accidentally over raised salinity

James7733

:oops: Does anyone know if my two green bubble tips will become to stressed due to my having accidentally raising my salinity from 1.25 to 1.30. I did this mishap just before leaving for work and can't lower it for close to nine hours. I have one large long tenticle which bubbles up rather niceley and a medium short tenticle that off and on bubbles up but is still in the process of acclimating itself to the two 165 w led lights and the 216 w T5 lights. They are both doing fantastic and now I goofed up the salinity. I intend to make some fresh ro/di water the second I get home to lower the salinity but this water will wind up more RO than DI as I will need to speed up the amount of water produced per minute in order to do the water change quickly. My concern is am I going to get home and see them splitting or looking like they are dying because of my goof up. Any thoughts?

bang guy

The DI process is really fast, no reason to not wait of the water to be pure.

They will most likely be unaffected by a raised Salinity. The danger would be if you lowered it rapidly now. Any Urchins or Starfish would not be feeling well about now but an Anemone can adapt almost instantly to a raised Salinity.

How much water is in your system and what's the evaporation rate?

James7733

System is 55 main 20 sump and 14 HOB refugium. My evap rate is about three gallons every three or four days. I accidently used wrong bucket this time around. That's what I get for not marking them. I ment to add top off water not the mixed. When I lower the salinity I will use the sump and turn it off and on many times so that only a small amount of the lowered salinity water enters the main tank in small volumes until desired level is achieved. Thanks for your reply.

bang guy

Once a day remove 1/2 gallon of water from the tank and add (just pour it in slowly) 1/2 gallon of your di water into the Sump. That will lower your salinity to the right level in 5 - 7 days (had to guesstimate how much water is actually in your system).