A Puffed Up Puffah

partsman40

puffers puff, triggers trig. had them for years. most puffers puff themselves up daily to wedge themselves between rocks to rest. Last week one night, I woke up past midnight and looked at my tank and saw my porcupine floating around about 4 sizes bigger that normal, looking like a softball. I thought he was about to explode. A second later he returned to normal and never missed a beat.

puffer32

I had a weird experience with a porcupine yurs ago. I was trying to catch another fish in a net, and my pork decided to go in the net instead. He got hung up on the netting, got stressed and puffed up. He got bigger then the wire around the the netting, there was no way to get him out of it! I finally got a pair of scissors and cut out the bottom of the net, as he plopped out he hit a rock and bounced off it and onto the floor,then rolled across the kitchen floor :scared: My whole family was sitting at the kitchen table and were laughing like crazy
Not me, I was
I did manage to scoop him up and he lived afew yrs till he got ich.

diane4

Had to comment on this thread.
I don't think it's neat when a puffer pufs. To me, it doesn't look cute or cool. It looks like horror to me, a freaked out fish.
Thank you to the friend that advised that I edit my post, as my original words might have caused a raz on the thread.
I don't like when people glorify the situation when puffers puff out. To me, if my fish sucks in air, to me, I would feel like a failure, I didn't handle him right and scared the hell out of him.
I have a dog face puffer and will be getting a GF puffer.

lion_crazz

Diane, be careful with what you say. You may want to edit your post so another argument does not begin. I felt the same as you and when I chimed in my opinion, I got flamed for it because I was a "bleeding heart" "pissing on his parade".
Jonny_bolt is convinced in his ways that it is funny, so just let him be. Even a moderator on this site (Squidd) told him "Yours has definitely sucked some air...That is NOT a good thing no matter how you justify it.." and he continued to believe the incident (the "snipering" as he put it) was funny.
It is his fish and his tank, so in the end, he can do whatever he wants with the fish. Like he said, if it dies, it dies. It is not the end of the world to him..

jonny bolt

Originally Posted by oreo12
Man You sound like one sick dud. Do you put cats in a micro. just for kicks too. O never mind you are in Hampton, NH That explanes it all.
HAHAHAHA. Uh-oh, personal attacks. The only people who resort to personal attacks are people who cannot deal with, argue against, and/or accept reality.
You're in "southern indiana". Come to New England actin' like that.
you wont make it past Washington Ave. you're obviously too far from the ocean to understand....
Again, personal opinions aside (and we all know opinions are like A-holes....), my Puffer is fine. And thanks me everyday that I feed him that I helped him

flpriest

If it puffs up only water no harm. But why He would give it a fresh water dip I can't understand. I just can't understand why. It won't cure anything. I wish the mods would del. post lick these. Kick ich it works. No stress no mess.
I'm fairly new to SWF, but I read somewhere (in a book that I can't remember the name of, sorry) that you give a SWF a fresh water dip because the fish can handle the lack of salinity SP? but the parasites can't, and they die off. If I remeber right, the book suggested doing this before you put a newly aquired SWF into your acclimation tank. BTW I thought the pics were cool looking. I've never seen a puffer puffed! I don't necessarliy think it was cool that the puffer was stressed out, but what else could the guy do? He was trying to treat his fish in his best interest, right?

maxalmon

How odd that a fellow reefer was taking a proactive stance to take care of an ich problem and then all you guys who have nothing better to do but flame the guy, how about a
for they guy for taking action, so what if he found it funny. People yelling PETA, for gods sake the guys trying to keep something alive and healthy (sure PETA would hate that), find something else to rank about

shrmnator

Man You sound like one sick dud. Do you put cats in a micro. just for kicks too. O never mind you are in Hampton, NH That explanes it all.
putting a cat in the micro is the fastest way to dry them!!! just like socks!

