About UV sterilizer's

bw256s_srt4

Well my buddy just gave me a UV sterilizer. I think it is a turbo twist(just googled the image and thats what it looks like). Just wondering how they work and what they are good for?

Thank

thats a good uv just get a new bulb and a maxi jet power head i think a 600 will work. that is a good tool have in your system. it stays on 24/7 and change bulb every ten months

meowzer

I almost had a uv sterilizer...LOL....I bought one, brought it home, got on this site...and after reading all about it, I took it back.

I have read that it also will kill your good bacteria along with the bad, so I decided I didn't want to chance it

I had a turbo twist when I first got in the hobby.....took it off and noticed nothing. If you do set it up be careful they are known to leak. But as said before they will also kill good stuff. And if you have the flow going through to fast they will kill nothing. People debate about them all the time but I think most people agree money is best spent else where. Some people use them on quarantine tanks to help kill parasites but it won't kill them all and be an end all to parasites or ich or anything.

pirates

yes i use my for quarantine tank but you do not need all the time just when you have a sick fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefaholic33 http:///forum/thread/379750/about-uv-sterilizer-s#post_3301803
But as said before they will also kill good stuff. And if you have the flow going through to fast they will kill nothing. i agree money is best spent else where. Some people use them on quarantine tanks to help kill parasites

bw256s_srt4

Well I got it for free when i bought my tank from my friend. Just been sitting there for the past 2 months. Thought i would ask to questions about it.

acrylic51

UV's have there place and purpose in the hobby. A new unit with improper flow is worthless, just as an old bulb with proper flow. The units need to maintained properly.... The quartz sleeves need to be cleaned as well for effectiveness. I prefer a unit with a wiper for this cleaning ease. You have to feed the UV with prope flow rate, because either to fast or slow you change it's effectiveness.
Yes the do kill good and bad as pointed out...it doesn't discriminate. The good vs. The bad that it kills is a pointless reason to say they are bad. That arguement is mundane!!!!! For the UV to be effective the organisms must be free floating as well.

levinjac

I got a UV because I had a Major algey bloom and after i put it on the shock of all the algey disappearing killed 2 of my fish but atleast 1 survived

levinjac

what that the fish died If so I know I did a water change after checked the water and it was perfect but this was 2 years ago

levinjac

its the only thing possible I put it in bam 1 hour later the clowns dead and the flame is on top gasping for air then 4 hours later the flame angle kicked the bucket

meowzer

The algae died within 1 hour.....MAN I NEED ONE OF THEM....LOL

must have had a toxin on it.....I can not imagine the fish dieing like that...or the algae for that matter

levinjac

and the algey didnt exactly die it was still on the rocks but all the stuff around the water was gone and in 2 weeks there still was no algey at all