Acros 20gal Long

acroshark

Thought I would start a thread for my 20gal long reef setup! The tank has been setup for just over 6 weeks now and things have gone smoothly so far except I am still fighting murky/green water and some algae problems! I have started running carbon in a HOB filter to try clear the water, also i have been using tap water for top-ups etc which i think is also not helping things so im rather gonna start using the RO/DI from the despenser at the local store! WELL HERE IS MY TANK!
Specs:
20gal long DT
AquaClear20 HOB filter(sponge, 2 bags of carbon)
2x Koralia nanos
30lbs LR
Nova Extreme 36"(156watt) light fixture[2x 10k, 2x actinics]
15gal sump
20lbs LR
2 bags of chemi-pure
Rio1100 return
Current USA skimmer(rated up to 110gal)
Livestock:
- Clean up crew(15-20 hermits,snails and 2 cleaner clams)
- No fish yet
- various zoa frags
- red mushroom
- green florida rics
- toadstool frag
- gsp frags
- xenia
- pink star polyps
- red acan frag(4 heads)
- kenya tree frag
- pink tip haitin nem(i know its kinda early)
Im also dosing with seachem reef packs(fundamentals, enhancer) as well as doing 20% weekly water changes! Here are some pics..

acroshark

zoas and red acan

zoas and red mushroom

hermit

FTS

Sorry about the murky pics but my water is an off colour atm! working on trying to get it clear! Any thoughts, ideas and comments on my setup will be appreciated!
Thanks

flboyinohio

I have a 20gLong also, I was wondering, does it bother you that the lights are 3 inchs longer on each side then the tank? I was looking at the same fixture you have but I thought it might really annoy me

A

alexa11

i like the lines of the tank! ill be interested to see how fast your frags grow!

acroshark

Originally Posted by FLBOYINOHIO
http:///forum/post/2548143
I have a 20gLong also, I was wondering, does it bother you that the lights are 3 inchs longer on each side then the tank? I was looking at the same fixture you have but I thought it might really annoy me
the length doesnt bother that much as the fixture is only an inch or 2inches at the most longer than the tank!
Originally Posted by alexa11
http:///forum/post/2548238
i like the lines of the tank! ill be interested to see how fast your frags grow!
im interested too! hope they grow nice and fast!
Originally Posted by Fishy4991

http:///forum/post/2548243
what is GSP? How long is your tank?
GSP= green star polyps, PSP= pink star polyps! the tank is 3ft long! not sure what that is in inches..im guessing around 35inches!
How many fish and what fish do you guys suggest I should stock the tank with! Im thinking...
1x Maroon Clown
2x Bangaii Cardinals
1x Coral Beauty Angel
1x Yellow Watchman Goby + Caribbean Pistol Shrimp
any other ideas thoughts?

peef

Looks good. If you want your water to clear up a bit I would either get a HOB overflow into a sump to filter the water better or get another HOB filter like you have to put on the other side.
I like you fish selection but give the angel some thought as it can eat some corals. Great start though!

acroshark

Originally Posted by peef
http:///forum/post/2548406
If you want your water to clear up a bit I would either get a HOB overflow into a sump to filter the water better or get another HOB filter like you have to put on the other side.
the tank is drilled and has a sump! i have 20lbs of LR in there with 2 bags of chemi-pure! the HOB has helped..the water is much clearer today but il see how it goes! no harm in adding another one! i also thought about the angel but i like them so much..i might just take the risk!
Originally Posted by PBLRDom

http:///forum/post/2548417
3ft....
12"=1ft
3ft x 12"/ft = 36"
happy to be of service.

LOL thanks!

acroshark

ok here is the deal... do I realised that I am having alot of evaporation out of my tank which im scared is going to lead to instabillity of my salinity! so instead of spending $90 on an auto top-up system I saw a nice DIY setup I wanna try replicate!
Im going to add a basic ball float valve to my sump which will be connected to a small pump in a 5gal tank I have lying around! the pump will then be linked to a timer which will be programed to come on for 2 30min periods daily! that way i wont have the pump running all the time which will prevent premature failure!

what you think? will it work?

acroshark

ok so i have decided to hold back on the auto top-off for now but will be installing it at a later stage! got my first fish today! bought a pair of false perc clowns! however now they are fighting with each other? is this just a phase, will they eventually be friends? i also got 3 new frags of zoa! will post pics tomorow with a fts!
any help with the clown issue will be appreciated!
thanks

flboyinohio

that might just be a phase to be honest with you. Clowns can be very territorial IMO. I had a false perc for about 3 months and then one day out of the blue he started to attack my LION!!! have you thought about maybe getting a small carpet anemone? your clowns should host it and this may take some of the tension out. But dont take my word for it alone

acroshark

today the one clown has been been very withdrawn! hiding behind a rock or hanging out by the outlet to the sump! he is breathing pretty fast! but it doesnt seem the other clown is bullying him as it swims up and kinda nurses the other one! any idea what is wrong? here are some pics of my new stuff! could somebody please ID the zoas as I have no idea what they are!
thank you
sick clown

sick clown again

healthy clown

healthy clown again

zoas 1

zoas 2

zoas 3

sick clown again