P

phishface

Originally Posted by puffer32
I had a weird experience with a porcupine yurs ago. I was trying to catch another fish in a net, and my pork decided to go in the net instead. He got hung up on the netting, got stressed and puffed up. He got bigger then the wire around the the netting, there was no way to get him out of it! I finally got a pair of scissors and cut out the bottom of the net, as he plopped out he hit a rock and bounced off it and onto the floor,then rolled across the kitchen floor :scared: My whole family was sitting at the kitchen table and were laughing like crazy
Not me, I was
I did manage to scoop him up and he lived afew yrs till he got ich.

lmao, sounds like the old "meatball" song!! ......and on to the floor, and then my poor meatball rolled right the door...........

aw2eod

You're a horrible, horrible person! You gotta...I mean...you dont...I mean...cats!...blah blah...

I had a 10" Porc that used to puff up every time I walked into the room. Now, either he was happy to see me and knew I'd give him food or I'm so ugly that it freaked him out.
As others have said...they dont ONLY puff when stressed.

lion_crazz

The puffing part was not the original issue that I or a couple of other people had. Yes, puffers do puff up. This is a natural mechanism, you're right. I have seen many puffers puff up. However, puffers do not float upside down when they puff unless they have sucked in air usually. This was the issue, because this could be deadly to puffers.

diane4

I agree Lion_Crazz,
Gee, just imagine if I had left my original post as it was. I toned my post way down. Where did I have any personal attacks? Not.
If you move a puffer fish using a plastic container to captue them with, instead of a net so they are neve outside of the water, they won't fill with air.
And if my puffer blew up like that, I wouldn't take pictures of him like that. Poor little guy.
Jonny Bolt - I am not criticizing you for taking care of your fish. I think it's great. I too, once had to do a hyposalinity treatment and use a freshwater bath at one time. No one is saying your a bad fish daddy.
I was just not happy to see a picture of an air blown up puffer, and someone thinking it's "neat" looking.
Jonny Bolt - I also don't know how or where you get the idea that I am from Indiana. Not.... Too far from the ocean....wrong again, I have some of the best NJ beaches within an hour from me.
Glad your little guy is doing better.

stimpy4242

Hey, back to the original post...thats cool...and deep down inside i know everyone who buys a puffer does it cause they want to see it puff...why else...is sooo cool! Its amazing how much time people have to be negative. It is AMAZING. How else would you treat Ich? Oh well, anyone else have puffed up puffers? I want to see.

jonny bolt

Diane, I wasnt referring to your location. I was referring to "oreos". Obviously you didnt read the whole thread, you just glanced over it and decided to throw out your opinions on what you didnt like and what your "not happy with".
I'm sorry that you dont "approve" of me documenting the puffing up of my puffer. But, you must realize, that I could care less about your opinion. Because, in all honesty and reality, what you think does not matter to me, and what you believe to be "right", is not the end all and be all for the rest of us. If you didnt like it so much, then why did bother staying in the thread? Oh, I know why, because like alot of others, you just CANT resist stopping and taking time out of your life to toot your own horn and throw in your 2 cents. Opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
For the less emotional people, and those who are actually worried about the health of the Puffer, and not the picture that was taken, he is doing great and is as lively as ever. He is a good, healthy Valentini, and it co-exists with a large Hermit crab, large Turbo snail, and a large Coral Banded Shrimp.
If you "dont like it", or, "arent happy with it", when a puffer puffs up, then dont click the link to a thread that says "A Puffed Up Puffah". LOL. Some people remind of those who dont like Howard Stern, they continually whine and yelp about Stern, but they dont have to listen to it. Just dont listen to it if you dont like it LMAO. But some people just cant resist the urge to offer their thoughts and opinions. They just have to get on their high horse and their soap box, and try to make everyone hear them. SHUT UP!!! Just....shut....up!

ryanhayes9

Originally Posted by diane4
I agree Lion_Crazz,
Gee, just imagine if I had left my original post as it was. I toned my post way down. Where did I have any personal attacks? Not.
If you move a puffer fish using a plastic container to captue them with, instead of a net so they are neve outside of the water, they won't fill with air.
And if my puffer blew up like that, I wouldn't take pictures of him like that. Poor little guy.
Jonny Bolt - I am not criticizing you for taking care of your fish. I think it's great. I too, once had to do a hyposalinity treatment and use a freshwater bath at one time. No one is saying your a bad fish daddy.
I was just not happy to see a picture of an air blown up puffer, and someone thinking it's "neat" looking.
Jonny Bolt - I also don't know how or where you get the idea that I am from Indiana. Not.... Too far from the ocean....wrong again, I have some of the best NJ beaches within an hour from me.
Glad your little guy is doing better.

