Adding fish to a newly setup tank

98silverstang

Hello,
This is my first post but I have been doing alot of reading over the past few weeks. At times the reading confused me more then I already was lol. I currently have a 55gal tank with fish only. It contains a hang off the back filter, 2 powerheads about 40lbs of live sand and 3 blue damsels. The tank has been running for 3 weeks with the items listed above and I want to add a yellow tang and a cleaner shrimp. I am having the water tested tonight before I buy anything but do you guys think it's to soon to add anything? The fish seem happy and healthy. The water is super clean and all seems well. I am planning on adding a protein skimmer this week as well.
I appreciate your input.
Thanks
Alain

meowzer

HMMMMM....So you are saying you cycled your tank with damsels???
And you have had your ammonia and other spikes...already
And you do realize that a 55g is too small for a yellow tang

98silverstang

Yes I added 5 Damsels to my tank after letting it cycle for 24hrs. My local store suggested I do it this way so the tank would cycle quicker. Some places say a 55gal tank is fine for a yellow tang others say a 75gal. Guess it's s good thing I mentioned it on here. This is exactly why I joined this site because seems to be alot of mis-information out there. At this point how would I know if they spiked or not if it tests fine and the fish seem fine?
Thanks
Alain

meowzer

WELLLL...You should have been testing your water daily..Do you have a good test kit?
Also a lot of people don't belive in cycling with live fish (me being one), but I guess since you already have them...that doesn't matter anymore....Do you plan on keeping these damsels?
I think the general consensus is no tangs in a 55g...sorry

98silverstang

Thanks for the info. I will be picking up a test kit this weekend. I had them test it and all my levels were fine.
Thanks
Alain

don trinko

As above ;You shouldhave test kits to test your water for ammonia,nitrites,nitrates,Specific Gravity, and PH as a minimum.
For me a complete cycle takes close to 6 weeks. You can tell it is done when the nitrites go to zero and nitrates stant to build up.
When you cycle a tank with fish you are cycling for the bioload of the fish that you use to cycle . This means that you have to add fish slowly and wait for a couple of weeks before adding more fish. If you add to many fish you will have another cycle. Some fish can not take this and will die.
all of this IMO; Don T.

98silverstang

I have a specific gravity tester and will be picking up the rest this weekend. The local fish shop tested my water for all of the items listed below and they all fell with in safe specs. They did suggest I add one fish then wait a week or 2 to make sure everything is ok. I ended up buying a Fox Face venomous. They said it should do fine in my tank. Hope they are right.
Seems to be a large variance with what they say can work in a tank vs whats on this site. Are the fish limited because of size they grow too or just because of territory?
I've had Cichlids for years but this is my first go at saltwater.
Thanks
Alain

meowzer

The variance is due to...we are not selling you fish or supplies...we are looking out for the hobbyist and the livestocks best interests.....
I personally would not have bought that fish yet...You really should have the test kits first
AND what exactly does "safe specs" mean>??????
PLEASE READ:
Size: 4-6 inches
Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Docile
Reef Safe: MONITOR WITH CORALS
Diet: Pellet, Greens, Flake
Acclimation Time: 3+ hours
Minimum Tank Size: 75 gallons

Coral Safe: NO
Invertebrate Safe: Yes

98silverstang

I understand and that is a good point.
ammonia 0
nitrites were where they are suppose to be as were the nitrates and PH
How often should the water be tested? They tested it today before I bought the fish. Like I said I am buying a kit this weekend. The protein skimmer will also be purchased. I won't be adding anymore fish for at least another 2 weeks.
Alain

98silverstang

Ok so at this point I've apparently done this entire thing all wrong. I trusted what they said and went with it. Is he going to die because the tank is smaller then he needs?

Alain

meowzer

Originally Posted by 98SILVERSTANG
http:///forum/post/3047767
Ok so at this point I've apparently done this entire thing all wrong. I trusted what they said and went with it. Is he going to die because the tank is smaller then he needs?

Alain
SORRY...I also learned the hard way...I ALWAYS ask here first.....
You should be testing your water every day with a new tank....also since you have added fish you should be testing every day...when the LFS told you nitrites an nitrates were where they should be...I HOPE they meant ZERO
Nitrites as ammonia must be 0.
I do not know anything about Foxface...maybe someone will answer that...I do believe though (IMO) that when it grows you should give it away...How big is it now?

