Acclimated my new blenny, now.....

milomlo

They are so cute. I have to say I think Blennies are becoming my favorite. I know when I first started looking at fish the LMB caught my eye. I didn't know what it was I just thought it was so cool how it looked like it walked on the sand.
I really hope my blenny is ok and enjoys his new home. I am tempted to go ahead and put him in the main tank. Do you guys think that if I wait and then move him it will shock him more? I was gonna wait 2 weeks. However, since he doesn't seem happy I was thinking of moving him to the main tank now. Suggestions?

battosai

Yes, milomlo I did add the blenny straight into my tank. Blennies are hardy and my tank is healthy. Don't worry though it took my Blenny a couple of days to eat. Here's a pic of my Blennies and Gobies hanging out.

bcollie

Battosai, I didn't think more than one species of blennies could co-habitate a tank, but yours appear to look ok. How long have you had them together? Any problems at all?
I like the bi-color blennies and would love to add one but I have the one spot.

milomlo

Originally Posted by wax32
Do you have any other fish in there already?
I have 2 clowns that are doing great. I have 1 p.shrimp, several hermits, several N.snails, and about 5 turbos.
All the above are eating GREAT. The shrimp i bought at the same time as the blenny and he is great. I thought Shrimp were very picky about changing tanks and such. He stated eating as soon as I fed him. :jumping:
This morining the blenny is still hid and I tried to feed him again last night with NO RESPONSE AT ALL. He doesn't even act like it smells good.
I just wish he would at least swim a bit. That in itself would make me feel better.

Should I leave him in the QT or just go ahead and put him in the main tank. Heck where he is I can't monitor him... He is hid
You guys are the experts so you tell me. I am completely lost. When I bought my clowns they were active from the get go. Even in the little bag on the way home they were chasing each other and very playful and have been ever since.

bcollie

My one spot went directly into my tank...after an acclimation period. He/she arrived on 11/29/05 and it took the one spot until the 12/5 or 12/6 to finally leave the corner of the tank he has occupied since I first put him/her into the tank. He has been quite mobile ever since. I think adding your one spot to your main tank will help him/her to adjust quicker.

milomlo

ok I did it. Now he has moved a couple times to two different positions in the tank. BUT he has some white spots on him. I SO HOPE THIS IS NOT ICK.
These pictures are the best I can get. I will try again. I do not know how you all take such good pictures. If I zoom in to much it is so blurry. If I do not zoom in you can't really see it.

Here are 3 pictures. I hope you can see. Now the spots don't really look like they are on the skin, just looks like they are under the skin...

danedodger

I'm sorry but I can't see any spots in those pics. Can you describe them or compare what you see with pictures of ich on the net? Do the spots look like tiny grains of salt or sugar? I'd hate for something bad to happen, you've been such a trooper researching and trying so hard to do everything right! The sad fact is that no matter how careful and caring we are there's going to be some sort of problem eventually though. All we can do is our best.
Normally with ich I'd say get him right back into that QT tank before the nasty buggies come off of him and settle in your main tank to multiply but on the other hand it sounds like he's already so stressed that moving him again may do him in
Wait for more opinions but personally I'd have to weigh the risk to him vs. the risk to my other fish and future fish then take the chance on moving him.

bcollie

If by 'white spots' you mean those blurry spots on the top of its head, that is just part of its coloration. The spots look more blueish-gray to me. I understand your worry tho'...I worried about my one sport blenny too.

milomlo

Ok here are some more pictures. I hope they are a little clearer at least.
Yes those spots look like they could be related to his coloring, but I don't know if that is a bad sign :notsure:
Hopefully some of your "experts" out there can help.
Dane - I did look at the ich pictures. They do not look like sand or suger at all. Doesn't look like it is on the outside of the skin. Looks like the inside - maybe pigment related???
Sorta looks like the brooklynella - but I can't really tell as I am not sure what I am looking at.

Any ideas?
duh I guess adding the pics would help

danedodger

I still can't really see spots but with your description saying the spots aren't like salt specks but more like a pigment beneath the skin, bcollie's word having experience with this particular fish that these may be a natural coloration, and scanning a few articles on brooklynella I'd say take a deep breath and relax some. You might just be being an overanxious parent

It sounds like brooklynella is more of a risk in wild caught anemonefish type specimins plus you'd probably be starting to see some overall fading out or whitish-greyish areas spreading out from the spots not to mention that the spots would begin to look more like frayed ulcerations of some kind.

milomlo

Dane- You can not see those spots on it's head? There are about 4 from the tip of his head going down his back some. I will try to get a better picture on here for you.
Ok here they are.

danedodger

The very light bluish to greyish spots? Oooohhhh I did think those were a natural coloration and so was looking for the spots that could possibly be a problem!
See what others have to say but I'd bet from what we've all talked about so far here that those are normal and nothing to worry about.

J

jdragunas

those spots look like it's natural coloration to me.
Take it from me, don't worry about it, or you'll be up to your ears in grief! Relax a little. You just uprooted this guy from his home, shipped him in a black bag, and threw him into a place he doesn't know. he's going to be skiddish for a while. I have 2 LMB's and they both acted the exact same way, so take a deep breath! I'm sure blennies are bottom-dwellers (at least LMB's are), so sitting on the bottom of the tank is completely normal. Mine like to "sit" on anything they can, including LR, the glass side of the tank, and the sushi clip i have in the tank.

danedodger

Yep, in that last pic they look very symetrical to me, like a center spot with a slightly elongated spot to each side of it at the same angle. I don't know of any illness spots that do that. They're usually more random.

milomlo

ok. I will try and relax. I hope the little guy is ok. I just fell in love with the picture of him and ordered. Hopefully I can find something he will eat soon.
Thank you for making me feel better. I will keep you all posted. :)

J

jdragunas

i feed my LMB's marine cuisine and they love it.
When you introduce new fish, you should give them a week or so of not eating before you start worrying. Most fish won't eat when they've been newly introduced to a tank. He'll start eating soon enough, he's just freaking out right now because he's recently been shipped who knows how far and thrown into a new place...
hey, MILO! i didn't know it was you... lol!

milomlo

Originally Posted by jdragunas
hey, MILO! i didn't know it was you... lol!

Yeap it is me.

Seems I am here all the time. :hilarious
All of you are the best!! Thank you so much.

danedodger

Awww we understand what it's like to be anxious over a prized new baby

If he's not eating just because he's still stressy and needs to adjust the best thing you can probably do is as little as possible so he'll calm down sooner! You might also consider leaving your lights off some extra time to help him calm down.
The best way to get a fish to eat in my experience, and others may not agree with this, is to overfeed with as large a variety of foods possible giving one food each of many feedings throughout the day. That means more work for you to scoop out or siphon up any uneaten food often throughout the day too and keeping a very careful watch on your water parameters to make sure the excess isn't causing problems but I think it's worth it to save one of my fishy babies :joy: Like even though brine shrimp are probably the worst nutritionally speaking you can always beef them up a bit with soaking in garlic and vitamins, most fish seem to consider them a real treat, and even going so far as to get live ones may initiate a feeding response that you can build upon. Once you hit on something that works try adding other things mixed in with whatever he'll eat to see if you can train him over to accepting other foods.
I'm sure he'll be fine once he adjusts. I'll keep my fingers crossed for him!