you guys need to calm down.
:mad: he had to do it to save the fishes life. im sure you would be bashing him if he didint do the freshwater dip also. The bottom line is that the fish is stiil alive and healthy. he saved its life and those were some cool pics. always wondered what they look like puffed.

ryanhayes9

Originally Posted by Jonny Bolt
Diane, I wasnt referring to your location. I was referring to "oreos". Obviously you didnt read the whole thread, you just glanced over it and decided to throw out your opinions on what you didnt like and what your "not happy with".
I'm sorry that you dont "approve" of me documenting the puffing up of my puffer. But, you must realize, that I could care less about your opinion. Because, in all honesty and reality, what you think does not matter to me, and what you believe to be "right", is not the end all and be all for the rest of us. If you didnt like it so much, then why did bother staying in the thread? Oh, I know why, because like alot of others, you just CANT resist stopping and taking time out of your life to toot your own horn and throw in your 2 cents. Opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
For the less emotional people, and those who are actually worried about the health of the Puffer, and not the picture that was taken, he is doing great and is as lively as ever. He is a good, healthy Valentini, and it co-exists with a large Hermit crab, large Turbo snail, and a large Coral Banded Shrimp.
If you "dont like it", or, "arent happy with it", when a puffer puffs up, then dont click the link to a thread that says "A Puffed Up Puffah". LOL. Some people remind of those who dont like Howard Stern, they continually whine and yelp about Stern, but they dont have to listen to it. Just dont listen to it if you dont like it LMAO. But some people just cant resist the urge to offer their thoughts and opinions. They just have to get on their high horse and their soap box, and try to make everyone hear them. SHUT UP!!! Just....shut....up!
agree 100%

diane4

On the contrary, look who is on a high horse.
It is a free country in the good ol USA and we have freedom of speach here.
I read a lot of threads on this forum. And if you weren't so high on your high horse of ego, you would have read that I had good things to say to you too.
No, I don't think it is neat when they puff up because I know it is a stress reaction.
And I won't shut-up. No more than you are.
Your a sick-O for glorifying the poor little guy - seeing how neat it is that he is all blown up after he sucked in air.
if you ego gets any higher, you will get a nose bleed. Come down off the sadle before the horse throws you.
As for the others jumping to his defense that he was saving his little fishes life, thats the great part, but he had to show a picture of his freaked out fish inflated with air, and gloat about it that it's neat.
I have had a dog face puffer fish for over a year now, went though moving him to a freshwater bath, hyposalinity and I have NEVER made him puf up. Handled with care so they are not out of water to inhail air. He only puffed once, slighlty when a shadow spooked him. But not because of something I did.
Relax folks, no one is flaming him because he treated his fish, we are flaming him for glorifying the puffing up and taking pictures of it. I look at the picture and I do not think, oh how neat, I say, poor little guy is freaked out and ingest air. Glad to see he lived through it....
Chill out.

ryanhayes9

Originally Posted by diane4
On the contrary, look who is on a high horse.
It is a free country in the good ol USA and we have freedom of speach here.
I read a lot of threads on this forum. And if you weren't so high on your high horse of ego, you would have read that I had good things to say to you too.
No, I don't think it is neat when they puff up because I know it is a stress reaction.
And I won't shut-up. No more than you are.
Your a sick-O for glorifying the poor little guy - seeing how neat it is that he is all blown up after he sucked in air.
if you ego gets any higher, you will get a nose bleed. Come down off the sadle before the horse throws you.

no one wants your opinion. why dont you just go back to the jersey slums and SHUT UP!

diane4

How dare you. Jersey slums, what toilet do you live in?
NJ is great, and if it were such slums, why is it the most densly populated state in the USA.
Your an idiot. So sorry you can't afford NJ.