98silverstang

It's about 2" long at most right now. I don't have much in the tank other then a cave for them to hide as well as a fake coral tree type deal. I have another 55gal tank I was going to make a reef tank out of down the road. I think instead I will buy a 120gal or bigger tank and move all these guys in there.
thanks a bunch for all the info.
Alain

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3047775
It's about 2" long at most right now. I don't have much in the tank other then a cave for them to hide as well as a fake coral tree type deal. I have another 55gal tank I was going to make a reef tank out of down the road. I think instead I will buy a 120gal or bigger tank and move all these guys in there.
thanks a bunch for all the info.
Alain
Do you have any Live Rock in the tank? I only saw you mentioned Live sand

98silverstang

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3047777
Do you have any Live Rock in the tank? I only saw you mentioned Live sand
No I don't have any live rock only the live sand. Was told thats all I really needed for a fish only tank setup. I wish I would have found this place before I started this tank.

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3047779
No I don't have any live rock only the live sand. Was told thats all I really needed for a fish only tank setup. I wish I would have found this place before I started this tank.
WELL you really need to get some LR...you said you had a cave
...what kind of cave...got any pics
You probably have FW decorations...that will need to go to...."(been there done that
) I had quite a few

98silverstang

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3047787
WELL you really need to get some LR...you said you had a cave
...what kind of cave...got any pics
You probably have FW decorations...that will need to go to...."(been there done that
) I had quite a few

Lol pretty much the 2 rock structures in the tank are fake. The only think in there alive are the fish and live sand. Ok I guess I will add some live rock to the mix. How much is needed in a 55gal tank? I thought reef tanks were the only ones that used live rock. Probably an ignorant statement on my part but I didn't know any better.
Alain

meowzer

They say 1lb LR per gallon...BUT now you have to make sure you get cured Live rock....
There are some really good threads on this site about starting a tank...In the New Hobbyist section...top threads..I think you should read them, also get a few books...one good one is The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner
I think...before you do another thing...you should do some research

98silverstang

Thanks a bunch. I will do some more reading. I appreciate you taking the time to help a newbie out. Here I thought I was on my way.... wow was I wrong.
thanks again
Alain

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3047807
Thanks a bunch. I will do some more reading. I appreciate you taking the time to help a newbie out. Here I thought I was on my way.... wow was I wrong.
thanks again
Alain
Hey...I have had FW for years...I had always wanted SW..I HAD NO CLUE about most of this stuff...I have only had SW going on 11 months, but I have a 225g, a 54g, and a new 29g..I READ A LOT OF THREADS
Any questions you have feel free to ask...I made a few COSTLY mistakes with equipment before I found this site....

spanko

First off you have been getting some great information here about you situation. Your fish store seems to have been pushing you along faster than most here would have, and as mentioned had you cycle with live fish. Be aware that the cycle in a tank creates ammonia, it is deadly to fish and those that survive have gone through what would amount to chemical warfare. That said however in the hobby this was the normal thing to do, cycle with fish, and some people still do this. As Meowzer and dontrico said and I will join in on, this is not the acceptable method now. Done and over with now, can't go back. You say you started with 5 damsels and now have 3, I would suggest to you that the two that did not make it probably succumbed to ammonia poisoning.
Going forward I would suggest, as Meowzer has, that you stop adding anything live to your tank right now.
The fish store was correct in telling you that you can keep a fish only tank with only sand. What they did not tell you was to do so you better have some high end filtering arrangement for the tank. High volume mechanical and chemical filtration to remove the waste generated by the fish would be a must. This waste would not only come from the fish, but also from the food that you would feed them that is not eaten and falls to the sand bed to decay.
My opinion on what you have right now would be again to stop adding anything and start doing some reading.
Specifically on;
The ammonia cycle
Nitrifying bacteria, (the fiofiltration),its role in our tanks, where it resides, and how builds itself.
Live rock, what it is, what does base - fully cured - and uncured mean and how do we add it to our systems.
What are water changes, why do we dot them, and how do we do them.
Getting a good quality skimmer in your tank is a must right now. The hang on the back filter you have needs be cleaned diligently for the situation you have right now. Does it contain carbon and or a filtering material like floss or pads? The carbon should be changed out twice per month right now and the floss I would change daily. You can go to the fabric or craft store in your area and purchase a bag of Polyester fiber fill that can be your floss. Much less expensive than buying it at the fish store.
Threw a lot at you here, take your time and read it over a couple of times then go here and read, then read again this post
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/301033/101-tips-to-beginning-and-maintaining-a-saltwater-aquarium
After doing so you will have some questions that you should come back here to ask. Don't be afraid to do so. Lot's of good help here as you have seen already from Meowzer and dontrinco.
Welcome to SWF.com and we look forward to helping and learning from you. Lastly we are picture hogs so when you get settled a little show us your stuff!!!!