Adding a sump/fuge??

rigdon87

Ok im building my sump/fuge this week(40g breeder) and in one of the chambers there will be a dsb,LR and macro algae but my question is can i add this to my active tank with out any consequnces or will i see some kind of spike??

mech-a-nic

If the sand and rock are live you should be ok If there dead there might be a little spike depending on the amount you add

mech-a-nic

It would be best for live sand. Good to at least mix live with "dead" How much are you takling? I have a 75 gallon fuge and it only has 40lbs of crushcoral/sand in the center section the center is 24"long 17.5" deep 15" tall And I have sand 3.5" to 4" Deep
I just saw where you are using a 40 Gallon tank At most you should need 20 lbs I would live sand if you buget permits....mine is about 200 over budget but I am about done :)

neupane00

Originally Posted by Rigdon87
http:///forum/post/3068814
Ok im building my sump/fuge this week(40g breeder) and in one of the chambers there will be a dsb,LR and macro algae but my question is can i add this to my active tank with out any consequnces or will i see some kind of spike??

guys, sorry i am new.. what do u mean when people say "breeder" tank? sorry to go off topic

locoyo386

Originally Posted by Mech-a-nic
http:///forum/post/3068964
If the sand and rock are live you should be ok If there dead there might be a little spike depending on the amount you add
Hi there,
So adding alot of dead rock and dead sand to an established tank, there will be a spike?

florida joe

Originally Posted by locoyo386
http:///forum/post/3069444
Hi there,
So adding alot of dead rock and dead sand to an established tank, there will be a spike?
NO
what must be understood is that for you to get a spike in ammonia or nitrates you have to add something that is going to have an organic brake down. and that brake down has to be greater than any nitrifiing bactera in your tank, even if you do not have any established nitrification There should not be anything organic to brake down on “dead rock or sand”

mech-a-nic

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3069456
NO
what must be understood is that for you to get a spike in ammonia or nitrates you have to add something that is going to have an organic brake down. and that brake down has to be greater than any nitrifiing bactera in your tank, even if you do not have any established nitrification There should not be anything organic to brake down on “dead rock or sand”
Cured rock is free of dead or dying organic matter, whereas uncured rock may have dead or dying reef organisms attached to it. If you buy uncured rock you will need to clean it yourself. Don't place uncured live rock into an aquarium that has fish or other life forms living in it. It is likely to have dead sponges, crustaceans, and other dying organisms that will seriously pollute the water.

Yes technicaly it will not cause a spike. But "Dead rock" by and large what you will get is uncured so yes it can cause a spike. You would have to be sure you cleaned every little nook and crevis and remove any organic meterail. So I would precure any rock you add or not more than a few % of your total to let you tanks natral filtration catch up.

zero26

Mech, if you dont mind me asking what are the dimensions of your return section of your fuge, building mine really soon!

florida joe

Originally Posted by Mech-a-nic
http:///forum/post/3069485
Cured rock is free of dead or dying organic matter, whereas uncured rock may have dead or dying reef organisms attached to it. If you buy uncured rock you will need to clean it yourself. Don't place uncured live rock into an aquarium that has fish or other life forms living in it. It is likely to have dead sponges, crustaceans, and other dying organisms that will seriously pollute the water.

Yes technicaly it will not cause a spike. But "Dead rock" by and large what you will get is uncured so yes it can cause a spike. You would have to be sure you cleaned every little nook and crevis and remove any organic meterail. So I would precure any rock you add or not more than a few % of your total to let you tanks natral filtration catch up.
I hate to disagree but I have never heard of uncured rock being called dead rock. And if the rock is dead it has not organic life on or in it hence no chance of spike.
There are certain topics, which I feel in some small way I am able to debate, this may be one of them. If I were to go to the shore and pic up a rock it may or may not have life inhabiting it. If I were to take this rock home and put it in a bucket of bleach I would in fact sterilize the rock. This rock would now be classified as dead. The rock its self is not dead but it is devoid of any life. If I were now to put this dead rock in my tank it would have no effect on my bio filtration load (no spike). It may colonize bacteria grow micro and macro algae on it and present a home for critters. If this happens we now call this rock live. Uncured rock, as we know it is rock that has sustained life on or in it and for what ever reason this life is dieing. Introducing this dieing rock can cause a spike if our bio filtration cannot handle the degrading organics. This rock is not dead it has portions of it which are dieing off. All uncured rock once sustained life. Dead rock as I have stated is devoid of life

mech-a-nic

Some of us get rock off of other people I E Craigslist from tanks that buster or was just given up on. and it is commonly sold as dead rock weather its 1 day dead or 1 year. I just wanted it to be clear. As I said you are correct if it is truely dead rock. with nothing organic left on it.

Also If you bleach a sponge and kill it and leave it in a hole you might have over looked it is still organic and still there. Just better safe than sorry :)