ACRYLIC51//REQUIEM so i think i just scored on a 6000gallon

krj-1168

Wow- a 6,000 gallon tank, very cool.

a pair of blacktip reefs would eventually either be very cramped or out grow it completely.
A better requiem shark option - SHARPIES!!
The Atlantic Sharpnose maxs out at 4' in length, averages about 3-3.5' in length. And you could keep up to 3 sharpies in a tank that size for their entire life span.
But Sharpies don't do well in a reef type setting. They need very little to no live rock or coral, in their tank. And their prefer natural enviroment is sandy coastal flats, & tidal estuaries.
Also for $ 1,200 you could get 3 sharpies, during the spring & summer months.

S

supermanvx

Originally Posted by krj-1168
Wow- a 6,000 gallon tank, very cool.

a pair of blacktip reefs would eventually either be very cramped or out grow it completely.
A better requiem shark option - SHARPIES!!
The Atlantic Sharpnose maxs out at 4' in length, averages about 3-3.5' in length. And you could keep up to 3 sharpies in a tank that size for their entire life span.
But Sharpies don't do well in a reef type setting. They need very little to no live rock or coral, in their tank. And their prefer natural enviroment is sandy coastal flats, & tidal estuaries.
Also for $ 1,200 you could get 3 sharpies, during the spring & summer months.

nice ill keep that in mind...i wanna snorkel with them... haha

S

supermanvx

well by the way i like sharpies...the reason why i was going to go with reef tips is so i can have some rock on the bottom so i can have other fish...i dont want it JUST 2 sharks you kno?

reefiness

are you sure you are going to even need to have a chiller?? because i would say what ever the temp the house is kept that is going to be the temp of the tank the whole day with mabye like a .2 degrees sway. but i say this because last time i checked 6000 gallons of water doesnt really fluctuate much with cuple lights above it.

S

supermanvx

Originally Posted by reefiness
are you sure you are going to even need to have a chiller?? because i would say what ever the temp the house is kept that is going to be the temp of the tank the whole day with mabye like a .2 degrees sway. but i say this because last time i checked 6000 gallons of water doesnt really fluctuate much with cuple lights above it.
i thought about that...but i rather buy a $2000 chiller, than having $3000 worth of fish die...then rebuyin them with a chiller...not sure man...i would have to talk to a public aquarium, which most likely has a chiller...but this tank is also going to be in my garage which during the summer months will get hot.... or in the dinning room (but would cover french doors (which would be a good idea if i ever need to get behind the tank for some reason)...not exactly sure what im going to do with it, i get it tomorrow.

S

supermanvx

im guessing atleast 6, but it doesnt matter, like i said, i rather lose 2000bucks on a chiller that will last...than spend 3000 on fish and die from warm water and then replace the fish 3000+2000 = 8000, when i could of gotten everything for 5000 and all the fishies would of been happy :cheer:

krj-1168

Well -superman, Sharpies get along great with Bonnets provided you get them about the same size & time.
As for tank decor - you can have some live rock - just not alot. But better still add in some eel grass(a form of macro-algae), that grows in sandy coastal areas - which will allow the fishes a place to hide.
And the really good thing about bonnets & sharpies - both species can stand water temps up to 87F (actually sharpies can tolerate temps slightly higher than that). But their ideal temp range is 77-84F.
Also for the record there is a Pacific species of sharpnose - found off southern California & Baja. The Pacific species is a darker shade of gray & grows about a 1 foot longer that the Atlantic species. The bonnets are found in the atlantic & pacific.

S

supermanvx

Well -superman, Sharpies get along great with Bonnets provided you get them about the same size & time.
As for tank decor - you can have some live rock - just not alot. But better still add in some eel grass(a form of macro-algae), that grows in sandy coastal areas - which will allow the fishes a place to hide.
And the really good thing about bonnets & sharpies - both species can stand water temps up to 87F (actually sharpies can tolerate temps slightly higher than that). But their ideal temp range is 77-84F.
Also for the record there is a Pacific species of sharpnose - found off southern California & Baja. The Pacific species is a darker shade of gray & grows about a 1 foot longer that the Atlantic species. The bonnets are found in the atlantic & pacific.

yea ive actually done some research on the sharpies...i dont want a reef blacktip to overgrow then i have to figure out what im going to do with it...hate having to do that...plus i like how sharpies look real sleek, and they are smaller...i dont mind putting grass to grow, but i might have some rock scattered around, the bonnet i am not going to get, tank is not large enough...but definetly look into the sharpies...ill keep ya posted

fishnerd

Originally Posted by supermanvx
i thought about that...but i rather buy a $2000 chiller, than having $3000 worth of fish die...then rebuyin them with a chiller...not sure man...i would have to talk to a public aquarium, which most likely has a chiller...but this tank is also going to be in my garage which during the summer months will get hot.... or in the dinning room (but would cover french doors (which would be a good idea if i ever need to get behind the tank for some reason)...not exactly sure what im going to do with it, i get it tomorrow.
Public aquariums use heat exchangers, not chillers. For 6,000 gallons, I would consider going that route.

krj-1168

Most of the photos I've seen of sharpies are in the wild. The Public Aquarium that I know of that presently has Sharpies in their collection is the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas.
you said the tank's not big enough for bonnets - so what are it's dimensions? I ask because sharpies require similar dimensions to bonnets (give or take 1-2' in length & width).

S

supermanvx

Most of the photos I've seen of sharpies are in the wild. The Public Aquarium that I know of that presently has Sharpies in their collection is the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas.
you said the tank's not big enough for bonnets - so what are it's dimensions? I ask because sharpies require similar dimensions to bonnets (give or take 1-2' in length & width).
theres not enough foot room, its only 5 foot width

krj-1168

Hmmm.
Okay so how long is the tank.
-5ft is kind of tight even for a sharpie(6' in general the minimum recommended). Although averaging 3-3.5' in length - they still would have room to turn around. Still if a 4' long Blacktip Reef can fit in that tank, then a Sharpie or two is very possible.
At a 5' width - the tank must be long & tall.
An option for a swimming shark is the Brown smoothies - which are native to California - only grow to be 3 ft in length. And since it's a smoothhound, it doesn't swim all the time. The big problem with them is they're a cooler water species (requiring water temp under 76F).
The interesting possibility with brown smoothies - is that you could also keep cali horns as well.

S

supermanvx

hmm...it is on the way to my house now...so i dont know exactly what the dimensions are, but i think its like 25x5x4 or something like that, what ever would ad to 6000g...but i was pretty sure the width is only 5...now i am getting mad that i wont be able to have any cool sharks

krj-1168

Well a tank that's 25' long x 5' wide x 4' deep is about 3,740 gallons as a rectangular tank. As a oval it's a little over 3,550 gallons.
So the tank's either longer, taller, or hopefully a bit wider.
an oval tank that's 28' long x 6' wide x 5' deep - is about 5,990 gallons.
And with the tank at least 25' in length and 4' in depth - these deminsions more than cover the minimums for sharpies.
Also in my experience(2 1/2 decades of fishing and watching other fishermen catch them), I've seen dozens of sharpies. They are the number one shark caught along the carolina coast during the summer months, outnumbering blacktips, and bonnets by more than 3 to 1. I've personally never seen a sharpie larger than 42". Most adult sharpies I encountered are in the range of 36-40".
Now if you figure the average sharpie is about 40" in length & use the formula from "Aquarium Sharks and Rays" for active free swimmers (which is 1.5 x length)- you end up with 60"(5').
So sharpies are still very possible.