters to me, family and friends. Lets keep this wonderful forum going, everybody has choices in life, me for one choose SWF.COM.

flower

Well I did a search on red legged hermits..I don't know what I would have done without Meowzer pointing out the A not the O in the very complicated Latin name. The difference was small but important. If we were not bantering back and forth it may not have been noticed. I didn't post before because I'm not really a NEW hobbyist.
However truth be told, I may know some things, but I still don't know allot of things.. So many things about saltwater critters are very NEW to me. I love this site.

gill again68

Here is the nice thing about this forum. You get answers mostly from people who don't "always" have the answer. The other big site always had an "expert" ready to tell you what exactly you needed to do. I don't know about you but an answer with a "this is what I did" or "read this and try that" are so much more welcome than a blistering this is what you did wrong and this is why! As mentioned this hobby is complex and 2 tanks side by side can be as different as we are. This is more like a big family with crazy aunts and uncles, some you wish the new boyfriend or girlfriend wouldn't get to meet until after the marriage. You have to get to know people here so "you get them". The fact that some left due to the changes of the format of the forum shows some weakness in those individuals that probably would come out the next stupid question that I ask. JMHO!
I for one try to answer the questions that I know the answers to and not make a guess. But that limits me and my ability to engage to many new comers. If anyone post on my thread, I hope a smart ass answer is in there somewhere or your gonna make me worry. Yeah we dont need all caps and blabber but the color commentary is always what makes me read on.
Love your neighbor like you love yourself.

P.S. I still call them ZOOS!